Netvibes Yes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Huntn, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Since iGoogle is on the way out...we have Netvibes fans here? It seems pretty capable.

My question: Can you take a URL such as the MacRumors Forum and turn into a neat little window like one of their apps/widgets? There are a variety of sites I visit daily and it would be nice if I could organize them as such.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I switched from iGoogle to Netvibes and have it configured to pretty much match what I had on iGoogle.

If you search in the Netvibes "Add Content" section for Macrumors you will see several preconfigured widgets for this site.

All most of those are is a widget made from the site's RSS feed. If you can't find a preconfigured widget for a particular site just copy the sites RSS link into the add a RSS feed section like in my screen cap.

[​IMG]

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I did a search on Macrumors and it came up empty... A second search found it. Thanks for the response!

Regarding RSS feed/links. I'm ignorant. What are they and where do you find them on a site? How about if you want a link to a MacRumors forum page? Thanks again!

4. Weaselboy, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Most sites you can just look on the page for the little orange RSS icon and copy that URL into your RSS feed reader of the Netvibes area I showed you.

Here is the front page of Macrumors and you can see the orange RSS link at the top right.

[​IMG]

Safari used to have a orange RSS thingy in the address bar that made this say, but Apple took it out in Safari 6. There are some extensions around that add it back if you want.

Here is a good article explaining RSS.