New 3G iPhone opinion. Hit or miss?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThunderSkunk, Jun 11, 2008.

?

3G iPhone: Hit or Miss?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2008.
  1. I'm buying one.

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. It's sorely lacking, but I'll buy one anyway.

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. I'll only consider one if Apple & AT&T sweeten the deal.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Dud. Apple screwed up. I'll wait to see if they get it right next year.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

There's an unusually high amount of disappointment in this release. Everything from a minimal hardware upgrade (internet gets faster, locateme gets more accurate as gps, battery upgraded), no significantly new added features over the old phone (front facing vidcam for video chat, disk access mode, copy & paste, etc...), to the phones cheapo plastic blob case, its low cost drastically devaluing existing phones, to anti-unlocking in-store activation and in-store ordering only, and roping customers into an even more limited and expensive plan from AT&T, regardless of whether or not you can even use the 3G portion of the device. The boards are full of turmoil. People are ticked. Apples stock appears to be bumbling about directionless when it was expected to skyrocket. The mud is flying through the air, brows are furrowing every which way, and now the mass media is calling it a fumble and worse.

So.

Is it really as bad as it looks right now, or is it just a very vocal minority?

What is the general consensus among the fans?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The above assumption that informs your entire post is simply rubbish. There ISN'T a high amount of disappointment in (sic) this release.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

When is anything not a vocal minority?

Don't get me wrong, I like to gripe about things too :eek: Generally though, no one can deny this is a good step forward, even if not perfect.

4. ThunderSkunk thread starter macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Oh! Great, well, thanks for straightening that out. I must have just imagined seeing the last two dozen threads of people arguing about all that.

5. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

So long as it's only a phone that works with one carrier, I'm out. Here in the UK, there are far better 3G networks than O2...would have to be able to us this phone on 3. Furthermore, I like to get a local SIM card when travelling around Europe, and with a locked phone that's out.

Don't Be Evil, Apple :(

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm getting one because on my plan in the UK it will only cost me £59.00 (including all taxes) to get a 16GB version :D

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Under how many nics did you vote for "Dud"? I'd guess 3.

8. ThunderSkunk thread starter macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

I'm not voting. I started the poll.

I've got one signin on here, kiddo.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think part of the problem here is that pimply-faced 13-year old gamers who can't afford an iPhone anyway are just a little bit unrealistic in their expectations. That would be the same crowd that insisted quite loudly that the MBA would be a flop. Oops.

Oh yes, no doubt about it. Apple locking their phones down and going with O2 is...um...evil. Yes, certainly.

Me wonders if you know what evil is?

10. Edgarbug macrumors newbie

Um, not sure if I can agree with you on that one.

There is. Compared to other 3g phones as a telephone the iPhone is, sadly, rubbish. Featurless and, frankly, illegal to use on UK roads (no voice activated dialling).

However, if we think of the iPhone as an excellent and truly beautiful internet connecter, with reasonable sized iPod and electronic diary with ancillary telephone capabilities, then it doesn't look so bad.

But that isn't the market that Apple is trying to dominate - its meant to be a damn 'phone!

Pick it up Steve.

11. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I love it, it's a really cool phone and way ahead of it's time. But I won't be getting one because Australian mobile phone providers charge you your first born to access the net via mobile and so the iPhone will end up costing a fortune.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Do you have an iPhone? I do, and there is nothing rubbish about its phone capabilities. Best phone I've ever had, and I have had quite a few.

13. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I want an iPhone for accessing email away from home without a laptop and without paying out a fortune on an ongoing contract. I'm over the moon about the Pay & Go option on O2, and if the phone is the right price then there will be nothing to stop me. All other features are a bonus, but I know that there will be people disappointed that more bells and whistles weren't included (5 MP camera, front facing video, etc.)

14. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hit:

3G, GPS and improved battery life opens up the platform to a huge amount of possibilities from third party apps which could solve a lot of peoples gripes.

Miss:

No improvement in camera. No video recording (could be implemented via software). No note syncing (could be implemented via software).

15. Edgarbug macrumors newbie

I take it that you either (a) don't use it while driving or (b) have another 'phone for you car?

Might I suggest my Nokia - all the 3g features you could ask for (which are lacking from the iPhone), free turn by turn GPS nav, voice activated dialling, video camera, flash, 3.5g, although I must admit that the internet access is far less capable than the iPhone.

I really don't understand why MacNuts can't accept that Steve got this one wrong - surely uncritical acceptance of everything Apple is actually a disservice to the cause? I am happy to scream from the rooftops about my various Apple products because they are so damn good. My allegiance to Apple is not, however, based on blind faith.

