New 3Gs Blank baseband after redsnow jailbreak.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yobabysup, Jan 11, 2012.

1. yobabysup macrumors newbie

I hope this has not been covered but i've literally looked all over the past few days and i can't find my restore error.

I have a new bootrom 3Gs with 5.0.1 (9A405). The phone had a fresh install of 5.0.1 with nothing on it at all. I bought it used and I intended to jailbreak and unlock it for t mobile. I tried to jailbreak with redsnow (an older version not sure which one but i can find out) and encountered a problem. The phone hungup on the running pineapple screen and then went to the silver apple screen with a status bar under it but nothing happened. it took me a few days to get the phone to accept a charge because the battery somehow died while this was going on.

after it charged i tried to do a restore with the newest itunes and get a (-1) error when the phone is just about completely done restoring.

I then tried to jailbreak the phone again using redsnow 9.10b3. it worked but the phone has a blank baseband and its stuck in a reboot loop. the phone reboots and then goes to the slide to unlock screen. I then have about 2 minutes before the phone reboots itself and round and round i go.

I've tried to fix recovery in tinyumbrella, & redsnow, neither one stops the indefinite reboot loop. and now i'm stuck. not sure what to try.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put it into DFU mode, restore it back to stock 4.1 to see what happen.

3. yobabysup thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Tiny umbrella should fix this. Are you sure it is still stuck at recovery mode and not activation screen where it has emergency call bar below?

Try another computer and use tiny umbrella to exit recovery.

5. yobabysup thread starter macrumors newbie

tiny umbrella shows recovery devices 114119(on pc, mac lists the phone as 0). when i press exit recovery the log shows

sending exit recovery to device
    recovery device disconnected : null
    recovery device connected

this all happens in about 10 seconds. then the screen shows the itunes logo and usb cable. i dont see any emergency call bar.

does the same thing on both of my computers.

6. huang128 macrumors member

Did you install ipad bb on it too? if yes take it back to apple store for a replace, even the phone boot it will reboot again and again

7. yobabysup thread starter macrumors newbie

i think the video i watched on everything apple pro might have said to use the ipad baseband, i would have to check. i don't remember 100% and i cant check the phone because the baseband is totally blank now. could that be the whole problem? i bought it used cheap from a friend so i can't take it back to apple. if its toasted i guess i will have to sell it for parts.

8. yobabysup, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

yobabysup thread starter macrumors newbie

after the error installing 4.1 i tried to jailbreak it with 4.1. it worked but a similar issue. blank baseband and it will crash after about 4 minutes if you are using it.

if you let it go to sleep/ to the slide to lock screen it doesnt crash. its been working for about 15 minutes now, no reboot. eventually a small notice comes up that says

"restore needed i phone cannot make or receive calls. restore from itunes." if you slide to unlock and click dismiss the screen will go black and it will reboot. if you leave the phone locked the notice stays up but the phone doesn't reboot.

9. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Have you tried re-flashing the phone with the iPad baseband only without re-jailbreaking?

10. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Do you have Wifi & bluetooth or are they greyed out?

And can you post the first 5 digits of your serial number?

You might've bricked your phone, apple changed the baseband chips for later iphone 3GS, anything past Week 35 of 2011

11. yobabysup thread starter macrumors newbie

i have not tried to just reflash the baseband, not sure how to do that.

wifi n/a
    bluetooth is 00:00:00:00... but it doesnt appear greyed out
    serial number is 87146- new bootrom

12. huang128 macrumors member

yes i guess thats the newest chip ,it will not restore at all,i did thats ones,apples replaces it

----------

take it back to apples get a try,after week 35 mean 6-7 mount olds, they have 1 year warr

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Didn't Apple check the phone and see an IPad baseband? They might give you the replacement at the store but that phone tie to serial # and they can track you down later once it arrives at service center and they discover it has an iPad baseband on it. :rolleyes:

14. huang128 macrumors member

it will not show any baseband its totaly black

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

They will restore it at the store and see this ipad baseband. How are they going to replace an iphone to you if they know that you have been messing with it by puting an Ipad baseband on it where it not suppose to be there. :rolleyes:

16. huang128 macrumors member

i brick one with the ipod bb,i took to the store,tell them i updated the 5.01, and the phone not booting up,they try to restore it, i took about a hour, they came back and told me,they cant restore it,and replice a new one to me, and there not showing any modem firmware on the phone.

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Give a a tutorial on how to put an Ipod baseband on an Iphone? This is impossible to do.

I think I am done here with you. I don't think you read, research or experience it with your phone before you post.

Good luck!

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You are probably the most clueless person I have ever seen on this thread. This is my first post here in months and I'm truly disappointed that it's in reply to this.

There is no such thing as an iPod baseband. It simply does not exist. Futhermore, you can not unlock a phone simply by jailbreaking and installing Cydia which you have mentioned in several other threads, especially when the iPhone in question does not have an unlockable baseband.

We here appreciate the fact that you're here trying to contribute but in order to actually contribute, you need to have valid information.

19. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

I could be wrong but I believe this was just a typo and the guy meant to type iPad.

Anyway, as far as I know, if it's the new chip version, there is no way to resolve the problem. From what I've read, the chip is permanently damaged due to the iPad baseband and the phone is basically fried.

I've only had one new model 3Gs come in like that. The customer ended up taking it back to Apple but I have no idea if they replaced it for him or not.

20. yobabysup thread starter macrumors newbie

do they have some special restore program at the apple store? i've tried to restore in 4.1 and 5.0.1 and both dont work. when i jailbreak in either one the baseband is always blank. not since the fresh install of 5.0.1 when i got the phone used have i seen a baseband associated with the phone. can they just tell since it is blank that i tried to put the ipad bb on there?

21. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm not sure as I have never taken a iDevice in that I've damaged from JB. But of the phone boots up and the baseband is shown as blank, I'm guessing u won't have much luck.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

just play dumb. Say you were just restoring the phone and that happened. Blank basebands have occasionally happened without hacking due to the baseband update getting interrupted. you might get lucky

23. huang128 macrumors member

thats what i did , they replace it for me.

24. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Hi,

It's not a blank baseband. Error (-1) means the iPad baseband was flashed to that 3GS and it has in turned fried your baseband and the phone is bricked.

It must have been a newer 3GS. You can't reverse this damage and Apple will not replace it under warranty.

25. yobabysup thread starter macrumors newbie

ah where do you find info on that error? i looked everywhere and i cant find it. If i do a restore with 4.1 i get error 1013. if i do a restore with 5.0.1 i get the (-1) error but i havent tried since i got 4.1 to wake the phone up from the reboot loop.