Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewl232003

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
This happens to like ALL carriers at Beaver Stadium. Its not even possible to make a call or send a text. You would think since ATT is a sponsor they would have good reception but they dont :(

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah!

I was at the Minnesota State Fair the other week on a day when there was record attendance: (132,738 attending, the week after one days visit was in excess of 234,000 people!)

It wasn't just AT&T and iPhones that had issues, friends on other carriers and people around us were having problems.

That many people in such a small area is going to saturate what's available.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I marvel at the surprise that some people think bandwidth and connections are unlimited resources.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Happens to me at KU games in Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, KS, the Irony of course? "AT&T is the exclusive Wireless partner of the Jayhawks." Which results in multiple things on the screen asking people in the stadium to text something to AT&T. Every time "My F&*%^(NG iPhone doesn't work can be heard from throughout the stadium." Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint work like a charm every time. It's BS really, NOTHING works, and no AT&T 3G phones work, I left the stadium and got 20 Text Messages. AT&T really needs to step up on adding capacity at stadiums, especially ones they sponsor.

(P.S the later 3 carriers have COWS set up down the street, for what seems to be permanent installations for the Football season.)

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
My phone was pretty much useless at Wachovia Center earlier this year. Once I left, I was hit with a barrage of missed texts.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Hmm Im amazed at all the unique places where people cant get reception... I mean so many different locations even states away... I wonder what could be the reason... Sry for the sarcasm but yeah we know its because of the 10k-40k people with their cellphones on... Even if not in use still using data and pushing emails etc... Its just life until they figure out someway to fix it which obviously in 2yrs from when this thread was started they have not.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I'm sure I posted this way back on page 1, but let me reiterate....this is nothing new or iPhone related. Ever since my Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems service went to TDMA (10 years ago), every U of Texas football game I attend I run into this problem. You can see the COWs in place, but they apparently didn't do much to help.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It was irritating at first, not getting data and all, but after a while, I realized that it was nice to be at a game without people being able to reach me instantly, and without me having so much information available to me instantly. Just focusing on the game, the people around me, and the nice evening weather was a really nice change of pace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.