new ACD 24" yellow tint issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Oct 17, 2008.

?

Is there a yelow tint issue in this new LED ACD?

1. yes

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. no

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. zoran macrumors 68020

does the new LED display have a yellow tint issue?

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

3. minik macrumors 65816

I wonder who voted yes.

It's not even shipped out yet.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

must be DELL or HP sales men! :D

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I'm curious, why even ask when no one has one yet? Have other Apple LED displays been known to have a yellow tint? Is there cause for concern? It's of course possible that just using an LED will make the natural color tone warmer compared to the previous models, though not as a defect.

6. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

just an example of negative voting from someone that wont like them....except they got caught this time :)

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

This poll makes no sense to me. :confused:

As others have said, it hasn't been seen yet, and it's a different panel than the 23" ACD. Premature ATM IMO. :rolleyes:

8. MacPM8 macrumors regular

I did check out the new ACD in the store, it looked pretty good!

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I'm more curious as to whether it's a H-IPS panel than anything else.

10. polar-blair macrumors regular

I remember talk about the new iphone £G's having a yellow tint on the screen, as the iphone has a glossy LED screen like the new display maybe that is where the idea came from. Surely though if there is a slightly warm glow to the new displays all you would need to do is calibrate them?

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I was under the impression that they were not in stores yet. I know they are not shipping until Nov. and it is not like Apple to have unreleased products sitting around. Honestly I don't know haven't felt like going into an Apple store in a while,

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

They were in my local store as well. Looked pretty darn awesome.

13. ddarko macrumors 6502

I saw it in an Apple Store today too. It looked good but so did the older, non-LED monitors. Just based on what I saw in the store, it wasn't night-or-day superior. Don't get me wrong, there's no reason not to get it over the older 23" monitor but it wasn't dramatically better.

14. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

I think there is definitely a reason not to get it, and thats the Glossy display!

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

well depends. A lot of consumers will get the new display (if they can get over the price) because 1. they like shiny things i.e. glossy/glassy and 2. it fits in well with their new macbook/macbook pro.

Very shrewd marketing, and strategy by Apple to target consumers instead of the pros with this new line.

As for professionals, I reckon many will opt for the older S-IPS models. I myself am thinking of getting another one if there is a nice christmas bonus here.

The only thing I feel the new LED ACD has over the older one, is its LED backlighting. We don't know what panel it uses yet, but i personally find it terribly excruciating to work with a glassy display and black bezel.

16. MacPM8 macrumors regular

I really like the matte finish 23" ACD over the new 24" Glossy, both look great but overall the older one just looks really good to me.

17. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Very curious what panel the new LED screen will be using. I had a 24" Al iMac since Aug of '07 so I'm used to the glossy screen and don't find it objectionable. The LED display did look pretty nice in the store and would look pretty nice next to my new Al MacBook 2.4. :D

18. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Hi Zoran,

I had the same attitude about glossy screens as you have, I loved the matte screens that I had, PB 17, iMac G4 20, iBooks, 20 " cinema display.

Then I had to buy a HP for a Microsoft specific development project at school, it had glossy but I didn't care as I only needed it for a few weeks.

The HP wasn't so bad once I got used to it. Then I tried a high def 17" glossy MBP in the store and it was way better than the HP.

Now I'm hooked, I have several glossies and I ain't goin back.

Perhaps Apple will force everyone into the change because they expect 99% of users to feel like me eventually.

Cheers.

19. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Τhanx for your interesting and mature point of view ;) I have nothing personal with glossy screens, to be honest i think they look great. MacOSX looks great in glossy screens, also watching movies is a great experience... BUT its the glare problem that really bugs me and the color management issue, how it reacts on such displays.
    I dont know, but it think Apple should have it as an option for those of us that do not want to go glossy, at least not yet! Apple should at least respect that! ;)

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is what I seem to notice, to the point of distraction.
    Not for the same model. It's just not cost effective. :rolleyes: ;)

Apple could easily do this on different product lines. :) Use glossy for consumer units, and matte on professional. :eek: No way to tell if they will though. :p

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is just asking for a bunch of jackasses who haven't even bought the display to vote "yes" based on claims they see around the net. Retarded if you ask me.

22. EdbBob macrumors member

I have a 24" iMac and a 23" ACD and compared the iMac looks more yellow, BUT:

White is not just white. It always has a tint called color temperature. A std european TV should have a color temp of 6500 Kelvin. So what you do is to heat something to 6500 K and compare the white glowing thing to white on your monitor... :rolleyes: Or you could calibrate it with a probe. For professional work you need to consider this! But for everyday use it really doesn't matter much. Furthermore your brain compensate for the colortemp after a while and then it looks white :)

Depending on what work you want to do, the 23" ACD could be way to "cold" (read: not yellow, but blue/magenta). I'm working with film and video, and for that a standard setup of my iMac is close to perfect. The ACD on the other hand need heavy tweaking in SysPref/color to work. So the point is: It might not be that the new ACD is yellow, but that the old one is blue...

Anyways you can always change the colortemp in SysPref so I wouldn't worry.

I'm just about to get a 30" ACD, but I'd much rather have a LED version of that. Anyone know if that's comming out soon?

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

It would likely be announced/released with the new Nehalem based Mac Pro, as they are both professional products. :) That's what they did with the notebook, so it would make sense, anyway. ;) :p

24. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

The problem wasn't an overall yellow tint, but a yellow band on the lower 3rd of the screen that couldn't be solved with any calibration way in colortemp in SysPref!

25. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

When are we thinking these will be available?

Nov 1 or later?