New ACD is Glass and Glossy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netdog, Oct 14, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If so, that's a drag. This movement toward all glass and gloss without a matte option is the only downer in a great set of upgrades to the portables, but I really hope that the ACD 24" is not glassy/glossy.

2. TimmyDee macrumors member

I'm willing to guess it's glossy glass. I was disappointed, too.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Glad I've got my old 30". She's perfect for my needs as I have a regular old iSight (that I never use) and my display is perfect for editing photos and just getting work done with the amount of desk space it provides.

My guess is that the new monitor will sell well to the general computing crowd, but that it will also boost sales of the old ACDs as people fear that they will be replaced by these glassy glossy body-less iMacs.

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Q: Concern about the glossy screens. Are you going to offer another option?
    A: Steve: We're going all glass -- we won't offer another version. Phil: You offset the reflection by the brightness, and consumers love it. One of the great things about a notebook is you can turn it however you want!

Well, I guess I'll be buying a 23" ACD this month to use with the Mac Pro I intend to buy in Jan/Feb. I do NOT want a glossy display! :mad:

5. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

The lack of anything other than DisplayPort connection is ridiculous. :mad:

6. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Glad I just picked up one of the previous gen ones, not a fan of the glass.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

They've got to be including a DVI adaptor, or at least selling one for $10-20 right??

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I'm glad i picked up the previous 30 inch ACD during the summer. ;) it's going to be one of those rare, discontinued awesome apple products now.

I mean i really like the LED backlit, because when you power it on it's instand brightness.

But the lack of a matte screen, and that black bezel is just very disappointing.

If you want an old ACD, better get them now before it's too late.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I didn't see one listed in the Apple Store. :(
    Perhaps there will be another line (pro grade) for the Mac Pro. :confused:

10. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I thought an 30 inch LED was just too crazy expensive... I'm not really expecting more at MacWorld at this point...

11. Esrb99 macrumors member

soon as this was over I went to our university tech store and ordered an old 30"

should get it soon.:D

12. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

That's semi irrelevant anyway.

Apple introduces a new LCD screen that is expensive as it is, coupled with the fact that it only works with new Macbooks & Macbook Pros... I don't get it.

& it's the only screen you can buy from Apple.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

They should drop soon though I should think. More manufacturers are releasing LED monitors.
    HP's latest 24" LED (LP2480xz) can be had for $2228.08USD. Reviews very well, and cheaper than an Eizo, anyway. ;)

14. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm that this new display will NOT work with a Mac Pro. Ridiculous if true.

15. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

EDIT: Looks as though this is the new industry standard.

Adapters should be available.

Much prefer the look of my current 20" ACD though.

16. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

It is really a shame but actually is more astounding than shameful: how on earth could a pro that bought a Mac Pro buy a glossy screen??? This and the fact that there is not clear that this new displays work with the Mac Pro make me think that there could still be a chance for us to get another screen, a matte one.
    Apple needs to offer a screen as a primary peripheral for its Mac Pro setups and not as an "accessory" for the Macbook. This can't be the only option for Apple's pro users.

17. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

I'm guessing when the new Mac Pros come out in january, there will be new ACDs that are compatible but whether or not they're glossy, that's the question. I hate glossy on my lcd.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Until someone (Apple or other) offers a DVI + audio to mini-DP adapter, the short answer is they are not compatible. And as far as I know, such an adapter would contain active circuitry; not just a pin/connector adapter cable.

19. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Not an answer a lot want to hear, but graphics cards should soon start supporting mini displayport.

Apart from the current compatibility issues I'm now liking the change.

Attached Files:

20. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea seems as if this display is intended just for notebooks

id expect new acd's to be released whenever mac pro gets done

21. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Admiring the aesthetics of my Mac Pro and ACD this morning, while I know that the new Mac Pros will be great, and hopefully the new larger ACDs will be matte, I am a left a little disappointed by the design direction that Apple is taking. My beast and its beautiful 30" head are so simple and elegant, something I just can't say about these black bezels and glass-covered glossy screens.

22. LeoFio macrumors regular

I almost didn't buy my 23" ACD in August in fear of it being updated within a couple months, glad I did. I hate the black bezel so much.

23. geefourfivesix macrumors newbie

Contradiction

The new black bezel on all the Pro Mac stuff now is a massive contradiction with their previous products. This is quoted from the current cinema display page:

"Your Apple display matches the sculpted aluminum enclosures of the new Mac Pro and the 17-inch MacBook Pro. And for good reason. Apple designers carefully chose this hue to minimize interference with onscreen color, so you have a neutral reference point for viewing your work."

So why are they black now, Apple?? Why????

(http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/design.html)

24. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can tell with the built-in Magsafe, the new displays are aimed directly at the notebooks.

Would be sad if Apple dropped the desktop displays later, but not too surprising either.

The iMacs and the Mac Pros are served as well with a Dell, Sony, etc. display -- and you get better support for Windows with the controls and extra ports also.

---

Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised to see only an updated 30" for the desktops.