Never owned an iPad, so which to get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fraggot, Mar 8, 2011.

1. fraggot macrumors 6502

Never owning an iPad, I want to get some feedback from people who do own them and use them on a regular basis. Granted, the iPad 2 is not out yet so no real judgement can truly be made on which I should get.

But anywho, I plan to soon get an iPad but I'm not sure which one to go for. I could spend $349 and get a refurbished original iPad and probably be completely happy, or should I save up just a bit more and go for the newest of the new?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You can find your answer int eh 75 million other threads like this, since you'll only get the same answers in this one!

Good luck with your purchase!

3. Davichi macrumors 6502

Original ipad goes as low as 350 dollars. If you want to get the newest one, you would have to pay 150 dollars more.

I would not call that a little bit more...
    That's a lot more.

If original iPad does what you need, then buy original. If not, go for iPad 2.

4. aluren macrumors 65816

If another $150 is no big deal, then get the iPad 2. You can always sell it for around the same price if you don't like.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

If you are unsure what to get, read this piece by Marco Arment.

6. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Honestly you can get a ipad 1 for $310 or so. $300 is possible.
    The new ipad2 is $499+ tax which is roughly $560. That's almost double the price.

If the upgrades are worth it to you at that price, then sure but it's really hard for anyone to say until it is released and iOS 4.3 comes to the ipad1, the RAM info is released for the ipad2 and reviews come out, etc. and then there's a level playing field.

7. fraggot thread starter macrumors 6502

Well most people are usually asking which model to get(16, 32, 64) or wifi only or wifi+3g. I'm just asking from peoples personal experience and how they feel about the first one vs. the 2nd one.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Get a refurbished iPad. The 2 isn't worth the upgrade, especially if you're not one of those people who need the latest and greatest.

9. r2fa3l macrumors regular

get the 2nd one. its just like $150 more. in the long run its going to cost u.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you want an iPad for the cheapest price, get a refurb first generation model. They're great devices and it's a great price.

However, I plan on going for the newest model. Why? Well, first of all it's hard to not imagine a speed boost in a processor that has two cores instead of one. I may or may not use the camera some, but at least it's there. And I think I want to get the white one just to be different, although I was along the same thought about the iPhone 4. I didn't care enough to wait for something that never came.

You also must consider the iOS track record. The iOS 4.3 update is only for the iPhone 4 and 3GS. Some people probably bought an iPhone 3G when the 3GS came out to save a little money. Well, that phone is at the end of its OS upgrading life. You can still use the phone and it'll work fine, but you'll lose out on some AirPlay enhancements, speed boost to Safari, etc. It'll be even worse when iOS 5 is released.

The same will happen to the iPad line at some point. By getting an iPhone 4 instead of a 3GS, I can now use the Find My iPhone app and service for free. Little things like that will pop up, and I'd just rather have the latest technology and another year of OS upgrades.

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Let me guess... you own an original iPad?

Dual core, 9x more graphics power, thinner, lighter, cameras. Worth $150 to me.

There are already apps that won't run on the original iPad. And it'll only get worse from here.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A little early to get a feel on the old vs the new iPad :D

My take is how I looked at the iPhone. Bought the 1st one on launch weekend. The release of the 3G and 3GS left me wanting. I saw no reason for me to upgrade. But with the iPhone 4 I was bitten. My original iPhone was showing its age perhaps to me. But the screen on the iPhone 4 won me over.

Now I wonder how I did without the GPS with the MotionX Drive GPS app. Cellphone cameras never excited me as a photographer - till I played with my iPhone 4. I have the original iPad right now. I am in the same boat as as I was with my iPhone. Nice update; but not enough to make me want to upgrade right now....

Not into video editing, I can do FaceTime on my iPhone 4 if I need to... my opinion may change if there is a killer app that won't run on the iPad1. Am happy for the things I use the iPad for on processing power.

