New 2011 MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt/Mini DP to HDMI TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by missr, Mar 1, 2011.

1. missr, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

missr macrumors newbie

I just got my 13" MBP!!! YAY!!!

Does anyone know of a product that works for sure to connect the new MBP to HDTV's HDMI port???

I had ordered Moshi Mini DP to HDMI adapter hoping it would work... but it doesn't seem to work at all. No video nor audio. Wondering if this has to do with the new combo port, or Moshi product is just not compatible? Or am I doing something wrong?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1824ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTgwOTAzMjI

2. jakku macrumors newbie

I was read about problems of adapters. Some people have problems from MINI DP to VGA :cool:

3. PUMMYUK macrumors member

UK stores have an iWires product that is a straight MDP to HDMI cable.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably just an issue with that adaptor. Apple sells one in their stores, but it's about $35. You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap from a variety of manufacturers, just make sure it specifically says it works for audio and video, or says it's DisplayPort 1.2a compatible. I know Griffin makes a good one, too.

jW

5. Broward macrumors newbie

I ordered a Kanex V2 from Amazon, but I haven't received my computer yet to test it. It was about $21, and supports video and audio over hdmi.

6. wibblenut macrumors newbie

I can confirm that this iWires adapter works (both video and audio) since I set it up for my sister on her new MBP 13" at the weekend.

7. missr thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi! Thank you for the confirmation... could you please paste the link to the product page...? I googled but it didn't come up... :/

8. wibblenut macrumors newbie

Here. We bought it in the Apple store.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I bought the cheapest Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter I could find on eBay and it works great, although this is on the 2010 13" MacBook Pro.

10. missr thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, called Tech Support this morning and they said Moshi adapter should be working. The other Griffin adapter they sell on Apple.com/store works as well. But it's not working for me.... could it be the cable? Anyone having the same issue????

ugh

11. missr thread starter macrumors newbie

with 2010 MBP it's a breeze. I'm wondering if it's the new Thunderbolt/Mini DP update...?!

12. missr thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm thank you... seems like this product is no longer available? Or perhaps not available in the U.S.???

13. missr thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me know if it works when you get it!!!!!

14. missr thread starter macrumors newbie

Totally possible that the one I got was diffective. Or the HDMI cable is.
    I should try Griffin...

15. missr thread starter macrumors newbie

16. dkmlam macrumors newbie

monoprice.com. Functionally identical to any other mini displayport to hdmi adapter.

17. hookedonhydro macrumors newbie

display port 1.1a

I got an adapter today that says it's 1.1a and it's not working with my i5 13" mbp (ADC 23 HD cinema display and basic ADC studio display) I got the other day. Is that why? I do have the power source for the ADC..

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

- The iWires product line has indeed been removed from the online Apple Store. I have no clue why... I have e-mailed Techlink about it.

19. hookedonhydro macrumors newbie

20. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I believe it needs to be compliant with that standard only if you intend on using the cable for audio...

21. zer0cool2011 macrumors newbie

Ce-link

I ordered one from amazon (Made by CE-Link) that was about $7.00, and it works great.

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope, that has nothing to do with your situation (since you're not trying to carry audio). It could be a bad adaptor somewhere in the line, or it could be that something else isn't carrying over properly. What are all the components in the chain between the computer and the display(s)?

jW

23. JTToft macrumors 68040

I just wanted to provide an update on the iWires product line, which, among other things, offers neatly designed mini Display Port to HDMI cables with gold-plated connectors:

Techlink has informed me that iWires should again be available for purchase on Apple's online store "in the next few days". :)

24. Quenepas macrumors newbie

Had same problem, no video on HDMI monitor. Bought a 1.3 Standard compliant cable; problem solved.

25. PUMMYUK, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

PUMMYUK macrumors member

The setting for audio over this cable is in the sound preferences, ONCE th hdmi cable is plugged in. Mine did not work out if the box and I was wondering why until I was told where the option was