Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Next: New AirPods allegedly "delayed" according to a random guy on Twitter.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
why bother? the originals still work great. if I wanted in ears I'd get the pros🤷🏻‍♂️

exactly what I’m thinking : the Pro’s don’t have beam-forming microphones so it’s at a disadvantage for what the AirPod OG crowd specifically needs! Voice call quality (yours to the other party) in all the same conditions is significantly worse. Why why even bother worsening a great feature?

I don’t buy this being Pro Lites. The AirPod v3 is a better design with rubber tips. If that’s the case it will muddy the sales between the two considerably.

I hope it's early May and not the end of May, man I need a Macbook Pro

!! you and me both !!

13/14” is the perfect form factor for balance of power that it brings. I suspect this Tuesday or the 2nd Tuesday of May.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Few predictions:

1: They’re have the design of the AirPods Pro, but without the ANC and transparency mode. They’ll have the force touch controls though.

2: They won’t be “AirPods Pro Lite”. They’ll be the new base model, and the current ones will be discontinued.

3: They’ll be $199.

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I'm not sure I'd buy any more wireless earphones that cannot be used as wired ones anymore. The audio recording quality is absolute trash (which is no real fault of these earbuds, it’s more an issue with Bluetooth technology) and this means I cannot use them to record anything half decent. I still keep my wired earphones around for that (though it is annoying that I have to stop recording just to charge my phone, considering the phone drains a lot of battery when it’s recording or the mic is on. Then we have battery life. My first gen AirPods had about half their battery life after about a year of use, and now, I can get maybe 30 minutes at most of audio playback from my right one, and maybe 20 from the left. Should I have a phone call, they both lose battery within seconds (anywhere between 1-10 seconds). The case doesn’t charge fully either, and doesn’t always charge the buds fully either.

I love the convenience of Bluetooth earphones, and the AirPods are some of the most comfortable I’d ever used. But for the price, I’m not sure I’d buy any more. I assume this isn’t an issue with just AirPods, but considering they (and EarPods) are the only earphones I’ve ever used that I could use comfortably for more than a few minutes, I haven’t really used others for any extent of time to tell.

Also, I think having them in a charging case really ruins their battery life fast.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
More fragmentation in another Apple product line. Its getting stupid now. AirPods and AirPods Pro is fine as a product line up. Just focus on updating them and stop adding more variations.

They are scraping the barrel now to find more ways to scam their loyal consumer base and it all really started with the iPhone X pricing. The smartphone market is slowing and the iPhone is the biggest revenue earner. So the only way to offset less sales is to ramp up the price.

The XDR display is another example. It’s a standard LCD screen with some high contrast nowhere near worth the £5000 price tag. The stand for £1000 takes the biscuit.

What next? Apple will make a new Magic Keyboard for Mac, but it comes in two pieces the aluminium board is £600 but the keys come separate for £1000....
These AirPods Pro lite are Apples’ way of offering different features at different price points.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
If they do AirPods 3 with Pro noise cancelation and the silicone pieces... I’m in. I just bought AirPods 2 at Target and was going to take them back and save up for the Pros, (mostly for the easier cleaning and silicone inserts) that make the headphones less prone to getting plugged with my crazy ear wax.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i find that my airpod pros are a terrible fit. I prefer the regular airpods.

Same. The Pros were an amazing device, unfortunately they also were not an appropriate fit for me either. I found they were Applying a lot of ‘inner pressure’ in my ear, which I had to ultimately return them. The difference being, the regular AirPods rest in your ear, as the AirPod Pros obviously have to be more ‘in-ear’ to formulate the active noise canceling.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
There’s a lot of possibilities with this alleged product that might hypothetically be considered to potentially be released next month.

Beemers916

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
Just hope the buds are like the air pods 2 and not the pros. I feel like the air pods 2 are a better fit In the ear for being in your ears for a long period of time.

I agree. I tried to like my pros, I really did. Just couldn't keep them from falling out constantly, no matter what I did and had to return them. My AP2s fit perfectly. I can run, bike, do pretty much anything and they stay in. I could barely walk a block with the pros and they would start slipping.
[automerge]1587360627[/automerge]
I hope Apple uses the AirPod pro design, the current AirPod 2 universal fit design doesn’t actually stay in people’s ears during a workout

i have the exact opposite experience.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I wouldn’t be happy about an in ear design. It would be better to give the customers a choice between form factors.
[automerge]1587324730

Agreed. I used to use the BeatsX and (I apologise for the details here) found that over time there was more moisture building up in my inner ear. I've since moved to the AirPods and am much happier, I don't want those rubber bungs back in my ears.[/automerge][/QUOTE]

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
These AirPods Pro lite are Apples’ way of offering different features at different price points.

Airpods without noise cancellation are normal Airpods. No need to add the Lite branding and make it a third product just make them the new normal Airpods.

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
I would love to see more color options, white is just not my color and there is no way I will ever walk outside wearing a white headset in my ears.

For now btw I use the new Galaxy Buds+ for a few weeks (which fortunately also come in black) which are a nice true wireless successor to the BeatsX I used before when for example sitting on a train, I don't really need things like noice cancelling, but I prefer in-ear like before with the BeatsX. They work surprisingly well and what I didn't expect, I can even seamlessly switch between all my Apple devices, for example I can listen to a Podcast when going to the train station with my iPhone and I can switch the my iPad when sitting in the train to watch a movie. I just need to pair the Galaxy Buds+ once to all my devices and then I can select them from the list of devices by holding the Bluetooth icon in the control center (as seen on the screenshot below). This way I can switch now between devices without having to take them out of my ears or putting them in a pairing mode, which I thought would only work with headsets having a W1 or H1 chip.

Does anyone know, if this is part of the latest Bluetooth standards or is something synced here by Apple over iCloud since the W1 or H1 chip require being signed in with the same Apple ID and the Galaxy Buds+ in my case have the same benefits?

Anyway, I still might give In-Ear AirPods in black still a try, but if some other people are tired of waiting for black AirPods (or Apple should still not release some next month), I really can recommend the Galaxy Buds+.

View attachment 907433
Black AirPods will never happen.White buds are iconic for Apple.
[automerge]1587375143[/automerge]
Black option or I’ll pass...
Not gonna happen.

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
Have had nothing but problems with the pros Falling out. will Definitely go back to normal AirPods next time I buy. Or look somewhere else.

Reactions: BulkSlash

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
The news I'm hoping for is Apple restoring the AirPods Pro active noise cancelation on par with the original firmware release.

Last edited:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I hope they are not in ear.
one of the best things about Airpods is the comfort.
sometimes I literally forget they are in my ears,but in-ear design while can make bass more powerful,is never as comfortable.

Reactions: BulkSlash
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.