Network Three or O2? iPhone 4 UK...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaCamZa, Sep 11, 2010.

1. MaCamZa macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Right, im planning to buy the 16GB iPhone 4 from Apple online.

What is the more reliable/better network? Three or O2?

2. S.Kay macrumors member

S.Kay

Three. Hands down.

They are the "largest 3G network" for a reason you know. Plus, they offer a more whortwhile plan, and is cheaper in the longer run than o2. Only downside is the 24 month contract, but you will still be in time for the iPhone 6 :)

3. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

24 months contract but you can go for only £30 a month and 1Gb Internet, more than o2. Much better coverage and the price of the phone is much much lower.

Go with 3, if you don't like it there's a 14-day colling off period in which you can cancel the contract and return the phone.

4. kyussmondo macrumors member

I've never had any problems with O2 myself. I went on Vodafone briefly and didn't like it so I moved back to O2. I had bad experiences of 3 a few years back so I have never really touched them since, although they might be better now, I am just holding a grudge.

5. Mr dj mo macrumors member

Another 3 supporter here been with O2 for 5 years they where pants with orange for a year who where also crap been with 3 6 months and there signal and 3 coverage is brilliant.

Get between 3-5mbps download and a steady 350kbs upload at all times when im in a 3G area.

6. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

I would have to also give a thumbs up for 3 as well.

7. MaCamZa thread starter macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

I guess seeing as 3 have the 1 month contract on the iPhone 4 of £15 for that month, i can always test them out and if there crap, then ill change to the Pay & Go on O2. Is that a better idea?

8. xSPRINTERx macrumors regular

My iPad and new iPhone 4 (got it yesterday) are both on 3. Once your through the slight pain of the call centre to set up they are fantastic. I was in snowdonia 2 weeks ago (8 miles away from Barmouth) and still got a 3G signal on my iPad . And they are cheap as chips if your contact free. I did the rolling month on both iPad and iPhone.

9. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Personally I've had nothing but bad experiences from Three. Especially when trying to end my contract after my 12 months. The guy was from an Indian Call Centre, he refused to terminate my contract saying he could offer me an excellent new deal. When I refused and told him to just cancel it, he put me on hold until I stopped talking. He done this about 4 or 5 times.

He wouldnt even let me speak to his manager to complain. Finally I gave him an ultimatum, if he didn't close my account I'd be taking the matter further. His words were "whatever sir, your account is now closed. Have a nice day" and he put the phone down.

10. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I would vote for O2, they have UK based call centres and excellent customer service. Also while O2 do not have the best 3g coverage they do have the best 2g. Having reception in the majority of places I go is more important than having a patchy 3g coverage.

11. Lingham macrumors regular

12. MaCamZa thread starter macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

What is the difference between 2G and 3G? How significant difference is it?

13. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Please tell me your joking? :)

14. Jowl macrumors 6502

I've been with O2 for 2.5 years and been very impressed with the customer services and voice network - never a dropped call (well, until iPhone 4 :) )

However, their 3g coverage is poor imo. I'll be moving to Three sim only very soon. The only worry i have is that that i've heard the non 3G side of three isn't so good. But with my cheap three work phone, I've not had any problems.

15. MaCamZa thread starter macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Well.... ahaha that sounded awkward, no i get it now, but what do you think would be better for like if im on the go around the South-East England (Around Guildford/Woking if you know where that is ect.) and i just want to browse the net, say google/mac rumours and text/call? Would O2 be better for that or Three?

I've ordered the £15 micro sim only; 1 month contract (which is delivered for free) from Three for iPhone 4 and two free O2 Pay as You Go Sim's, so if i don't like one i can always switch, but what do you think is better?

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

In my opinion you will always want to get as much 3G service as possible mainly because it is high speed internet. Most of the networks in the UK offer decent 2G data services across EDGE which is enough for some Facebook, Twitter and email. Certainly won't make for a pleasant web browsing experiencing.

I'm with Orange and anywhere I've been in around the South East of England has 3G service and that probably goes for most of the networks out there.

17. MaCamZa thread starter macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

Im not really 'keen' on Orange though, seeing as they don't do great deals for what im looking for, and that's why i narrowed the networks down to O2 or Three.

I am mostly interested in 1month contracts and Pay as You Go for the iPhone 4. If you know any great deals on those sort of lines, please comment. :D Cheers.

18. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I quite like my deal on Orange. £25/m 1 month rolling contract so it's easy to get out of it.
    I get 600 mins, unlimited texts and 750mb of data. I also find their 3G coverage to be very good and now that they're merging with T-Mobile their network is going to be the biggest in the UK.

19. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Neither.

Go with Tesco on a 12 month contract like I did.

Excellent customer service, no dropped calls when transferring from 3G to 2G like you get with '3'. £229 up front plus £35 pm for 750min voice, unlimited texts, 1GB data, cloud WiFi. And it's O2 network so good coverage and speed and most importantly reliability. O2 have more iPhone experience than anyone as a carrier. Oh, and you get triple clubcard points on upfront and monthly charges. 12 month contract makes this a great deal for me.

I have 2 accounts with '3' for my teenage kids and have had to deal with customer service too many times to be able to recommend them. Tesco was a breeze in comparison.

Look for a thread I created a few months ago asking the same question. It has some good info in it about stuff like '3' filtering the Internet etc.

Good luck,
    Craig.

20. MaCamZa thread starter macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

What do you mean by 'rolling contract'? Also, the only thing that worries me about the deal from Orange is that you have to pay £25 just for a month. I know there are more expensive ones out there for the iPhone, but you can get at least £10 cheaper from Three and O2.

Also i've just done the Coverage checker on all networks that i preferred and these were the results. The 1st one is Orange, 2nd is O2 (btw the white squared lined spaces with the blue squares next to them is where the writing of the places where i live is, i just erased them out for privacy use) and the 3rd is Three.

Which one is the best?

Attached Files:

21. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I would warn against putting too much confidence in the coverage checkers. Just treat them as guidance and ask neighbours or family or friends what sort of coverage they get when they are near your house. I'm sure you will have a neighbour or friend/ family member who is on each of the networks. Either that or get some free SIM's to try them out.

22. Random Gecko macrumors member

I was considering just upgrading with T-Mobile as my contract is up next week but I may well look at Three now?

23. MaCamZa thread starter macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

With Three you do get more Stuff for your money by the looks of this...t

24. MaCamZa thread starter macrumors 6502

MaCamZa

I understand not relying 'fully' on these results but what is the better coverage i would likely to get? Three, O2 or Orange?