new 15 i7 mbp getting too hot on small tasks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Aug 19, 2010.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

When I'm browsing through firefox, the CPU temp goes from 51 to 55 degree celsious. the left side palmrest seems to be hotter than the right side palmrest. Is it me, or are these normal temps if browsing through firefox?

HD Macintosh: 37
    CPU: 54
    CPU Heatsink: 45
    Enclosure Base: 42
    Enclosure Base 2: 42
    Enclosure Base 3: 40
    GPU: 46
    Heatsink b: 44

Another thing I noticed is that whenever I watch a youtube video, the temp rises up to 60 degrees. I know that macs are not friendly with flash, but I was concerned if my new mbp is heating up more than it should. These results are from the istatpro widget.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That is actually cool. Furthermore, those are regular temperatures for a notebook. Now as per a desktop, those are not normal.

Your worry temperature should 90*C and over.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Those temperatures look absolutely fine to me.

4. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

I just asked because whenever I rest my left palm on the left palmrest, I can feel this side more hotter than on the right side. It's kind of hot to the touch

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Do you instantly pull your hand back in pain? Or can you just feel the warmth?

6. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Not pain to say the least. But, just warmer than the right side.

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Different parts reach different temperatures and are dotted around the machine. The temperatures reported by iStat seem perfectly normal.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

The left side will be hotter.. I believe that's where the heatsink is mounted ;)

Mine generally sits around 40-50C when I'm browsing, it completely varies though. Anything under 100C is fine :)

9. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

What about youtube? Mine raises up to 65C while CPU is at 13%.

10. MrCooperS macrumors member

11. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a program, or some type of test to make sure that these types of temps are normal? I'll appreciate it if you guys can post your own temps on tasks such as firefox, etc..

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The temps ARE normal. There's no test required. If you take the time to browse even a few of the threads I posted, you'd see many are running temps much higher than yours, with no problems. If your Mac gets too hot, it will simply shut down to avoid damage. Many have run temps over 100C with zero issues.

It's meaningless to have people post their temps, because you have no idea what workload they have currently running to produce those temps. Even two identical Mac models running only Firefox will have different tweaks, background processes, connected devices, network activity, widgets, etc, that contribute to workload. And the workload and temps can change from minute to minute.

13. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

14. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

My enclosure base readings are totally off. It shows almost as same as the ambient temp. When I measure with an Infrared thermometer, it is 20C or 30C more--always. :eek:

I don't talk about windows-7, without running any-nothing-nada software it get hotter and hotter! FANs work at 5000-6000rpm, but not enough to cool it down. I usually ending up shut it down.:confused:

15. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Mine runs at about 42 degrees C when browsing or idle. But as GGjstudios said, everyone is different as far as what is running while checking their temps. I've hit 100 degrees C while encoding video and surfing at the same time for example.

60 C seems fine to me.

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

Those are not normal temperature for a notebook. My previous PC laptop was 70 degrees under maximum load.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your previous PC laptop wasn't a Mac. The temps are quite normal for MacBook Pros.

18. puma1552 macrumors 601

It's fine, I'm at upper 59-60 with nothing but one safari browser open with a logic board put in last week, aka a human put the thermal paste on not slopped on by a machine.

FWIW the last two logic boards kept me around 50 while just browsing so yeah it kinda sucks to be 10 degrees warmer but whatever, shes workin just fine.

your temps are fine, not sure how much lower you are looking for the cpu to get.

19. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

This is normal. On the left side of the unibody case is the logicboard, housing CPU and the GPU, which produce heat. On the right side of the case you have your SuperDrive which doesn't produce any heat.... at least not when its not working.
    Also, aluminium is working as a heat conductor... basically it lets heat pass through better than plastic, keeping the CPU cooler. This is making your left palmrest warmer. Don't worry, its supposed to be that way... or as some people like to say it:

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :D

20. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I was just kind of curious since I just got this mbp. I never used to pay attention to the heat on the left side of the notebook. It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this..:D

21. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Any chance you haven't shut down your computer in a while?

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Wouldn't make any difference. A great number of Mac users leave their Macs on for weeks at a time. The temps aren't affected by uptime; only by workload, ventilation and room temperature.