Network overloaded at college ballgame?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrFillster, Sep 27, 2008.

1. DrFillster macrumors member

Okay, for the second week in a row, my 3g has great reception at the college football game but can't make phone calls or browse the internet. Tried it on EDGE and 3G.

As soon as I leave the stadium area, phone works like a champ.

Can the network really be that overloaded? I've never had this problem with other providers.

Love to know your thoughts!

Phil

2. megax macrumors member

this happened to me at Yankee Stadium a few weeks back I thought it was because of the iPhone reception issues but my friends iPhone was working with no problem.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It happens sometimes when you get a large amount of people all together in one spot. Too many phones wanting to pull too much power for the cells in the area.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Who were the other providers?

Figure a tower might be able to handle up to 1,000 users at a time... so in a stadium with 50,000+ people...

Plus while you're in the stadium, your signal is attenuated as if you were in a building, so how many towers can you see?

Some places bring in a portable tower for each game to help out.

As for 3G data, ATT is infamous for only adding one or two HSDPA channels per tower. Yes, you can share that among many people (because it's over CDMA instead of GSM), but it's not much.

5. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago at a Gators game (*sigh*)

Interesting that its happening to others.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

Ever since I first started taking my cell phone to Texas Longhorns football games back in the 90's, I saw this behavior. It's not so much a draw on power as it is that there is no available bandwidth for the carrier to complete your call. Cell networks aren't designed so that every customer can be talking on their phones at the same time. And when an area is congested with users, the airwaves get congested too. Cell companies usually bring in COWs (Cell On Wheels) to help serve as many customers as possible.

7. DrFillster thread starter macrumors member

Prolly makes sense that Verizon has a huge display out front of the stadium. They probably have the COWs to satisfy demand. Loving the 3g if only Apple had gone with Verizon!

8. yode macrumors 6502

happens to me at the Coliseum (USC) all the time...

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yep happens all the time for me at Michigan Stadium. It doesn't matter if I am in the stadium or around it, there are just too many people around to do anything. It really pisses me off too, because I can't get any scores to other games while I am there.

10. hobo macrumors regular

Happens to me down here at the bright house. It's annoying, but I usually make a phone call ( or voicemail) and I get any text messages or anything I may have missed.

11. mets1125 macrumors regular

Its funny I was at Shea yesterday and the same thing happened to me...I had 5 bars 3G and couldnt make a call.

12. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Happened to me at the ballpark at arlington.. Kind of annoying but I was more interested in the red sox winning.

13. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502

gr8whtd0pe

yep happens everytime I go to a WVU game.. a Marshall U. game on the other hand no problems.. go figure ;)

14. heyp macrumors 6502

happened to me this past weekend at Notre Dame game

15. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

The same thing happened to me at the UGA vs BAMA game this past weekend.

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That's probably why I get such horrible 3G speeds at my dorm here in New York City but I get incredible 3G speeds at my house in the suburbs of Miami...

17. colleyvillesoon macrumors member

Everytime in Norman. Text are the only thing that work.

18. gotrees macrumors newbie

I had this problem for years before on Cingular. Never had this issue with Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon phones. My iPhone is useless even in smaller crowds like Cubs games.

It's no wonder that AT&T has had so many 3G capacity issues with so many new phones on the network.

I have a Sprint mobile broadband dongle and that usually gets 3 to 4 times faster transfer speeds than using the Netshare on the iPhone on AT&T's overloaded network.

The phone was good enough to get me to switch back but good lord AT&T is lousy.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've noticed this as well at a couple of the Colorado Rockies games. I'm pretty sure it will be just as bad at the Broncos/Jaguars game to. Like others have said, I think it is just the network being overloaded in that particular area due to the extra 30,000 users in the area.

20. jeeb75 macrumors member

Apple did go to Verizon first. It was Verizon who said no to Apple.

21. calvy macrumors 65816

It's all about capcity. Each wirless tech has the same limitations. You can only cram so many calls into a segment of the spectrum. So, if Verizon, Sprint, etc have few customers in your area, you're good to go. But with AT&T, Cingular, whatever, where I've always lived, as the popular carrier to choose, I'd ALWAYS have this happen when I went to support my Longhorns through my college years. This is way before the iPhone was even a wet dream.

Anyway, yes, it happens, sorry, tech limitation. Text is slightly more reliable. Or, like I used to do, keep redialing until it connects. If the other person you are trying to reach is also at the game, then most likely it'll go to voicemail, but you can play voicemail tag.

22. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

It takes me FOREVER to send texts/make calls at most gatherings of 40,000+ people. I was in Huntington last night for the WVU @ Marshall game, & it was a system overload.

23. chembox macrumors 6502a

I'm curious, how did you bump this 2 year-old thread?

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

at&t has just completed some upgrades around Coors Field in Denver. Good news for Rockies fans. Hopefully, they will start doing this at other stadiums as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_16037052#1592593

25. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I happened to search a question relating to football. This popped up. :p