If I were looking to get an iPad today, I would look at the savings out there. My better half is disappointed in that I am not that psyched on the iPad2 - but then again for Valentine's Day I brought them kicking and screaming from their 6yo cellphone to the iPhone 3GS LOL

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Really depends on how you expect to use it. IMO, the most significant improvement in the iPad 2 is processing power and RAM (I hope as I've yet to see it confirmed). If you expect to play a lot of games or use apps that would benefit from more processing power, and want to use it for facetime, get the new one. On the other hand, if you only expect to use if for more basic functions (email, web browsing, music, watching video, basic gaming), you'll probably do just fine with version 1.

Deciding whether or not you need 3G data is a question only you can answer. I personally opted for a 3G unit after using a wifi only version initially and realizing relying on wifi for my data just wasn't cutting it. Also, if you're not sure yet, opting for a 3G unit may be worthwhile since you aren't obligated to active it initially and since there is no contract, can turn it on and off as needed.

14. RCGMac macrumors regular

Really?! Care to share what apps don't work for the iPad 1, besides iMovie (no camera = no iMovie)? Not saying you feel this way, but why are some people so down on the original iPad, why all the butthurt against the iPad 1? Is someone getting an iPad 1 really worth people looking down on them?

Granted I have had my iPad for less than 48 hours, but I can see it being something I use at least a couple times a day. I used it to cook dinner last night, I used Safari to find a good vegetarian red beans and rice recipe. After dinner I settled on the couch and read "The Daily" and "The New York Times" as well as some Angry Birds, before relaxing in bed and reading one of my Nook books. I also did some surfing and never ran into the slightest hiccup.

15. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Go big or go home. iPad 2 3G with 64 GB of memory.

16. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

That's a good article, but it left out the fact that AT&T vs Verizon isn't just a preference, Verizon charges an $36 activation fee, AT&T does not. so if you don't use 3G service every month (start/stop a lot) then verizon will keep charging the $36 (think they do it every 3 months, but still, that's more then the month of service actually costs)

17. juliancs macrumors 6502

The old one is no longer a bargain, considering the performance gains. Number 2.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

To be fair though, the 3Gs came out in June 2009; three months shy of two years ago. The truly cost conscious, who don't need the latest/greatest games & features, bought their 3G phones back then would do without the iOS improvements for three more months then buy one of the flood of iphone4's to hit the used market in June. :)

My guess is that there are some individuals who don't have a clear logical reason to upgrade but still "want" to. So they make the ipad1 sound like the worst piece of unicorn poop possible to help them self-justify their upgrade, when in fact just two weeks ago it was the most wonderful gadget imaginable. :D

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Buy the first one and it it doesn't meet your needs return it and get the new one.

Man, but unicorn poop is ridiculously good so even the worst piece of it is still pretty sweet.

20. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPad 2 is a lot more future proof than the original iPad. Video calling, better processor and graphic card, 512MB (hope..), $100 is simply worth. Even if you're thinking of refurbished iPad ($350), its still worth.

21. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I personally own a 64GB Wifi only iPad. I take the iPad with me where ever I go. I have a three years old so I loaded my iPad with Disney movies and toddler games. That way, she can keep herself busy and I can enjoy and eat.

I have about 45GB of Disney movies so 64GB fits well for me. I can manage a 32GB, but I would have to manage the movies and files, which I don't have time for. Now, I just sync and now worry about running out of space. Yes, 64gb in my situation is pure laziness (or don't have time). My kid is driving me crazy lazy.:D

22. RCGMac macrumors regular

My iPad 1 is the best damn unicorn poop I have ever had. :D It is strange how a month ago, the iPad 1 was the best thing ever, and now it seems to many people that it is one step above the bargain bin at Kmart.

If you want an iPad 2, by all means go for it. But for many people there is nothing wrong with an iPad 1!

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Silly fraggot, get the iPad 2.

24. Annerz macrumors regular

I've never had an iPad either but I'm gonna go for the 2.