Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Jo-Kun said:
sorry if I make spelling errors... as you might find out... english is not my native language... but if I would write in dutch... it would be more tiring ;-) but at least I'm makeing an effort... right? and so far you're the first one that had complaints about my english here... sorry for not being perfect ;-)

hmm do I sense some arrogance here?

I'm comparing speeds between a +2y old G5 and a brand new MacBook... 2x1.8Ghz vs CD1.83Ghz ok 3.5GB vs 2GB ram... 7200rpm vs 5400rpm HD
I'm not comparing them by opening my 1.2GB scans on both...
everyday use means: opening 10MPixel Nikon RAW files in PS CS2 and 'developing' them into Tiff files. tiff files wich are 28.8MB in size so the amount of ram I have doesn't infuence this (I only had it installed to work with very big files...)
most other things I do in PS are influenced by my mouseclicking speed ;-)

but if we compare other software... opening Word/Excell/Entourage takes AGES on the MacBook... and those aren't heavy programs right?

is there anyone here who has a printer on his PPC mac that is shared with his intel mac? if there are: do you allso encounter problems if you want to print a word doc or some picture in PS sent from the intel to the PPC? here the program quits unexpectedly 9 out of 10 times...

the apple 'genius' at my local apple dealer replied: why don't you send your file trough the network onto the G5 open it there and print it? hmmm why did they invent printersharing? but I have to cut him some slack (yep learend that one 5 sec ago :D) he applied for his job out of love for the iPod... as did some of his colleagues...

Neither Word or PS is Universal, yet. They are running emulated. The fact that PS is usable with an emulator on a fairly low cost laptop is pretty impressive. New versions of both should be out next year. In the mean time, I recommend the Gimp for graphics work and either Pages or ... drawing a blank on great open source word processor... not OpenOffice, native aqua support, starts with an A... someone help me out.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
bearbo said:
1st of all, learn your spelling, it's tiring to read your post
I desperately hope you're trying to be funny here.

If not, might I suggest not trying to correct others until you correct your own grammar, or lack thereof.

:rolleyes:

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I didn't feel like reading this entire thread, but I just have to say this...

You purchased a rev. A product. What do you expect? Purchasing a rev. A product is always a risky thing to do. You should've either gotten an iBook or PowerBook or waited a few months before getting the MacBook. Like someone else said, enjoy your Dell. :)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I will agree with people here that are saying salut, adios, etc. I can't stand these kind of people. Buy one product. It can be their first from the brand. The product is a lemon. They classify all of the other products and the companies entire offering as crap. People who expect the Intel switch to be easy is foolish. Hell, this whole thing does have the scent of rush job since Apple pushed the entire switch into one year, instead of 2. While I do think it has increased the rev a problems with the Intel Machines, it would of still been rough if Apple stayed with the 2 year plan.

Let me make an analogy here. A person goes buys there first Toyota knowing Toyota makes reliable cars that get lets say 30/40 fuel economy. So the person buys the Toyota. Two weeks after ownership the car blows a manifold. Gets it fixed. One month later the transmission goes. Gets fixed, etc. And fuel economy is 20/32 in real world driving. Just because the persons Toyota was a lemon the person starts saying, " I thought Toyota's didn't have problems? Guess I was wrong. Toyota makes POS vehicles." Sadly, people do have that mentality that one bad product destroys the reputation of a company/product. Most of us should be aware of the Avalons first year problems. People have stated in a survey done by Consumer Reports that they would never buy a Toyota because their Avalon had problems.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I've got a PowerBook G4. I don't know what Revision it is, but I do know one thing, it is FLAWLESS. Changed the hard drive and combo drive, but that is after being 3 years old. Does anyone know what Revision it is?

PowerBook G4 Ti 800MHz/DVI 15.2"

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Jo-Kun said:
is there anyone here who has a printer on his PPC mac that is shared with his intel mac? if there are: do you allso encounter problems if you want to print a word doc or some picture in PS sent from the intel to the PPC? here the program quits unexpectedly 9 out of 10 times...

the apple 'genius' at my local apple dealer replied: why don't you send your file trough the network onto the G5 open it there and print it? hmmm why did they invent printersharing? but I have to cut him some slack (yep learend that one 5 sec ago :D) he applied for his job out of love for the iPod... as did some of his colleagues...

Yeah I do it all the time. I have a xerox laser printer hooked up to an iMac G4 running OS X 10.2 and I use my MBP to print to it all the time. It takes awhile(because the laser needs to warm up or something) but 4 out of 5 times it prints.

bigjimbob

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I ordered my first ever mac the week the macbooks came out. Bought it purely on the rave reviews i had read of OS X.

Having come from a desktop PC i can't tell if my macbook had a moo or not (so quiet in comparison). It does get pretty darn hot but i have had nothing but joy out of it.

So glad i didn't get a dud...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Counterfit said:
It's generally not a good idea to vent about something a forum dedicated to fans of the thing you're venting about.

Unless you're venting about the phone support/customer service.

I thought it would be a great idea, those same people can make that person feel a lot of better by helping him/her and resolve and give their experience to see if something can be done about it. Which a few people did.
Of course not everybody is going to act in a mature manner when dealing with something like this.

p0intblank said:
I didn't feel like reading this entire thread, but I just have to say this...

You purchased a rev. A product. What do you expect? Purchasing a rev. A product is always a risky thing to do. You should've either gotten an iBook or PowerBook or waited a few months before getting the MacBook. Like someone else said, enjoy your Dell. :)

You should have read the thread.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
September 20th, 2006 - Apple Announces New Ad Campaign

Building on the success of the Switchers campaign, Apple are now moving onto phase two - Bitchers. The cross-media campaign will depict recent Switchers expressing their disbelief at how shockingly rubbish Apple is when compared to Dell.

