New 15 inch rMBP dedicated graphics card for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pineapples23, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Pineapples23 macrumors member

Currently it is 750M now. How is that for gaming?

What is likely the new graphics card for the rMBP coming out later this year? Will it be a huge upgrade in terms of gaming?

2. leman macrumors 604

It was very decent two years ago but not exactly a top card nowadays. It will still play most modern games, but you'll have to reduce the resolution and the quality for it to perform adequately.

Thats where the opinions are divided. Some say Apple will drop the dedicated card entirely. Personally, I do not believe this, but who knows. At any rate, if they leave the dGPU as an option, you should expect around 2x improvement over the 750M, no matter whether they will go AMD or Nvidia route.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

At any rate the current 750M is bad for todays standard. Windows notebooks come with 850M all the way to 870M with similar thin notebooks. The 850M is twice as fast as the 750M and the 860M, 870M are much faster still.
    For gaming the current rMBP 15" is really bad value.

I think it is likely Apple wants to drop the dGPU and there will never be a 850M because they never bothered to upgrade and it has been over half a year since the release of the 850M. Plenty of time usually. The next Intel Iris Pro will be faster than the 750M and maybe Apple is satisfied with that level of performance.

Anyway if gaming is important and you want a notebook now and not in a year look elsewhere. Apple is horrible value for the money. In the past an older GPU was 30-50% slower but this time (750M to 850M) it is 100% difference. It is a big difference. Bigger than Intel GPU vs dGPU 750M. Those are about 0-30% apart depending on workload.
    Also Apples 750M is clocked slightly lower and has the Turbo mode disabled which automatically overclocks the 700M series by about 15% on average. It is just as slow as the old 650M and not a real 750M anyway. Windows notebooks offered faster 750Ms but now with 850M the difference is just huge.

4. Pineapples23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback.

My question now is, why doesn't apple seem to care about upgrading the graphics? You guys are right, last july, they still kept 750M. Would it have been so bad for them if they upgraded to 850M? I see notebooks from other brands, half the price, with better GPU.

5. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

I believe Apple will rid of dGPU for an even more compact and thinner design. dGPU just takes more space and causes more failure rates than the one with iGPU.

If you need gaming, you would be far better off with a 1080p Windows laptop with Nvidia GTX 970M for the same price as the base 13" rMBP. Stay with rMBP for school/office work and multimedia and just use your windows laptop solely for gaming. 970M will eat the performance of 750 M even in 3x SLI mode (if that's even possible in laptop LOL)

6. leman macrumors 604

My guess that there were some problems with securing a deal with Nvidia in mid-2014, when the rMBP was last updated. What kind of problems, we can only guess.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well next Iris Pro will be faster than the 750M but still nowhere near an 850M. If they sold 850M notebooks now, how can they explain removing the dGPU option and only offering slower options then last generation. If they leave the 750M in they can state on their homepage it is faster than the last gen and all those non tech people of whom there are many will be none the wiser and not complain. Apple already had the reputation of being bad for gaming, people will just think it is more of the same.
    The MBP used to stack up well against similarly slim mobile Windows notebooks in performance also but now they don't seem to care anymore. A 970M cbautis2 mentions is 4-5 times faster but that is a different class, still you can have it in fairly slim notebooks not even that expensive (MSI GS70 with 965M is great for gaming and price). Yet a 850M with similar TDP as the 750M is still twice as fast and not even that is in the cards with Apple. :(

8. Pineapples23 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I am beginning to see the lack of value considering these macbook pros cost quite a lot. It would be nice to have an apple laptop that is a powerhouse, or at least CURRENT, for gaming.

9. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

It's not exactly a lack of value - Apple just isn't trying to build a gaming machine. Most of the work (even rendering) is still being driven by the CPU. A dedicated GPU is a bonus, not a killer feature.

10. Pineapples23 thread starter macrumors member

I see. It's just that most other places have similar Ghz and core i7. Processors seem similar to me. granted, I don't know too much about this.

Do you guys know when the update to new macbook pro 2015 might be?

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Mid-2015 is likely, based on the next intel chip release for the rmbp

12. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

As far back as I can remember in Apple laptop products, the graphics cards are always a generation or two behind as far as gaming is concerned. My poor old indigo ibook was the same way. Apple's audience for laptops isn't gamers, it's users who want a stable platform with a long life cycle as a return on their investment. It isn't uncommon for apple laptops to go 5+ years

13. goMac macrumors 603

The Macbook Pro has not seen a logic board upgrade. That's why you haven't seen new dGPUs yet.

