Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I went to Starbucks yesterday morning before school to buy some coffee. I was so tired, so I just asked the guy "How many shots of espresso can fit in a venti cup." It turns out to be 20 so that's how many I bought and drank. What ever you do, never be an idiot and copy what I did. During 1st and into 2nd period of school, I was SO hyper and I started twitching and being crazy like. Only 2 hours of hype. After that I completely crashed. I could barely stand up and I felt so nauseous, but couldn't throw up anything. Still into today, I don't feel so well so I stayed home.

Just warning you guys that more than 4 shots/ounces of raw espresso wont do anything more than give you a major crash. Not to mention I loaded it with sugar until no more could fit in the cup.

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
I can really say you only got yourself to blame - a single shot has the potency equivalent to ? 1 cup of ordinary black coffee, mixing this with sugar just sounds dangerous :eek:

I hope you return to some regular coffee diet in the future - a coffee-less future is indeed a bleak experience

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I cant believe they even let you do that.

A shot of espresso is supposed to be 1 per customer per order.

I mean, you might have actually done some damage to yourself, though I fail to see what or how.

I just hate caffiene!

I never drank coffee, tastes like poo to me, but I guess from where I stand I just see another coffee junkie acting the fool for their legal drug of choice.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Well, again, I dont drink coffee so I know jack about StarBux.

What I do know is that YOU are addicted and it saddens me that the govt doesnt tax coffee as much as tobacco or alcohol.

:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
after that experience you should try taking a month off from caffeine. I usually do this once a year. It sounds bad, but its worth it. You'll find you have more energy - the 20 shots hyper to crash and burn is an example. Daily caffeine does the same thing, only with less of a crash at the end.

But the day or so of a mild head ache as you purge the caffeine fix is worth it. And the first cup of coffee you have after the month is over is quite nice. :D

D

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I stopped drinking caffiene a couple of years ago.

My only intake was with sodas though.

I havent stopped drinking soda, but I dont buy a Coke, I get a Root Beer, or a Sprite.

And Im not adamant about NOT drinking caffeine either, as Ill have a mountain dew here n there. Or if all thats available is caffinated, Im not like a vegan and go "OMFG NO WAY GET THAT AWAY IM GONNA DIE!"

I just see all these people around me, coworkers, parents, friends who all need their coffee in the morning, or they actually feel terrible and cant function.

I dont want to ever live like that, so I never got into coffee, and thats my reason. I dont want to HAVE to drink it.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
If I drink more than two cups of coffee in an afternoon, I start shaking and feeling like my heart is going to explode. 20 expressos? I think I would have an instant heart attack!!

BTW, I normally drink one cup of coffee a day, in the morning when I get to the office.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
I remember once I had a huge cup of coffee from Einstein's Bagels. For some reason it must have been pretty strong cause I drank it and then I got very angry. Like almost out of control angry. I wanted to kill my roomate even though he wasn't doing anything. Then I realized it was the coffee that was making me feel this way.

I've heard of people going to the psychiatric ward after drinking like 24 cans of Mountain Dew.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well 20 shots is a bit extreme, caffiene can be useful, but from my experiences and everything that i have heard its best used in small dosages throughout the day rather than in large quantities.

a cup of coffee here and there will help keep you active and alert if you need it... but three cups of coffee in the morning won't do anything by lunch time.

i don't frequent starbucks as i used to... but when i was a daily customer my usual would be three shots of expresso in a white mocha with soy milk.

since i don't mind cool/cold coffee even i took my time to drink that every day, usually over the span of a couple/few hours and it worked well for me.

right now i'm trying to lean off of caffine for similar reasons as Mr.A stated.

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
Hummer said:
I went to Starbucks yesterday morning before school to buy some coffee. I was so tired, so I just asked the guy "How many shots of espresso can fit in a venti cup." It turns out to be 20 so that's how many I bought and drank. What ever you do, never be an idiot and copy what I did. During 1st and into 2nd period of school, I was SO hyper and I started twitching and being crazy like. Only 2 hours of hype. After that I completely crashed. I could barely stand up and I felt so nauseous, but couldn't throw up anything. Still into today, I don't feel so well so I stayed home.

Just warning you guys that more than 4 shots/ounces of raw espresso wont do anything more than give you a major crash. Not to mention I loaded it with sugar until no more could fit in the cup.

So how much did this cost you anyways? That sounds like easily a $20 drink.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
JLatte said:
At the Starbucks by my house, the baristas would have probably done it for free just to see if someone could actually drink it all. They rock. :)

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
JLatte said:

:p well it's 55 cents per shot. So it would have cost 11 bucks, but he only charged me 4 and some change. I pay more for my regular drink (triple white mocha).

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
That really can't be too good for your heart... Also, Caffiene is a diuretic, so you need to drink lots of water to replace what probably got flushed out today.

If you ever try quitting caffiene, good luck... I had to for medical reasons and I was irritable, crabby, and sleepy for about a week. After that, I was good to go. :)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
This is a wind-up, right? :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

I love coffee but the idea of 20 espressos makes me nauseous!

I normally just have an Americano in the morning and then occasionally a Frappuccino or a Macchiato in the afternoon. I recently added a double espresso to the mix and felt sick and awake half the night :(

I can't imagine drinking anything diluted that's "venti" sized, let alone something as concentrated as espresso... :confused:

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
*shudder* I know exactly how that feels.

During my days at uni, I'd work all night, getting through untold amounts of coffee. I'd usually make it onto the campus, hand in the essay, get home... and then *puke*.

I've done that 3 or 4 times, which is about 3 or 4 times too many. It's a horrible, horrible feeling that I've got no wish to repeat. I was a terminal procrastinator, which I've managed to get away from. Also, I tend to work best overnight (no idea why...), but I can only really do that if I've slept during the day beforehand. To top it off, I'm sorta addicted to that adrenaline rush when you've absolutely positively got to get something done before morning and you've got to pull an all-nighter.

The coffee and sleep-deprivation triggered puking isn't pleasant. But the sheer delirious joy of having pulled off some freaking awesome work under (stupidly, self-inflicted) pressure almost makes up for it.

These days, I'm only actually getting paid for the hours I put in at work. So I make sure I work my ass off during work hours and only during work hours (albeit with a few exceptions...)

Coffee's an evil substance when drunk by the swimming-pool load.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I get that from regular coffee/tea ANYTHING with caffeine. Apparently everyone gets that when they first drink something with caffeine but eep. Have enough energy as it is thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.