Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro model features up to 22 hours of battery life – the longest battery life ever offered in a Mac.

16-macbook-pro-lifestyle.jpg

Both of the new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models offer one additional hour of battery life over their predecessors, rising from 17 to 18 hours on the 14-inch model and 21 to 22 hours on the 16-inch model. For comparison, both the M1 and M2 MacBook Air offer 18 hours of battery life, while the 13-inch MacBook Pro offers 20 hours of battery life.

While the new MacBook Pro models have the same battery capacities as their predecessors, Apple says that the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips deliver improved efficiency to prolong battery life and reduce the energy they consume over their lifetime compared to the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips from the previous generation.

Article Link: New 16-Inch MacBook Pro Offers Up to 22 Hours Battery Life – Longest Ever in a Mac

Last edited:

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
It is not yet clear if this has been enabled by an increase in battery capacity
14-inch MacBook Pro M2 Pro and M2 Max: 70-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

16-inch MacBook Pro M2 Pro and M2 Max: 100-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

Battery capacity is the same as the previous models.

They can’t increase the battery capacity of the 16-inch as lithium-ion batteries above 100Wh have FAA restrictions for flights.

Two Appleseeds

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2022
If the new 14” M2 Pro actually has similar battery life to the M2 Air, that’s a huge upgrade over the M1 Pro, old specs be what they may. Gonna need to see some reviews to know for sure. All in all, will be an awesome upgrade coming from a 2020 Intel MBA.

flotsum

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
That’s impressive. My 14” for sure doesn’t get anywhere near the promised battery life, my M1 MBA was way better.
Seriously! Like is there something wrong with my 14” M1, it has far worse battery life than my M1 air did, i almost use it exclusively in low power mode on battery :-(

Or is Apple just completely full of **** on this subject??? I get like old school 2 hrs of use at a cafe if I’m not on low power mode…

Reactions: compwiz1202

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
In EU, yours starting at 2999€... Best of luck, Apple, moving this one. Where I live M1 Pro 16" MBP starts at 2589 to 2790, depending on where you get it, the price hike is even more substantial versus M2 Macbook Air when you consider the starting price of MBP!
Also, it means not much of hope to have decent discounts on M1 Pro/Max spec'd Macbook Pro models, not at least from premium resellers with good reputation, not in my part of EU anyway 😳

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Seriously! Like is there something wrong with my 14” M1, it has far worse battery life than my M1 air did, i almost use it exclusively in low power mode on battery :-(

Or is Apple just completely full of **** on this subject??? I get like old school 2 hrs of use at a cafe if I’m not on low power mode…
I played with M1 Pro 14" base config for a week, battery life was around 10-14h, not pushing it but still actively installing updates, software and watching Netflix, regular power mode.

mdc921

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Is it possible the additional battery life is coming from the addition of two more efficiency cores vs M1 Pro/Max?

bnumerick

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
Not true. These machines have fans and good thermals. Nothing in the previous machines came close to throttling. You are confusing with the airs.
That's not entirely true. The 14" M1 Max can throttle in long heavy workloads from what I remember in some reviews.

flotsum

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
I played with M1 Pro 14" base config for a week, battery life was around 10-14h, not pushing it but still actively installing updates, software and watching Netflix, regular power mode.
Silly me for spending $700 more on upgrades to get a less functional laptop I guess. Kinda looking forward to downgrading to a 15” air if they materialize.

Two Appleseeds

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2022
M2 Air: 15 hours wireless web
14” M2 Pro: 12 hours wireless web
Good spot! Both say up to 18 hours in the main specs, but I guess that’s just for watching things on the Apple TV app? I’m calling advertisizing shenanigans. Oh well, we’ll see at some point soon real world usage. Would be nice if it’s still a step up from the M1 Pro.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
That’s impressive. My 14” for sure doesn’t get anywhere near the promised battery life, my M1 MBA was way better.

I had a similar experience but then I looked at just how many background apps and tasks I was running on the M1Pro... (clue - it was a lot).

Reactions: russell_314

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020

Have you checked the battery health?
Even with the most intensive task, two hours is still too little. I think you should ask Apple for assistance. The device/battery might be defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.