MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At least seven Apple suppliers have reportedly kicked off circuit board-related shipments for upcoming Apple products, and this notably includes third-generation AirPods, which are expected to be released later this year.

airpods-3-5.jpg

"Suppliers including Semco, LG Innotek, Kinsus, Unimicron, Nan Ya, Zhen Ding and AT&S have all kicked off their BT substrate shipments for Apple's next-generation products including the Apple Watch, AirPods and iPhone, which all adopt SiP modules," a paywalled DigiTimes report claimed today, citing industry sources.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu previously reported that the third-generation AirPods will be released later in 2021 with a similar design as the AirPods Pro, including shorter stems. This would mark the first update to the standard AirPods since March 2019, when the second-generation pair launched with the H1 chip for hands-free "Hey Siri" functionality and up to 50 percent more talk time than the original AirPods.

The second-generation AirPods are priced at $159 with a wired charging case and at $199 with a wireless charging case, and the third-generation AirPods would maintain a lower price than the AirPods Pro, which cost $249 regularly but are frequently on sale. It's likely that the third-generation AirPods will lack some higher-end features like active noise cancellation to maintain this lower price point.

As for the AirPods Pro, a second-generation pair with fitness tracking are rumored to launch next year, and they may have a more compact design similar to Apple's new Beats Studio Buds released earlier this month.

Article Link: New AirPods Expected Later This Year as Suppliers Begin Component Shipments

psxp

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I just got the airpods Pros yesterday . They are pretty nice I must say.

To put this in context, this is my first ever set of airpods. I have had the cheap SoundPeats ones before. The integration and ease of use is a big factor with Apple products and these are no exception. Movies on Disney+ sound great.

Last edited:

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
What, no bright colors for matching your iMac? No thinner, thinner, thinner? No new emojis and memojis? Just slightly "more compact" and increased functionality?

Sir Jony must be upset.
I mean, wasn't there an article that said Jony was involved in the M1 iMac design? Who knows with this.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'd like a new pair of regular AirPods. I love my first and second generation ones primarily because they aren't in ear like most other truly wireless buds. I'm hesitant to buy another pair, however, because on both sets, it is tough to get one of the AirPods to charge. It doesn't seat properly in the case. This may be because I do run in them, which means they do get sweaty sometimes.

Anyone have any recs on other truly wireless headphones to try?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
AirPods 3 needs these AirPods Pro features:
  • Battery Health.
  • Less prone to falling out of your ears.
  • Support for Find My Network, including Lost Mode and inside the case.
  • Spatial Audio, which is a big headline feature of iOS 15 (also iPad OS 15, tvOS 15, and macOS 12).
  • Tap the case to check the charging status.

Reactions: MrFootery

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
However, you wonder will Apple, due to a likely teardown analysis of the Sony WF-1000XM4, may do some revisions to the AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro 2 to make them more competitive, like tweaking the functionality of the rumored H2 chip on the phone?

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013
So the beats have ANC but no H1/W1 Chip and cost $149.99 and the new airpods will lack ANC but have the W1/H1 chip. Not sure how it will make sense for the airpods to be priced above the beats, but it is apple after all.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Just make them black and make them actually sound good. Please and thanks. I want my first pro’s but not what is out now

nitramluap

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2015
I love them, but the charging contacts (in the case) need a redesign. They too often lose connection, resulting in the AirPods not only failing to charge, but ‘connecting’ when you don’t want them to, thus further draining the battery!

The original AirPods were worse in this regard, but the AirPods Pro have the same issue. The internal contacts need to be larger so the surface area of contact is greater. It’s the ONLY thing I don’t like about them.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Hopefully just a reasonable name like “AirPods Pro 21”, running on iOS 21.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.