The 2014 Macbook Pro uses the exact same logic board as the 2013 because it uses the same processors.

When Apple upgrades the processors, they'll upgrade the logic board, and they'll upgrade the dGPU. Easy as that.

14. leman macrumors 604

This was true until few years ago. Starting around 2011, the GPUs selected Apple products received a massive boost. The 6750M and then the 650M were quite capable cards back then. Same with the high-end iMacs.

This is actually the most reasonable explanation so far. I suppose that Maxwell would require a different board layout, and Apple did not feel like doing that in 2014.

15. TRC-WA macrumors regular

This is pretty much it...

If I wanted a laptop for gaming I wouldn't have bought a Pro.

16. rekhyt macrumors 65816

They were expecting Broadwell to launch much sooner, but as you can see, nope. That was why there was no major GPU update.

Hopefully they're skipping Broadwell now and moving onwards to Skylake, possibly with a new design as well to accommodate a new beast graphics card.

To quote the Mac v PC ads: "C'mon, Daddy needs an upgrade."

And in regards to the haters who say Apple will go non-dGPU: that's total nonsense.

As displays in laptops are becoming better and more advanced, and as laptops are moving beyond 1080p towards the long road to 4K ('The New rMBP' having 4K), integrated just won't suffice.

Lack of dGPU is merely temporary. Integrated won't advance as fast as discrete.

17. vbedia macrumors regular

I am going to say basically what other people have stated before me, but well, here I go.

As a gaming machine the current rMBP 15' with dGPU has a poor value. I wouldn't buy a $2,500 for gaming primarily especially given its performance compared to current PC laptops.

Gaming on a top rMBP 15' is good as a side thing. There have to be other main reasons for taking the plunge. By all means it is not pocket change, well not for me.

Good news now. Whatever Apple decide to in the graphic department it will only mean good things for the customers.

A.- Apple get rig of the dGPU. Performance will basically stay the same or a bit more as the current top model when playing games and this may come with a cut in the price.

B.- Apple update the dGPU. This will boost performance much more than A, it will depend on what dGPU. Price will roughly stay the same as the current top model's.

Either case (A or B) I would personally need another reason (work, other hobbies,...) in addition to gaming to buy one these.

If gaming is your primary concern there are better choices out there, cheaper and with much better performance.

18. vbedia macrumors regular

Sorry for not coming into agreement with that, but there are not haters here as far as I have seen. I think it is safe to say that we all like Apple to some degree. Probably some people more than others.

There are people here with different opinions, which ones do not share the same conclusion after reading stuff and thank God for that. Otherwise this would be quite boring, frankly.

So no, there are not haters here.

19. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

TRC, totally agree. My Pro is a work laptop that I normally use for at least 3 years before I hand them down to other people. Every once in a while, I want a gaming rig and then I just build my own. Like every time a new version of Diablo or Half Life comes out ;)

20. koyoot Suspended

koyoot

I've said this in other thread, I will say the same thing in this.

Based on numbers from HD5300 and HD5500 we can assume, that Broadwell Iris Pro 6200 should be in performance on par with GTX670M which is pretty nice GPU even by todays standards. Increasing core amount by 20% and new architecture increased the performance by 60-80% depending on the job what the GPU has to do.

Skylake, which will end up in new MBPs this year will be AT LEAST 50% faster than Broadwell Iris Pro.

Yes, were talking about integrated GPU from Intel CPUs. And the performance of those Integrated GPUs will increase with every next generation.

Why would you need a dGPU if you have that kind of performance from Integrated?

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Because they're probably going iris pro only next gen. If they put in an 850M, it would be better than the next iris pro, and probably the iris pro after that too.

22. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

ITs not good for gaming, i would've been happy without the 750M, but its nice to have 2 graphics card

23. Pineapples23 thread starter macrumors member

Im a bit confused. Why is MBP not using broadwell? I have been hearing that s the new processor. So if it's not broadwell, MBP will be released later this year then?

24. koyoot Suspended

koyoot

Broadwell is a CPU that was successor to Haswell(current MBP CPUs).

Skylake is the successor to Broadwell.
    MBPs will likely get Skylake parts rather than Broadwell.

25. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I really think apple doesn't care about their products. People will just buy them, because if they cared they would add features that we ask such as touch screen, better graphics (willing to pay) and other things as well