New 56mm 2.8 camera on 7+, post your pix...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macshroomer, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Macshroomer, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I got my 7+ 256 last night, arrived pretty late which did not leave me much time to check out the cameras.

However, today I had an editorial shoot and knew it would lend it self really well to some of the more peripheral type shots along side my other gear. I used both lenses equally but the new 56mm 2.8 was really brilliant to work with.

For many, smartphone cameras have long suffered from what I refer to as "Go Pro Disease" in that we have been stuck with fairly wide lenses and nothing else unless an accessory lens is used.

Enter the iphone 7+'s 56mm 2.8. Some have really poo-poo'd both the speed and lack of OIS on this new camera. That really baffles me since in decent light it most certainly does well enough. Shooting some shots in DNG via Camera Pro 8 went the extra mile on both lenses but the improvement was especially noticeable on the 56mm.

So I'll start with a few random shots from today:

56mm_2.8.01.jpg

56mm_2.8.02.jpg

56mm_2.8.03.jpg

2. jacob_w macrumors member

stunning photos! love the last one!

3. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Details from a jpeg and a raw..

JPEG 56mm:
    1_Detail.jpg

RAW 56mm:
    2_Detail.jpg

4. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

Great shots, So these photos you posted above were shot with the Telephoto lens of the iPhone 7 Plus?

5. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Yes, although I consider it to be a "normal" lens at 56mm.

6. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

I'm absolutely no photographer so maybe my idea of RAW might be completely wrong. I just tried taking some RAW photos with my iPhone 7 using the Obscura app and the RAW photo's look much worse than the JPEG counter parts. Wrong in the sense that their is absolutely no sharpness. Looks almost as if I took the photo on an old school flip phone. Am I wrong in thinking that the RAW should be sharper? It was indoors so is the lower light the reason for this?

7. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

RAW files will be softer than what the iPhone's JPEG engine will produce. But that comes at a price, like most non-DSLR JPEG engines, it gets a bit over sharpened via what the OS decides which is fine for web / social but not for print. I only needed to use a little over average in terms of sharpening settings with the 7+ compared to my other digital bodies, .5 pixel radius, detail slider at over 1/2 way, sharpness a bit under 1/2.

8. ABSjazz macrumors member

ABSjazz

RAW photos are unprocessed, so in their original forms they will likely look worse than what you have been used to. The RAW/unprocessed format contains MUCH more data to work with though, and allows for much more post-processing while remaining clean to create the exact look you want.

A good analogy would be comparing RAW photos to lossless audio.

9. DSTOFEL, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Nice pic's! A great camera in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.....a great combination!

10. doboy macrumors 68000

Too bad first picture was ruined by the neon hoodie. It would've been really nice. :(

11. vngannxx macrumors newbie

12. yngrshr macrumors regular

The following pictures are completely untouched (other than some minor cropping on one):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

LOL, it's supposed to be there, part of a series. Like this one:

Cloth.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    Nice stuff folks, just wanted to show this lens does not play second fiddle to the 28mm and these photos show that. It's got *great* personality!

14. midkay macrumors member

Can't wait to get my hands on this 2x lens. Been shooting so many more photos since the 6s+ came out. The camera got so legit at that point. This just takes it to another level.

15. salmankhan macrumors member

salmankhan

16. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

The advantage of having that neon hoodie in there is that it's a fantastic demonstration of the color range of the camera sensor.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    Do you mean ProCamera by cocologics?

https://www.procamera-app.com

17. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

That's the one, like it a lot so far.

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

"Stunning" was an understatement!

20. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

How does it compare to Camera+ ?

I've had Camera+ for a while, but honestly haven't used it much (I originally got it years ago when the iOS camera app didn't allow for a timer to take pics). I'm starting to explore more in-depth photography options now with my 7+. If ProCamera is superior, I'll pick it up. :)

21. jacob_w macrumors member

Taken at McGill University in Montréal.
    (Had to compress the photo a bit using Afterlight because of the size restrictions)

Attached Files:

22. peejay1977 macrumors newbie

peejay1977

Anyone having issues with pics shot in RAW being blurry? It's not just one app but all of them. The JPG version is clear but the RAW version isn't. I am running iOS 10.1 so that could be a factor...