Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
OpenOffice loads on my 2.41 Ghz Athlon 64 Compaq in about 15 seconds, much faster than MS Word loads. Also, the files saved to HD by MS Word & Excel are so much larger than the exact same files created by OpenOffice (about 3 times larger).

NeoOffice is somewhat slower on my Mac, but what do you expect on a 400 Mhz G3 Mac Blue & White tower? I have used both NeoOffice and OpenOffice for over a year and can report extreme satisfaction using them.

I wish Apple would join with OpenOffice.Org to further develop the suite to overcome the threat hanging over the Apple corporate head from Microsoft threatening to stop developing MS Office for Mac.

If Apple announces a headless iMac on August 7, I will buy it as soon as Leopard is released. Then I can give better reports on NeoOffice on the Mac.

I think NeoOffice has a longer load time than OpenOffice, which is why we're seeing different results. As for breaking Microsoft's monopoly on Office, I agree something needs to be done. However, for students, there is no other choice:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.