Never gonna be a Retina display on iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by waloshin, Nov 19, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

For there to be a Retina display on the iPad the display would have to be full HD, 1920x1080 or even higher. And I doubt that would happen.

Discuss.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That was a well discussed fact when th Retina display came out. Try MRoogle, you will find tons of this same thread all over the iPad forums.

3. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You wouldn't need to match the PPI because the average viewing distance on an iPad is likely twice that of an iPhone or iPod touch.

5. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Still too much for the GPU to handle

6. JulianL macrumors 65816

I disagree totally with the "never" bit. It'll definitely happen, and when it does the iPad will take a great leap in usability for office productivity apps. As smaller and smaller font sizes become readable without needing to zoom in then one can see more of a spreadsheet on screen and that makes a real difference in how easy it is to work with. I mostly do spreadsheet stuff but I suspect that the same would hold for word processing or presentation editing. For me the big debate about retina is not "if" but "when".

I've responded often in these forums when people say (wrongly in my opinion) that the very next iPad will surely have a retina display (which for the iPad I think that most people take as quadrupling the pixel count like was done on the iPhone 3GS to 4 upgrade). I still believe that the screen would be horribly expensive to manufacture right now, if possible at all, because the yields on the current process would have to be improved massively to get the same price points.

I've also posted about the CPU/GPU implications but this article from Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/qualcomm-teases-28nm-dual-core-snapdragons-pixel-punching-adren/) has made me think that we're actually a lot closer than a lot of people (including me) thought to getting there. The new 28nm Snapdragon talked about in that article is claiming 5 times the CPU performance, 4 times the GPU performance (which is exactly what's needed) and all that at a lower power draw vs the previous generation (75% of the power).

There are a few unknowns in the above regarding power draw. Is that just the idle figure or also at load? It's relative to the QSD8672 part and I don't know if that is a horrible power hog; 75% of pretty bad would still be bad. However that Engadget article does make me soften my view slightly on when the CPU/GPU power will be available at acceptable power drain to enable a retina display. I'm still shooting for 2012 or 2013 for shipping devices.

- Julian

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

On a 9.7" display, 2048x1576 would give approximately 266dpi which is below the iPhone 4's 326dpi but would still be a hugely impressive display.
    I'm pretty sure the iPad will, one day, have this as a resolution but I don't think it will be the next revision or the one after that: 2013 or 2014 is my prediction for seeing a display of that resolution on the iPad

8. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

It's more likely they won't double the iPad resolution, but multiply it by 1.5. They will have to get the programming done to have apps work with that though. I don't think we'll see a higher resolution for a couple more generations.

9. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Most iOS Apps use points instead of pixels. Programming in pixels is strongly discouraged in the interface guides, and all of the graphics and drawing API's in iOS 3 and up use points rather than pixels. Using points keeps everything nice and resolution independent.

There may be some games, that "optimize" around the guidelines that need work, but most should operate at different resolutions with minimal tweaks.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

11. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Apparently it's some kind of uber-resilient zombie undead horse.

Yes, lots of iOS apps are moving to points, which is a great step in the right direction. Unfortunately a lot of games are still running at old school pixels for resolution. After seeing what Android has done to its community with its fragmentation (just look at articles for Angry Birds on Android), I'd hate to see that happen to the App Store.

It'll get there eventually. But as usual, don't expect it in v2. I plan on buying my husband the v2 and keeping my original iPad for another year until v3 comes out. v2 won't be as "magical" for me to need to upgrade to. ;)

12. bri1212 macrumors 6502

retina display is a marketing term

when are you people going to realize that the term "retina display" is a marketing term that Apple made up. It doesn't really exist. It's like Kraft calling something "The cheesiest". It doesn't mean anything. It is a term used in their advertising. The iPad will definitely have better resolution as time goes on. However, I don't expect them to double the resolution by April.

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

But that's the point that the last few posts were coming to. In order to upgrade the resolution without breaking all of the existing apps, the "new and improved" iPad would have to either be a straight doubling of resolution (which, as everyone concurs, would be too expensive and too processor intensive), or use a fractional multiplier and risk making lots of apps look bad. Either way, developers would need time to fix their apps, so if a higher-resolution display is coming, we'll hear about it well before it ships.

14. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

LOL :D

After reading the thread, I imagined an ad for iPad 2 with the tagline, "Apple iPad 2 - it's the cheesiest!"

Well, the trick for higher resolution displays will boil down to a power and thermally efficient mobile GPU chip. The display tech and APIs are basically already there. Once the costs come down, we'll start seeing steps in that direction. I'm not betting on a resolution bump for iPad 2 though.

15. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

The iPhone needs a retina display as it's small, the iPad doesn't need one.

16. redman042 macrumors 68020

^^ What he said.

For now, too expensive, too much battery and CPU/Graphics load, and too soon to ask developers to support yet another resolution. Also, imagine how much space each app would take when packaged with the artwork needed to run natively at that res. :eek:

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't believe that we are going to see a Retina display on the iPad any time soon. Maybe a slightly highr resolution and an IPS panel, but that's it. The new iPad as I predict will be thinner, lighter, have two cameras and offer more RAM and a faster processor. That's about it.

18. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Doesn't matter how fine you can make the screen if your finger is still the same size.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The iPad already has an IPS panel.

20. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

wait wait

13" macbook pro = 110 DPI , people are like whoa what an awesome screen.

iPad = 132 DPI, people are like "no retina?! this sux!"

come on people!!

21. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Let's review the 100 other threads and not discuss.

22. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, you are right.

23. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

Beat it.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't say never, I'm sure the iPad will eventually get to that resolution, but it won't be for a long time. I'm guessing at least 3 or 4 revisions possibly longer.

25. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Never say never, but 1024 × 768 makes sense for 10", the iPhone highres makes sense because you have it at 2" of your eyes, but the iPad is like a laptop, and resolutions like 1024 x 768 and 1280x800 that make sense and noone complains