Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Next generation AirPods that were allegedly supposed to be announced at Apple's rumored March event are ready to launch, according to Jon Prosser of the YouTube channel Front Page Tech. Prosser believes the new AirPods could launch sometime next month, although he is not firm on timing yet.

airpods-family.jpg

It is unclear at this time as to what new features Apple's next-generation AirPods will sport. One possibility is that the earphones will feature the same in-ear design as the AirPods Pro without Active Noise Cancellation.

In February, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes made a passing reference to upcoming "AirPod Pro Lite" earphones without offering any details on the product, leading to confusion about whether this would be a third-generation version of the regular AirPods or a new member of the AirPods Pro family.

Prosser believes the new AirPods could launch alongside the rumored 13-inch MacBook Pro refresh next month. He also recently claimed that Apple is targeting WWDC to launch new high-end over-ear headphones and September-October to launch BeatsX-like "AirPods X."

Article Link: New AirPods Allegedly Ready to Launch, Possibly Next Month

Spock

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
That would be nice, I may be in the market for some new ones. I have noticed that my first generation AirPods are starting to lose a lot of battery time. I use them pretty much all day, swapping left and right and the right doesn’t last as long as the left.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I wonder how much they will lower the price just for removing active noise canceling. Does this include removing transparency mode? In ear buds really benefit from the Transparency mode

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Maybe they put its firmware on the replacement AirPods by mistake the other week? 🤣

i used my „old“ regular AirPods for the first time in a long time last week and I was like DAMN the bass is actually so much better than on the Pro which I use almost daily

Also still waiting on the firmware update for my 270 Euro AirPod Pro BTW ... since uhm, the end of last year?!? It’s getting embarrassing.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I wouldn’t be happy about an in ear design. It would be better to give the customers a choice between form factors.
[automerge]1587324730[/automerge]
That would be nice, I may be in the market for some new ones. I have noticed that my first generation AirPods are starting to lose a lot of battery time. I use them pretty much all day, swapping left and right and the right doesn’t last as long as the left.
That’s inevitable and will happen with every true wireless earbuds.
The batteries are tiny and can’t last much more than 2/3 years.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Will be APP without ANC and a redesigned inner microphone and mesh cover. The new inner design will be incorporated into APP with ANC. No new firmware for current APP users.

Just speculation. ;)

Last edited:

phenste

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I wouldn’t be happy about an in ear design. It would be better to give the customers a choice between form factors.

Came here to say this, even though I‘m content with the in-ear design. I’d be surprised if they took away the choice. Probably just knock down the price of the ones with S1 and wireless charging, that’ll make them a FANTASTIC buy and give room for a “premium” (by Apple’s definition) in-ear design.

Also thinking about the fact that the in-ears have much shorter stems; they probably want to make that the standard across the line after the years of “Q tips in your ears” jokes.

Reactions: BulkSlash

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Glad to see my speculation that it would be like the AirPods Pro without ANC caught on ;).

Apparently Apple is preparing a lot of new headphones for release this year. I’m currently enjoying my Powerbeats Pro but I’ll take a close look at every release. I don’t care for ANC personally so these will be on my radar. I’ll probably wait for Apple’s over-ear headphones or the second-generation Powerbeats Pro.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think we are now in the new normal of Apple product launches. It’s likely if everything returns back to its original state, it will be only two in person events, iPhone launch and WWDC. If the digital version of WWDC is a success, say good bye to the in person event or a move to smaller regional events. Which I think should be required. Live in China, go to WWDC Asia or WWDC Europe, WWDC Africa. Even the iPhone events could be substituted for smaller, coordinated launches with YouTubers. That’s where most of us go anyway to see reviews. Apple already has a large enough unofficial marketing team through MKBHD, iJustine and Jonathan Morris, not to mention the 70 others who review Apple products on YouTube.

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
This lineup is getting more and more f҉r҉a҉g҉m҉e҉n҉t҉e҉d҉

It’s called diversity. By your logic, every Apple product would be Considered ‘fragmented’. There’s nothing fragmented about the AirPods, when they have an ‘entry-level‘ version and then a version that has ANC/water resistance, ect. The misconception with your post, is that if there’s multiple products being offered in a specific product segment, that doesn’t make it fragmented, it gives more options to the consumer for price point/features offered.

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just hope the buds are like the air pods 2 and not the pros. I feel like the air pods 2 are a better fit In the ear for being in your ears for a long period of time.

Reactions: BulkSlash

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wonder how much they will lower the price just for removing active noise canceling. Does this include removing transparency mode? In ear buds really benefit from the Transparency mode
Dont think a version without ANC will have transparency mode, if they do it is more or less only software which separates the two in ear versions from each other.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
I hope Apple uses the AirPod pro design, the current AirPod 2 universal fit design doesn’t actually stay in people’s ears during a workout

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
damn I bought a pair of AirPods a month ago

If the rumor proves accurate, then we would see these around WWDC, And that’s a strong ‘maybe’, given the pandemic. So it’s possible these might launch later in the fall.

The problem with ‘used’ AirPods now, is the resale market is going to strongly decline, because who wants to purchase a pair of used AirPods given hygiene factors? (That’s rhetorical by the way.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.