New 12-Core Mac Pros Now Available for Order

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I use FCP, I have never used Avid but out of curiosity what model would be best for Avid? I only ask because one day I may start to use it, doubt it but I want to keep my options open. Like FC I started with express and may do so with Avid just to see what I prefer. If I get really into Avid who knows what will happen. I love FCP don't get me wrong.
If you have deep pockets then entertain the thought of Avid.
I personally would not go with Avid due to the hight cost.
I use it at work with a Nitrix DX system.
If you dont have a yearly support its a pain and very scary specially if you have high end clients.
I teach and use FCP.
If I had to start my own company and I dont have deep pockets, FCP or Adobe would have to do.
Avid has strick requirements.
None of the new systems fit cause they havent received one yet for testing.
Im on the fence with a huge budget to replace older Mac Pros here.
I wont be buying until I know what video cards are available.
I need something close to the Nvidia Quadro 6000 :)

Houston

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
A few people have already received there new MP today with more coming tomorrow.
FWIW, I just got off the phone with Fedex International and found out my computer is still sitting in Hong Kong. Been there for TWO days because of an overload of cargo. Representative told me a similar thing happened when the iPhone first shipped.
She said if it gets out of there tonight and in to Anchorage, where shipments clear customs, I should have it on Monday. It's gonna be a LONG weekend. :)

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
12 Core and FCP 7

I have two edit rooms running with two year old 8 cores and FCP 7. Both of those rooms run flawlessly. I now need a third. Is anyone out there working with a 12 Core and FCP 7. As the 12 Core has only been out a month I'm hesitant to go for it but then again I'd love to have the speed. My footage source is all Panasonic Hi-def. Any thoughts?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I have two edit rooms running with two year old 8 cores and FCP 7. Both of those rooms run flawlessly. I now need a third. Is anyone out there working with a 12 Core and FCP 7. As the 12 Core has only been out a month I'm hesitant to go for it but then again I'd love to have the speed. My footage source is all Panasonic Hi-def. Any thoughts?
If you have the budget do it ;)
It doesnt use up all the cores from what everyones saying but I always think of the future. If they re-write it for 64bit and all cores, your at least ready for it :)

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You won't see much of an improvement now, but you will for sure when you see core aware FCP7 and other pro apps. Compressor as far as I remember is core aware, and some other encoder apps as well, so you'll faster encode times.

Then you'll also be able to run multiple apps at the same time and those apps will be able to run on two or more cores themselves leaving 10 others (22 theoretical) to be used by other apps.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Right now almost nothing in Final Cut Pro (most importantly the rendering/exporting) is made to support more than one core (which is downright pathetic).

Compressor will take advantage of all 12-cores and 12-threads, so long as you set up a cluster with Q-Master which is not difficult.

Let's hope that the new version of Final Cut will finally be a 64-bit, multi-threaded, Cocoa app. Apple recently made fun of Adobe for using Carbon, yet they still haven't updated their own apps. It's getting really annoying. Final Cut is a great program, but it is in dire need of some attention.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Right now almost nothing in Final Cut Pro (most importantly the rendering/exporting) is made to support more than one core (which is downright pathetic).

Compressor will take advantage of all 12-cores and 12-threads, so long as you set up a cluster with Q-Master which is not difficult.

Let's hope that the new version of Final Cut will finally be a 64-bit, multi-threaded, Cocoa app. Apple recently made fun of Adobe for using Carbon, yet they still haven't updated their own apps. It's getting really annoying. Final Cut is a great program, but it is in dire need of some attention.
Agreed 100%. Not only does Adobe have the leg up with 64 bit executable files for Premier, they also have the leg up in their rendering engine. I have been using Premier for some time now professionally for a client that demands it, and it's not that smooth, but it sure as hell doesn't need to render after every little change or mixed media clip.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
12 Core and FCP

Well, I placed the order for the 12 core. I guess it's more for the future than now. For you FCP users, I also ordered a Galaxy Raid system. My edit rooms must have 50 (or more) 1TB drives hanging around and it's a mess. I have two edit rooms, this way both FCP systems can access the same material. I'm hoping this will clean up problems rather than create new ones! The 12 Core will be delivered next Friday, the Galaxy a couple of days after that.