Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

NetShare Unlikely to Return to U.S. App Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Despite some early assurances, it appears that Nullsoft's NetShare application may not return to the U.S. App Store at all. NetShare was an iPhone application that appeared briefly in the iTunes App Store before its removal. The application allowed users to share their iPhone's cellular internet connection with their laptop over Wi-Fi.

In speaking to Wired.com, the developer reports that Apple is currently reviewing user contracts with their mobile phone providers, including AT&T. Wired got hold of an AT&T spokesperson who confirmed that tethering is not allowed in the AT&T terms of service.

As a result, it seems unlikely that NetShare will return to the U.S. App Store but it does leave open the possibility that it will be available to international customers whose mobile carriers do not have such restrictions. Despite the removal of the application from the App Store, customers who purchased the application prior to its removal can continue to use it on their iPhones.

Article Link

Juo100

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Glad my phone is jailbroken then, wonder what O2 will say about it.

Comment

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
Luck ones that bought it!

I remember seeing a post of someone claiming that would laugh at the somebody that did not buy the App afraid that this would raise their bills with AT&T.

Well, it is your time to laugh a lot!!!:D:D

Comment

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
That sucks

This really sucks... What a great app and with "unlimited" data what the heck is the problem. I wish that ATT was not so money hungry and were more concerned about customer service. THIS SUCKS!!! I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get in on this when it was available. Maybe I'll just go the other route and jailbreak my phone and switch back to T-mobile :mad:

Comment

jessem

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
the "unlimited" is very misleading, I would dispute any billing issues if I were one of those people with a high bill. I bought it, but just as utility I don't think i'll use it to download anything large.

Comment

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Then i expect a refund. After downloading the App, it deleted itself from my iTunes library and from my iPhone. I can't find it on any of my time machine backups either.

-extends hand to steve- Pay up, Steve...

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Too bad they decided to discontinue this app, it's quite ingenious as well as useful for those with unlimited data plans. I give the creators credit for thinking outside the box with respect to this app, it's a shame people will not be able to use it.

Comment

jordo

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2006
Ok, so let me get this straight. If you pay for unlimited data transfer through AT&T with an iPhone plan, right? And both Verizon and Sprint permit tethering. So if you pay for unlimited data, why is it not permitted? If a customer want something, be it a good or a service, it is in a company's best interest to provide said good or service to them, even if there is an extra charge for it. All AT&T is doing is just slowing down progress, while continuing on with all of this contract nonsense, IMO.

Comment

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Ok, so let me get this straight. If you pay for unlimited data transfer through AT&T with an iPhone plan, right? And both Verizon and Sprint permit tethering. So if you pay for unlimited data, why is it not permitted? If a customer want something, be it a good or a service, it is in a company's best interest to provide said good or service to them, even if there is an extra charge for it. All AT&T is doing is just slowing down progress, while continuing on with all of this contract nonsense, IMO.

They permit it if you pay extra every month... as does AT&T... on their other cell phones. Who knows why they don't offer it on the iPhone.

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Glad I got this, may only use it here and there, but will be nice when it is needed. I just can't believe that Apple/AT&T cannot add native tethering functionality and just charge the $30 they do today for other devices.

I wish AT&T would handle the iPhone like every other phone they carry (i.e. optional data plan, etc). This whole "iPhone is special crap" is getting old.

Comment

alphaod

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Luck ones that bought it!

Well I'd rather have my $10 back. Don't even own the iPhone.

the "unlimited" is very misleading, I would dispute any billing issues if I were one of those people with a high bill. I bought it, but just as utility I don't think i'll use it to download anything large.

They don't charge you more, they just cut off your internet for abuse of service.

Comment

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
okay.. common sense question here.

So it's not allowed per ATT's terms, so it was dropped from the App store. But if this is allowed on other networks outside of ATT (Rogers, O2, Telstra, Vodafone, etc.) wouldn't it be logical to throw it up on the App stores for those particular countries? and if possible, couldn't you point your copy of iTunes to the App Stores outside the US (I assume there are others, not just the single App Store), or download an int'l version of iTunes, start it up, buy the app there, sync it to your iPhone, and off you go again?

Or am I way off base?

BL.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.