Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Honda is set to release the first motorcycle that comes equipped with CarPlay, reports CNET. The new 2018 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle features a 7-inch LCD in the dashboard, which offers support for CarPlay, just like a standard in-car dashboard.

An iPhone can be connected to the bike via USB in the trunk or the storage cubby in the tank, and then accessed through the touch panel. To use CarPlay with the Gold Wing, a Bluetooth headset is required.

hondagoldwing2018carplaysupport-800x317.jpg

According to CNET, CarPlay in the Gold Wing works well, and can be controlled through the left grip or a rotary controller on the tank.
Yes, you do have to connect a Bluetooth headset, a requirement mandated by Apple, one that is a bit frustrating since most CarPlay interactions don't require voice. Still, once enabled it works well, controlled either via four-way controller on the left grip or a central, rotary controller down on the tank -- though frankly I can't recommend reaching down to that while on the go. Still, having intelligent navigation and access to your media on the bike is great.
Honda's new Gold Wing is 90lbs lighter than older models, and it features an 1,800cc engine with a double-wishbone front suspension. CNET says it's narrower and more attractive, but has much less cargo space than before. Additional information on specs can be found on Honda's website.

hondagoldwing2018-800x462.jpg

Pricing on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing starts at $23,500, and it will be available for purchase in February of 2018.

CarPlay is now available in more than 200 vehicles from a wide range of manufacturers, and there are also several aftermarket solutions available for cars that don't come with native CarPlay support. Along with motorcycles, CarPlay is also now available in some new semi trucks from Volvo.

Article Link: New 2018 Honda Gold Wing is the First Motorcycle Equipped With CarPlay

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I hope Harley follows suit. Harman Kardon isn't cutting it in the innovation department for Harley's instrument cluster.
[doublepost=1508904778][/doublepost]
Also offers air conditioning and keyless entry. No, really.
Not sure if A/C is real, but yes most bikes do have keyless entry now. My bike has a FOB that disables the alarm and enables the starter. I think the A/C and "heater" is a gimmick as it just redirects air towards the rider. Heater pulls heat from the motor and A/C I would assume redirects air from the front of the bike. I can confirm, redirected air from the front of the bike is only effective at temps below about 85-90 degree F. Anything above that and it just feels like a furnace blasting in your face.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
The Gold Wing has always been very car-like in its amenities.
I wouldn't call it an "amenity".

I've been mounting my smartphone on the handlebars for years – mostly for navigation. But you have to remove your gloves any time you need to interact (eg if it offers to re-navigate around some traffic).

The voice/hardware control features of CarPlay would be a huge improvement.

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't call it an "amenity".

I've been mounting my smartphone on the handlebars for years – mostly for navigation. But you have to remove your gloves any time you need to interact (eg if it offers to re-navigate around some traffic).

The voice/hardware control features of CarPlay would be a huge improvement.
I use Waze on my smartphone (with a handlebar mount) instead of the built-in navigation on my bike. I might actually use the built-in nav if it improved at all. CarPlay would be a welcome addition, for me.

Reactions: Sandstorm and deany

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Awesome bike, and unsurprising. Honda has always done a great job with keeping the Gold Wing a well-appointed machine. Always leading edge in electronics, comfort and safety.

I'll stick to my Triumphs and BMWs, though. :p

Reactions: deany

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Dude. If Apple can't even get their software right........ (that old map joke) Siri: "turn left...go through the lake."

Reactions: Gusjasso

travisjaymoore

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
This is ridiculous. Without wireless CarPlay this is a nonstarter. And REQUIRES a bluetooth headset?
Who wants to plug in their phone every time they putter around town? The extra step is a barrier. The manufacturer should be reducing barriers.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
[QUOTE="travisjWho wants to plug in their phone every time they putter around town?[/QUOTE]

The Gold Wing is not a bike for puttering around town. It's the bike for long hauls with your significant other on the rear. It's also a giant motorcycle with all creature comforts you can imagine. I'd rather have people plug in the phone to charge and put it into a compartment than having it in their pocket to vibrate constantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.