It is not enough that a product is made by Apple - it has to be made by Apple (with all that that implies) and be better than the opposition. If criticism urges Apple on to greater heights of success, then criticise away, I say.

The iPhone isn't good enough to dominate the 3g telephone market in my opnion.

Here endeth the rant.:)

16. stomer macrumors 6502a

I think it's pretty much a success. Lower price, plus 3G and GPS.

On top of that, they are going to be selling their phones in 70 countries. If success is judged by whether Apple meets its sales targets, then it'll clearly be a success. I can't imagine that they wont shift another 4 million of them.

There is still going to be a bunch of people who feel that the iPhone doesn't exactly match their needs, but those people are mostly irrelevant to the success of the iPhone.

Personally, I'm pissed that they are changing the way in which the phones are activated. This means that I can't buy a phone, and then unlock it without signing up for a contract. But as I said, I don't think people such as myself will make a difference to the success of the iPhone or otherwise.

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

So I take it that the answer is that no, you don't have an iPhone.

Yes, I use my iPhone in the car. The hands-free speaker is very good and it works well with a headset. So it is rubbish as a phone because it doesn't do voice-activated dialing like your Nokia? Oh, okay.

As for the GPS, I have every confidence that the new iPhone will be far better as a SatNav than your Nokia with the TomTom software installed.

You can be happier with your Nokia, but the new iPhone is going to blow every other smartphone out of the water. That's why even Nokia's stock went down, not that Nokia is at any risk of losing their market dominance in the near future. Compared to the iPhone, voice-dialing or not, Nokia's interface is crap and firmly rooted in the 20th century.

As for the question posed in the original poll, a whopping 20% don't like it and 71% are buying one. Sounds like a pretty popular product to me.

The iPhone is going to be ubiquitous. Though I hate the name, MobileMe is also a game changer. Even the boys at RIM should be a bit nervous at the moment.

18. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I've seen no mention of it changing in the UK, just US with AT&T.

I upgraded from a Nokia N95 back when iPhone was released for this very reason.

Software to come will make the iPhone all that it can be, until a new version is released with a few more of the wish list features. If they gave us everything now, why would we upgrade in the future?

19. Edgarbug macrumors newbie

Nope and sadly it looks like I won't be buying one this time around, although I really really want too!

Don't want to get side tracked into the illegality of dialing by hand while in a car (and of course the danger to you and other road users and pedestrians). In highlighting that I am merely pointing out its weakness as a telephone.

As to SatNav - you may be right. Enjoy paying for it.

Be a Jobs Comforter (pun intended). I just wanted the iPhone to be so clearly superior to other phones that a non MacNut would buy it in place of them. I hoped it would be so obviously superior that it would dominate the market like the iPod dominated the "mp3" market.

I hope you are right, but I doubt it.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The iPod thrived with a superior interface. Honestly, your 5mp camera aside, I can't for the live of me understand how you don't think that the iPhone is vastly superior to a ratty N95. Like the iPod, the iPhone has a vastly superior interface, is software driven (and hence can evolve into almost anything) and incredibly intuitive. Your Nokia is just an old menu-driven interface with loads of bells and whistles.

The Nokia may be better for you, but it can't do 1/10th of what an iPhone can do, especially with the App Store and MobileMe, and furthermore your assertion that the iPhone is crap as a phone is just groundless (short of the voice activated dialing that you are so excited about).

21. Edgarbug macrumors newbie

As for the question posed in the original poll, a whopping 20% don't like it and 71% are buying one. Sounds like a pretty popular product to me.

[/QUOTE]

A huge majority of those, like you and me, who are attracted to a website called MacRumors.

What does it say that 20% of those people think its a dud??

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

So are you saying that the iPhone isn't going to be a huge hit in the marketplace?

If so, I think you will look about as visionary as the kids who predicted that the MBA would flop because it lacked ports and a removable battery.

I'll say it now. The iPhone 2.0 is going to be HUGE in the marketplace. To address the original question, if I am right, that would make it a hit.

23. Edgarbug macrumors newbie

How do I know? If I could foretell the future, I would have known how weak the iPhone was and woudn't have been so disappointed.:)

I hope you are right. But 20% of those looking at this site think its a dud and, er, we are the core constituency.

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

And how many thought the MBA was a dud? How many thought the new iMac was a dud? This board has a disproportionate percentage of whiners in my opinion.

25. Edgarbug macrumors newbie

Well, you are obviously entitled to your opinion as are the whiners (or is that "winners"?).

Look - it looks great, it has some useful features, but Joe Public will see the bits that are missing and will grumble about having to pay for the extra bits. There is no obligation on people to buy Apple and I fear that they won't.