Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oclv5200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Bought 16" MacBook Pro I9, 64gb ram, 2tb ssd, and 5500M 8gb for a little over $2000. Do folks think that was good deal being that the M1X 16 will be out by the end of the year? MacBook Pro was sealed and brand new, local BestBuy had lost in the warehouse and marked way down because it was no longer available on line. Been using a few days now and not seeing issues with heat or fans, if fans run they are virtually silent. I figured a similar M1X would be at least $4299 for a comparable unit. I've been using Windows laptops the last 3-4 years and just wanted to get back to Mac. This unit is a nicer build quality than anything I've used with Windows, Razer build was close. Let me know what you guys think.......be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuchal and drumcat

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Bought 16" MacBook Pro I9, 64gb ram, 2tb ssd, and 5500M 8gb for a little over $2000. Do folks think that was good deal being that the M1X 16 will be out by the end of the year? MacBook Pro was sealed and brand new, local BestBuy had lost in the warehouse and marked way down because it was no longer available on line. Been using a few days now and not seeing issues with heat or fans, if fans run they are virtually silent. I figured a similar M1X would be at least $4299 for a comparable unit. I've been using Windows laptops the last 3-4 years and just wanted to get back to Mac. This unit is a nicer build quality than anything I've used with Windows, Razer build was close. Let me know what you guys think.......be honest.
If you paid that for it, that's a fabulous deal.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'd expect the base model 16GB M1X to match if not outperform the i9. Just look at how well 7-core 8GB M1 performs. The M1X will likely have 50% more execution resources and at least double the GPU performance.

I suspect Best Buy is very happy to liquidate the unit instead of sitting and depreciating further.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I'd expect the base model 16GB M1X to match if not outperform the i9. Just look at how well 7-core 8GB M1 performs. The M1X will likely have 50% more execution resources and at least double the GPU performance.

I suspect Best Buy is very happy to liquidate the unit instead of sitting and depreciating further.
It won't have double the GPU performance of my 5600m MBP.

if it does it will be instant order for me, however the M1 isn't remotely close to it in my non scientific testing in real apps, so am unsure how they will double it.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Its definitely a buyer's market just now,if you need a 16" MBP... you can get some incredible used bargains out there. Some people have taken massive hits on these if they are trying to shift them at the moment.

macsorcery

Suspended
Aug 19, 2020
I've been using Windows laptops the last 3-4 years and just wanted to get back to Mac. This unit is a nicer build quality than anything I've used with Windows, Razer build was close. Let me know what you guys think.......be honest.

Now you have the only notebook that can do both. Install Windows 10 with Boot Camp and dual boot into either macOS or Windows 10. Do not listen to the FOMO people that think everyone needs to shift to M1x right now. Thats ridiculous. Yeah the M1 can run macOS apps a little better, but it is mostly a failure at Windows.

Enjoy your new computer until it no longer serves your purpose. The M1 computers will still be here in 3-5 years and will be a little better than they are this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: richinaus

oclv5200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Now you have the only notebook that can do both. Install Windows 10 with Boot Camp and dual boot into either macOS or Windows 10. Do not listen to the FOMO people that think everyone needs to shift to M1x right now. Thats ridiculous. Yeah the M1 can run macOS apps a little better, but it is mostly a failure at Windows.

Enjoy your new computer until it no longer serves your purpose. The M1 computers will still be here in 3-5 years and will be a little better than they are this year.
Thanks, I mainly do some photo and light video work and don't think I need the newest tech for this. I'm pretty happy with my choice and coming back to Apple. So far I'm very happy with the 16, have not seen any of the issues that folks have listed on this forum (crazy heat and loud fans). Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones and got a good, problem free sample.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
So far I'm very happy with the 16, have not seen any of the issues that folks have listed on this forum (crazy heat and loud fans). Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones and got a good, problem free sample.
Congrats on your new laptop - you got a fantastic deal.

The issue that I think is most striking about the non-5600m 16" MBP is when the machine is in clamshell mode connected to an external monitor the machine runs 'hot and noisy'.

There's a brutally long thread about that problem on the MBP forum.

Have you experienced that issue?

Reactions: bhodinut

oclv5200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I have a Ryzen desk top w/27inch I use when I'm in my home office. So currently no need to use this with an external monitor. I'm Elite Plus at BestBuy so I have 41 more days to return if I have issues. I'll try to hook an external to it just to see and update. Just really see me using this mainly as laptop for on the go work. I shoot a Fuji GFX100 and this Pro has no issues with the files......and they are huge. I do wish it had an SD card reader that the new M1X will have if rumors are correct. I just feel I don't need the latest and greatest, my use is hobby driven.

cloudphrenia

Cancelled
Nov 17, 2020
I wish you would have asked us before you bought it, so I could of told you to wait for the new mbp, and then went and bought that 2019...

that's a great deal buddy

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
you got a maxed out MBP 16 at Bestbuy? I thought those were only BTO from Apple? Check via coconut battery or istatmenu some of the vitals (battery charge count and such) just to make sure it is really brand new? If it checks out, great deal!

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Great Deal and smart purchase... and , even if you decide to buy the new one... you will be able to sell yours for more than you paid .... congrats !

oclv5200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
you got a maxed out MBP 16 at Bestbuy? I thought those were only BTO from Apple? Check via coconut battery or istatmenu some of the vitals (battery charge count and such) just to make sure it is really brand new? If it checks out, great deal!
It was actually sealed and was the 2tb ssd so not completely maxed. Could have been online return I don't know but it was never registered and battery count was one. Tech at BestBuy said it was found in Warehouse, they had it with the open box laptops. All seems well, thanks.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It was actually sealed and was the 2tb ssd so not completely maxed. Could have been online return I don't know but it was never registered and battery count was one. Tech at BestBuy said it was found in Warehouse, they had it with the open box laptops. All seems well, thanks.
good for you!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It won't have double the GPU performance of my 5600m MBP.

if it does it will be instant order for me, however the M1 isn't remotely close to it in my non scientific testing in real apps, so am unsure how they will double it.

As expected, M1 Pro GPU performance is 2.5X faster than 5600M. Or 4X faster on the M1 Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.