New 4-Inch iPhone Again Predicted to Launch in 2016

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

IHS Technology research director Kevin Wang, who previously said a new 4-inch iPhone would launch by the end of 2015, has now changed his prediction to mid 2016 on Chinese microblogging service Sina Weibo (via GforGames), corroborating information shared by reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]

Wang did not provide any new details about Apple's oft-rumored 4-inch iPhone, beyond confirming the smaller screen size, but Kuo recently said the device will "resemble an upgraded iPhone 5s," including a metal design with an A9 processor, and launch in the first quarter of 2016.
    Kuo believes the so-called "iPhone 6c" will not feature 3D Touch to differentiate it from Apple's flagship iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. Foxconn is expected to be the primary manufacturer of the 4-inch smartphone, with 20-30 million shipments projected through the end of 2016.

Given his recent track record, Wang's new prediction should be treated with a proverbial grain of salt, but it does corroborate multiple rumors suggesting Apple will release a new 4-inch smartphone in 2016. The so-called "iPhone 6c" was originally rumored to launch in 2015, but those plans were reportedly scrapped.

Article Link: New 4-Inch iPhone Again Predicted to Launch in 2016

2. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

3. JCrz macrumors 6502

Also predicted: That this rumor will go away. And then come back...

4. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

5. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

The idea of not having the latest tech in a 4" model is annoying.
    For me it would mean that i might not upgrade with the same pattern as previous. Also having the latest tech combined with a decent battery life in a small vessel would be great showmanship of what you are able to do in engineering

6. jpgr15, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

I hear you.. this seems to be Apple's course though. iPad Mini has trailed the Air and now it looks like the Air may be setting up to trail the Pro. Even the 6S trails the 6S Plus to a minor extent.

7. animatedude macrumors 65816

8. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Or just that iPhone 7's form factor is smaller, with little to no bezels.
    ..oh wait that mean even smaller battery.. Abort! :D

9. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

One can only hope.

Not having an iPhone that is easy to use one-handed is bonkers.

We've had the 1" Apple Watch.
    We've had the 9.8" iPad (almost).
    We've had the 4" iPhone.

Let's see the return of 1"9.8"4" like it won't be 1984.

10. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Ugh really? Here is something more innovative they can do. Get rid of the top and bottom bezels so the 4.7 inch iphone is as small as the iPhone 5.

11. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

12. J. Jizzle macrumors regular

Why not just meet in the middle with a 5" screen with smaller top & bottom bezels? The 5.5" iPhone Plus is honestly too big. If it wasn't for the Optic Image Stabilization in the Plus models I'd have the 4.7".

13. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

No, Chicks have wings & clawed feet.
    However, many Women & some Men have small hands!
    Back to Biology class for you! ;)

14. flashy-cat macrumors regular

flashy-cat

FFS, give it a rest with the 4" rumours. Just upgraded from a 5s to a 6s and would never go back to the smaller screen.

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I always think a 4" phone would be perfect. I do not like the bigger screens. On the other hand as I am getting older I can not see as good anymore in close. So maybe I need a bigger phone from that perspective. I guess everything is larger on the larger phones?

16. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Yes; there is an option to use zoom mode, which slightly increases the size of text.

17. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

18. manu chao macrumors 603

• The iPad mini trailed the 'Air' in 2012 (retina vs no-retina, A6x vs A5, 1 GB vs 512 MB).
    • The iPad mini matched the Air in 2013 (both retina, both A7, both 1 GB)
    • The iPad mini trailed the Air in 2014 (A8x vs A7, 2 GB vs 1 GB)
    • The iPad mini (almost) matched the Air in 2015 (A8x vs A8, both 2 GB)
    That's a nice pattern.

Where the 6s trails the 6s Plus is in areas that related to the 'Plus' being larger, both in thickness as well as a screen size (thicker body allows for a thicker camera module with stabilisation and larger screen + thicker body allows for a larger battery).

19. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

I've got a better idea, iPhone 7 with 3D Touch surface and Touch ID, without the home button
    [​IMG]

20. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Initially this sounds great, for those of us who prefer a smaller sized phone.. but if it's not going to have the same features as the 6S/6S+, then it's a far less attractive upgrade from my 5S.

My 5S is plenty fast enough, and works perfectly well. So whilst a new 4" phone would prick my interest, it would have to have some feature improvements to make me want to upgrade, from the excellent 5S.

21. anek007 macrumors regular

But they like big... Phones.

22. Traverse, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015

Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I personally think 4.7" is the perfect smartphone size, with 5.5" being a good size for a phablet device, if the user wants it. However, I know many people personally that want a 4" device so I do hope Apple's pulls through here. They're close with the iPod Touch. Bulk it up with batter, slap in a radio and A9 chip and call it a day.

I think that would be pretty cool, minus the circle icons.

23. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

Still rocking the 5. Don't wanna make the jump. I hope this rumor is true!

24. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

If this comes true, I hope it won't be like the 5c and have intentionally crippled hardware. I loved the look and feel of the 5c, but it was saddled with old tech. I agree that there's a market for a smaller form factor, as long as the specs are the same as a larger phone. Apple shouldn't force people to use a device too big for their hands. If there are people who want a smaller device, then give them the power they need in a form factor that works for them.

25. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

I don't know. I got a 6s Plus (coming from a 5) and I will NEVER go back. I honestly won't go below the size of the 6s Plus again. It's a wonderful size for me. I can't imagine having to use that tiny keyboard again. lol