Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Ordered a new 11" Air through Apple.com store. Received in the mail. I am noticing faint scratches by the trackpad and scuff on cover corner. Maybe these are considered machine marks. This is an 1.6, 4gb, 128GB model. Paid a premium so not sure if should settle.

If I ordered through Apple.com, do I need to handle this through them, or is this an in store genius meeting? I ordered the upgraded unit, so not sure they can address this in store.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• dn-1.asp.jpeg
    dn-1.asp.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 220
  • dn.asp.jpeg
    dn.asp.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 211

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
My 13 had stuff on the case that looked like scuffs but was really adhesive like material. It came off with a microfiber cloth and some cleaner. Are you sure they are scuffs?

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Neither rubs off. And they are dependent on the angle of view, which is why I didn't see them at first. Guess I will be calling Apple tomorrow.

Sorry, if you sell a product where aesthetics is integral to the product, then this type of quality control doesn't cut it.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Sned it back.

I only say this as my 13" macbook aluminium came with the smallest most tiny dent in the lid. I considered sending it back but seeing as everything worked perfectly and i couldn't afford the time without it i kept it....

Fast forward 9 months, and the superdrive fails. So i took it to the Apple store genius to get it fixed under warranty and even though they fixed it, they were being very 'arsey' about doing so as they examined it and found said 'dimple'.

I explained that it came with it and i just put it down to manufacturer error and decided to keep it, thinking that this would get them on my side completely as i didn't make a big deal at the time. I was wrong they questioned me beyond belief about where i kept it, how i carried it, had i dropped it, etc. Despite the the fact that i took it out of a neoprene case and it was inside a Speck hard case from day one!!!

Send it back, its not worth the hassle if you get a Genius like that should anything go wrong!!

superego

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Seems like a typical case of Apple's quality control. I guess they keep sending out flawed units like yours hoping that customers wouldn't return them, because it's hard to understand how something like that could pass inspection in the factory. Loose quality control is all about profit, so don't let them fool you into settling for anything less than perfect. Return it.

Glaxx

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Illinois
My 13 had stuff on the case that looked like scuffs but was really adhesive like material. It came off with a microfiber cloth and some cleaner. Are you sure they are scuffs?

Same thing happened to me. I freaked out when I saw it, but got a slightly damp microfiber cloth to remove it.

If yours definitely won't come off with simple cleaning/wiping, I'd definitely take it in. No reason to have a brand new machine come out of the box with defects.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I called Apple.com. They are refusing to exchange the item because it was a custom (upgraded product). They are telling me their policy is no returns or exchanges on built-to-order items unless DOA. They directed me to their return policy online, but I see no such wordage.

I'm wondering if I should take this up with my credit card (AMEX)

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I called Apple.com. They are refusing to exchange the item because it was a custom (upgraded product). They are telling me their policy is no returns or exchanges on built-to-order items unless DOA. They directed me to their return policy online, but I see no such wordage.

I'm wondering if I should take this up with my credit card (AMEX)

That is unacceptable and untrue. Call back and talk to a different person, you got an ******.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Precisely. That is actually not a true statement. This is a completely Apple-offered configuration, and Apple completely put the unit together before it ever shipped to your hands.

I could see the person's argument if this was a product not offered as a configuration from their store, and some 3rd party decided to *add* a config.

The person you talked to obviously had an issue with your complaint and told you a story.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I have placed a dispute with AMEX. At best, Apple was offering $50.

It's not like I changed my mind and want to return the product. Apple, you sold me something with defects on it, and you're telling me I'm stuck with it? And even better, I paid extra for this privilege?

Last edited:

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Update: Spoke to another CS agent. She was very kind, and though it took some time on the phone with upper management, we worked out an exchange.

I still think receipt of defective merchandise, BTO or not, should be a non-issue exchange. Regardless if the issue is cosmetic or hardware. Regrettably, I think will think twice now about buying BTO configurations if there are no guarantees in places to protect my purchase.

potentpotable

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Jeez, what's with the ******* AppleCare reps?

I'm hearing more and more - in addition to my own experience - instances of Apple refusing to do anything for something that THEY are at fault.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I will say that both reps were polite, as was I throughout the exchange. I only mention that because I think keeping cool can go a long way toward getting things resolved. I will also say that I see no mention in Apple's return policy (on their website), saying that BTO units cannot be exchanged. It says Personalized Products cannot be exchanged, but that is in reference to engraving. I asked the first rep to direct me to this policy online, and after we both visited the page, it was pretty clear this policy wasn't spelled out. I was told Apple does not do exchanges for something that was essentially "superficial". Sort of ridiculous when Apple hosts 5 minute videos on their site selling the beautiful aesthetics of the unibody build.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Jeez, what's with the ******* AppleCare reps?

I'm hearing more and more - in addition to my own experience - instances of Apple refusing to do anything for something that THEY are at fault.

Not that I don't believe the OP, but it is nearly impossible for him to prove that the scratches were there when shipped.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Maybe that's why so many folks make unboxing videos. :)
Ok, I kid. But proof is an automatic bonus for doing so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.