Steve Jobs was unavailable for comment, probably because his MacBook had exploded for the eighteenth time that week and why should he have to put up with this crap it never happened with Windows oh God I miss the old days when everything was great.

http://www.apple.com/bitchers

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
generik said:
Apple basically ships these things out the door regardless of condition, so with Macs you get worse odds than "any other computer". Quite frankly apart from refurbs I never had good experiences with any of my Macs either.

They bought 2 Thinkpads back in january at the agency where I'm freelancing sometimes. One for my boss and one for the marketing director. One had a faulty logic board, took them 2 weeks to replace it. The other one had a failing hard drive that was replaced after 1 week and would not turn on about a month later. Took them another week to get it repaired.

So yes, it can happen with any other computer, even with the "oh so great and reliable" Thinkpads many of you worship so much.

LionsKiss

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
HK
I am not suprised switching to Apple is not what many are willing to do when they are paying a good premium for MacOSX and yet it is still risky to buy a Rev A of any apple product regardless of the fact that they are charging a lot more than the rest.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
All this talk of RevA MacBooks etc. has there been a revision? How can I tell which revision mine is? Surely the launch versions are just MacBooks unrevised and the RevAs are the first revision?

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
MartinJ said:
I am not suprised switching to Apple is not what many are willing to do when they are paying a good premium for MacOSX and yet it is still risky to buy a Rev A of any apple product regardless of the fact that they are charging a lot more than the rest.

Also since Apple sells fewer laptops than other competitors, it takes more time to correct the issues since it takes more sales for them to realize product bugs.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Dude chill. You have a bad unit, so go back and ask them to replace it with a new unit or something. Your experience is not indicitive or typical of every person who buys a MacBook. You're pissed, and you have every right to be so. But then again, sh*t happens so you just have to deal with it one instance at a time. I'm sorry for you man, I have my fingers crossed on my soon-to-arrive MBP ;)

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
mrgreen4242 said:
... drawing a blank on great open source word processor... not OpenOffice, native aqua support, starts with an A... someone help me out.

Abiword?

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
chaosbunny said:
They bought 2 Thinkpads back in january at the agency where I'm freelancing sometimes. One for my boss and one for the marketing director. One had a faulty logic board, took them 2 weeks to replace it. The other one had a failing hard drive that was replaced after 1 week and would not turn on about a month later. Took them another week to get it repaired.

So yes, it can happen with any other computer, even with the "oh so great and reliable" Thinkpads many of you worship so much.

One more time, since I apparently enjoy the sound of my own voice over the voices in my head.

PC Mags 2006 Customer Satisfaction Survey

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2006499,00.asp

About Apple laptops they said:

"Is this a function of that unique passion Apple users have for the company's products? Perhaps. But, again, it's hard to question the number of units needing repair. Among first-year systems, only 7 percent needed repair—2 points better than Sony"

While they said this about the Lenovo's:

"Of course, a higher percentage of Lenovo notebooks needed repair—19 percent, and that's right around the industry average—but among first-year notebooks, 14 percent needed repair. That's the second-worst rating among leading vendors (behind Gateway's 15 percent). Though still within the average range, 14 percent of new systems needing repair is hardly cause for pride."

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
StartTday said:
Ok let me explain as to why I am never buying another Mac.

I had always held off on buying one. I am an artist in the entertainment industry and none of the programs I use, except for Photoshop are mac compatible.

Once they switched to Intel processors I took this as the perfect opportunity to give this a try. I haven't even installed boot camp yet.

But when I have deadlines to meet and the computer shut offs randomly causing me to lose work, or I cant even turn it on to at least back up the files, then there is a problem.

Ah yes, claims... too funny.

Like I said, before, it was a great computer while it worked.

Ah ha! I KNOW this guy. Ray, I'm coming over to save the day! Wait.. no I'm not.. I moved out. Anyways.. dude.. that sucks. Sorry to hear. My brother's looking to get a MB really soon too. Give me a ring today after work (post 6PM), a'ight mang?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
CrackedButter said:
I always thought Jeff Goldblum would be more charismatic personally.
Well played!
I am tired of the negativity on the boards as well and just as much say 'so long' to another person griping about there Mac. There is really nothing any of us on the board can do to help this guy. I am tired of it all. I guess I could just go away huh?

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
I'm sorry, this is just RETARDED... really...

I've owned probably 50 PCs and maybe 25+ Macs going back to the SE/30...

And I've NEVER had problems with any of my Macs that Apple didn't take care of immediately.

I have had MAYBE one or two issues out of the box... but NOTHING compared to what I've seen in the PeeCee world (and I use them)...

Heck, a buddy of mine JUST dropped off a Dell Laptop at my Office to see what I could do to fix his POS (he JUST bought it... and it's so slow and unusable... he's asking me to see if there is anything I can do about it)...

Don't forget... Apple uses the VERY SAME EVERYDAY COMPONENTS that other PC makers use... Ram, Hard Drives, Video Cards, Etc... even their Cases are made by a PC MAKER (ASUSTEK) in some situations...

So... to say that APPLE is inferior is just not even remotely POSSIBLE, let alone true...

:rolleyes:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
MACDRIVE said:
So would you call that Revision C or Revision D ? :D

Rev D, I had the same guy though 1ghz. Pretty much trouble free (though a fan died and I needed to replace the LCD after opening it from the box).

My Macbook is pretty terrible too, and since all other computers suck I might as well stick with Apple :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.