Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Unicode Consortium is working on the list of emojis that will be added to Unicode 12 in 2019, and today Emojipedia shared some details on new emoji candidates that have been suggested for inclusion.

New candidates for Unicode 12 include service dog, deaf people, and mixed race couples.

unicode12newemojiproposals-800x382.jpg

Because the list of emojis has not yet been finalized, these new emoji candidates won't be included for sure, but they could make their way onto various platforms that support emoji if the Unicode Consortium ultimately approves them.

These new emoji candidate suggestions join other emoji suggested for 2019, including diving mask, waffle, Hindu temple, white heart, ice cube, sloth, flamingo, skunk, ballet shoes, falafel, onion, garlic, otter, and more.

emoji-2019.jpg

A full list of Unicode 12 emoji candidates is available from Emojipedia.

Apple will likely add the Unicode 12 emoji to iOS, macOS, and Apple Watch devices sometime in the fall of 2019.

At the current time, we're waiting on the addition of Unicode 11 emojis, which Apple said it will add to iOS later this year.

unicode11emoji2-800x368.jpg

Apple previewed many of the new emoji that it plans to add, including red hair, gray hair, curly hair, cold face, party face, face with hearts, superheroes, kangaroo, peacock, parrot, lobster, mango, lettuce, cupcake, and more.

unicode11emoji3-800x361.jpg

A few proposals have been made for emojis coming in 2020 and were announced by the Unicode Consortium today, including ninja, military helmet, mammoth, feather, dodo, magic wand, carpentry saw, and screwdriver.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: New 2019 Emoji Candidates Include Service Dog, Deaf Person and More Couples

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Is this the annual thread where backwards right-wing conservatives that made the mistake of believing they're the only extant culture complain about losing their culture because a subculture is getting attention that they feel they shouldn't?
[doublepost=1533847119][/doublepost]
Please let this madness end.

Apparently yes, yes it is.

This site has a serious problem with these kinds of people.

I mean, don't you conservatives get tired of complaining every time new emojis are introduced?

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This is what I mean in my thread in the iOS 12 forum, entitled “Reminiscing”

Year after year now it’s “Yay, new emoji”. No wow factor anymore.

Reactions: c0ppo

Crappyguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2016
Is this the annual thread where backwards right-wing conservatives that made the mistake of believing they're the only extant culture complain about losing their culture because a subculture is getting attention that they feel they shouldn't?

I mean, don't you conservatives get tired of complaining every time new emojis are introduced?

How do you know he’s a conservative?

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Can I get them to do an emoji of me? Seems like we’re getting to the point that we will end up with individualized emojis in the standard.... (note, I’m referring to standards not memoji)
[doublepost=1533848823][/doublepost]
This can only end in pyramids and mummification. Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it.

/j
Those who fail to learn it correctly are just doomed.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009

As a conservative I'll say this:
For anybody complaining about Apple supposedly spending too much time on emojis there is a Unicode Consortium which decides which emojis will exist (or any other unicode character, I suppose.) Apple is a part of that group but is not the entirety of it. I think it's in Apple's interest create graphics for every unicode character. A nice graphic is a better user experience than a generic box with a question mark.

I wouldn't assume that everybody that complains about more emojis is a conservative. I don't think conservatives care that much about getting or not getting new emojis. I know I don't.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
The SJW CEO Tim Cook made a big mistake by bringing skin color into emojis. The original lemon-yellow emoji faces existed because no human has lemon-yellow skin, and thus all humans can be represented by lemon-yellow emojis in a neutral and non-racist way.

Including skin color in emojis just spreads this diseased practice of American race-consciousness all over the world.

Now, with these varied skin color emojis, people can use those emojis to make racist jokes and comments. Back when there were only lemon yellow-colored emoji faces, those lemon yellow-colored emoji faces couldn’t be used for racist jokes and comments.

It’s disappointing and inappropriate that Tim Cook is using Apple to try and further his SJW agenda. If he is trying to lessen racism by doing so, he has failed and only served to increase it with the inclusion of race-conscious emojis.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
As a conservative I'll say this:
For anybody complaining about Apple supposedly spending too much time on emojis there is a Unicode Consortium which decides which emojis will exist (or any other unicode character, I suppose.) Apple is a part of that group but is not the entirety of it. I think it's in Apple's interest create graphics for every unicode character. A nice graphic is a better user experience than a generic box with a question mark.

I wouldn't assume that everybody that complains about more emojis is a conservative. I don't think conservatives care that much about getting or not getting new emojis. I know I don't.
No one here can read, so it’s just easier to complain that “Apple” is adding more emoji’s.

purplehaze0

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Harrogate, England

I’m as liberal as they come and the whole childlike emoji nonsense gets right on my tits.
[doublepost=1533849715][/doublepost]
The SJW CEO Tim Cook made a big mistake by bringing skin color into emojis. The original lemon-yellow emoji faces existed because no human has lemon-yellow skin, and thus all humans can be represented by lemon-yellow emojis in a neutral and non-racist way.

Including skin color in emojis just spreads this diseased practice of American race-consciousness all over the world.

Now, with these varied skin color emojis, people can use those emojis to make racist jokes and comments. Back when there were only lemon yellow-colored emoji faces, those lemon yellow-colored emoji faces couldn’t be used for racist jokes and comments.

It’s disappointing and inappropriate that Tim Cook is using Apple to try and further his SJW agenda. If he is trying to lessen racism by doing so, he has failed and only served to increase it with the inclusion of race-conscious emojis.

Fair point

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018

It’s not a mistake, it’s by design. Divide and conquer has always been their game plan.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

I think most of us are frustrated with the amount of emojis, not the politics behind it.
It’s really getting out of hand in my opinion.
[doublepost=1533850332][/doublepost]
Instead of every permutation of race couples emoji - why not couple Memoji based on the actual couple!

Bam. I just created the must have feature for iOS 13.

Hopefully no one at Apple is reading this...!!!
[doublepost=1533850433][/doublepost]For the record, I hate peacocks. I hate them, despise them, wish they’d be the next Dodo. That emoji is the worst of them all, and I am not joking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.