New 2011 15" MBP Health Checklist

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pengapine, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Pengapine macrumors member

Hi,

My 15" MBP (higher end, HI Res AG, etc. ) that I ordered last week has since landed in Memphis and is coming to me shortly. As a first time adopter (being a windows person all my life), I have some concerns when reading all the threads about the issues that people are having with their new 2011 models. Obviously I understand from a statistical standpoint, this does not represent the bulk of satisfied apple customers, but just to be on the safe side, I thought it might be a good thing to compile a checklist of things to check when I first receive it. Outside of visual inspection for physical damage, are there some tests/programs that you would recommend that I DL and run to make sure my MBP is healthy. I just want to make sure that I go through a thorough inspection process within the 14 day return period.

I look forward to any suggestions that you may have. Thank you in advance!!!

2. iZero macrumors regular

Just use it how you'll normally use it, really. The trouble is with all this heat nonsense, what a lot of people are doing, is purposefully taxing the machines to an extreme degree, and then using that as a representation of a flaw because it gets hot and the fans come on when you "max it out". This is normal, if you work ANY machine, I don't care if it's a Dell, Apple, Gateway, eMachine, whatever, it's going to warm up. It's going to get flat out hot with some of the things people do.

If you game, run it through whatever game you'll play. If you'll run Windows in a dual boot, boot into Windows for a while. (though again, both those things can/will heat it up fast, as obviously it's not designed specifically for doing those things, and there are sometimes issues, apparently. (I don't use Windows so I can't speak to that)

In OS X, doing normal day to day things, even when I heavily tax my 17 inch top spec, it doesn't get hot. It gets mildly warm, the warmest I've had it get so far, was earlier (about an hour ago) I got it up to 71c working with some large RAW files.

Aside from heat, just... do what you do :) Watch a dvd if you'll do that, crank up some music, edit some photos, just use it :cool: It's senseless to try to beat it to death to "test" it, if you won't typically doing those things. (unless you're just curious of it's limits). You've got the warranty, and hopefully AppleCare :) If it has ANY issues in that time, you're covered :) That's the best way to test it. Just crank it up and have fun :)

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Seriously, I would not worry too much. You are seeing a minute fraction of the thousands of people who have purchased this machine and aren't having issues.

I would just fire that bad boy up when you get it, and if you notice any performance issues, search for the problem here. If you don't notice any, then don't worry about it!

4. Pengapine thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I do have Applecare. Usually don't spring for those warranties, but based on the apple customer service standpoint, sounds like the smart thing to do :)

Yeah, my main concern is the heat issue. I am going to be using it more as a desktop replacement (27" ACD is on the way as well). Going to be putting it on a Rain stand to help cool it.

Hahahha, been reading so many threads here lately that it has me OCD.....screen issues, heat issues, SW issues.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

My 2007 MBP was my desktop replacement, and the only thing I've ever had to do to it is replace the HD (because I ran out of space) and replace the battery. It has been a workhorse... and I expect this new one will be as well!

6. iZero macrumors regular

You'll hear different from different people. In fact, it probably won't be long before someone posts trying to scare you with the temp "issues" (we have a few resident trolls that seem to like to do that lately, when a new Mac customer is concerned and wants to learn, they enjoy it seems, exaggerating to scare the pants off of them...) But really, just use it :) If you happen to get one of (in actuality) VERY few that have a heat issue, Apple will take care of you :) One guy here even has replaced his when it didn't really have a problem he came to learn. Apple is very good about trying to make everything right.

That being said, sure you see posts about screen issues, heat issues, etc. I mean, even if there were 100 threads here about REAL problems people actually had, in the scheme of things, that's 100, vs how many thousands (hundreds of thousands or more? ) of these things does Apple sell? No matter how many threads you see, there are always mannnny times that, perfectly functioning machines :)

Just get it, turn it on, don't worry about bogus stress tests unless the "geek" inside wants to get numbers :p and just... use it as you'll use it :) The forums are here should any problems arise!

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

+1 Great advice.

8. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

just got the i7 13" MBP, and mine here is pretty much silent, doing some internet and pages work. My fans are at 2000rpm, and my CPU is at 34C. When playing games, like XPlane, the fans get very very loud and the CPU temp goes up to about 90C. When using CS5, it's a little warmer, but still quiet.