New Aluminum Macbook - Dust Under Glass

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pcguru83, Oct 21, 2008.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Anyone else get one with this issue? I spotted it as soon as the Macbook booted up for the first time--it's very obvious on grey or white images. At first I thought it was just something on the screen, but it's definitely a dust speck under the glass. Not a dead pixel either, as you can tell that it arcs at an angle between several pixels.

Just curious if I'm unique in my issue here. I've got an appt at the Genius Bar this evening, so we'll see how it goes. Other than this though, the Macbook is perfect.

2. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

So I must have the worst luck on the face of the planet. Apple swapped out my original Macbook with no questions asked. I booted it up in the store, and the screen looked perfect.

After using it for a couple hours now, I just noticed what appears to be a very minute scratch underneath the glass on the right half of the screen. I'm 99% sure it's not dead pixels--if it is, it's a very small grouping of them because it's definitely affecting at least 2-3 pixels.

What gives? Am I the only one having the physical display imperfections? Dead/stuck pixels are one thing, but this seems to be something entirely different.

Anyone?

3. danielforman macrumors regular

I think you will find it hard to get one without a bit of dust under the glass. I have just got a new MacBook and it has a bit under the glass. Some dust also managed to get under my iMac glass and every iPhone 3G I have had has had a bit of dust under the glass. Yes dust can be very annoying but it's just one of those things. It's hard to get something that is perfect and you will probably just have to live with it.

4. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Im 5/5 now with pixel problems. Join the club. Im sure some people dont care about 1 dead pixel, but I have a feeling based on my observations that there are more people with dead pixels then we hear on these boards.

5. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

The first macbook I bought last week had three specks of dust under the glass.
    I exchanged it for a new one. The replacement's screen was chipped at the top bezel so I returned that one too. This new one has one speck of dust under the glass right in the middle of the screen. I agree that it is going to be hard to find a perfect screen so I might as well keep this one.

6. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I decided to return mine until Apple gets it right. We shouldnt have to settle on a $1,599 computer. You think there would be more outrage over Apple quality control (or lack thereof).

It is so disappointing how these computers with obvious physical defects and dead pixels made it into consumers hands!

7. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I am pretty sure Apple will give me a replacement as along as I am in the 14 day period. I am afraid that the next one will have more dust than this one under the screen. A large number of these screens probably have dust trapped underneath. After the 14 day period, I doubt apple care will cover an led with one dust pixel.

These are my options as I see it.

1. Exchange it once again - hoping that it is perfect (not likely)
    2. Get a refund (pay the restocking fee) and buy a last generation macbook pro from amazon
    3. Keep it and deal with the imperfections.

I am not sure what I am going to do. I have until Thursday to decide.

8. impreza98 macrumors member

exchange it, i had dust under my screen.
    they took it back now i have a perfect macbook.

even the function keys are straighter.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ok, that is now an idea for people who like to experiment and can afford an expensive repair:

take an ultrasonic toothbrush and hold it against the screen where the dust spec is. it should shake it lose and it would fall down where it doesn't bother you (the dust speck, not the screen). i have no Glassbook or iMac so I can't try it but that's how digital cameras shake dust off the sensor.

is anybody willing to try it?

10. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Upon careful inspection, I found a second trapped dust particle. It seems that the first dust speck has found a little brother.

11. danielforman macrumors regular

Some of the dust that I thought was under my screen was in actual fact really stuck on to the outside. Took a bit of getting off but did come off in the end. Think it was just that some dust was inside the packaging and has been pressed against the glass while in shipment.

However, there is still one bit of dust that I can see but I have to look pretty hard for it so I'm not too worried about that. Not worth a return and dust gets everywhere no matter how hard you try get rid of it.

12. illu macrumors member

I think it's safe to say that the chances of getting a perfect MacBook are extremely thin. And if you manage to get your MacBook exchanged for a new one, keep in mind that it may be worse. So if you can't live with a few dead pixels and dust, especially on a $1500+ laptop, then I would not recommend the MacBook.

Personally, I can live with the imperfections I have (a lit pixel at the bottom right of the screen and a little dust under the glass) since they're not too visible. It sucks to have paid this much money but I guess nothing in life is perfect...

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

You guys who always want these things to be perfect will sadly be disappointed time and time again. There will always be room for error in everything. Store your treasures in heaven, it's the only place where perfection exists. Your chasing an illusion. That's my 2 cents. :cool:

14. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I agree that nothing is perfect but I never had these problems with the white MacBook, MacBook air, my cheap dells and hp computers.

15. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I think that are right. The chances of me getting a perfect macbook are slim.
    I decided to deal with the imperfections and be happy with the macbook that I got. Dust and all, it still is the best laptop that I have ever owned.

16. danielforman macrumors regular

Did any of these computers have glass fronted screens?

The dust is not a problem on normal screens but add the layer of glass and you end up with a space in which dust can get into. But you cant get in to clean, unless you remove the glass. But then you can end up getting more trapped inside once you have removed the glass, clean it and put it back on.

Although it can be annoying it is just something you have to live with. Generally I have only known dust to show up when screens are off and when the light is shining directly on them. But sometimes you may get the odd occasion when you can see the speck show up when the screen is on.

17. illu macrumors member

Exaclty, I'd take my new slightly dusty MacBook over a PC any day.

Oh and btw, Avatar ftw.

18. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

jeez now im scared to get a macbook! but if i have a pixel problem, im going to use the toothbrush thing the other guy was talking about...

19. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

yes avatar owns except for deus ex machina lion turtle

I had a small speck of dust under my screen, sent it back. Not acceptable in any way.

20. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Jeez, how much more anal could you guys be?

In before, "I paid over FIFTEENTH HUNDRED DOLLARS for this laptop."

If dust is getting in the screen that easily and so many times, just live with it, or get a different version.

There was a little scuff mark on the keyboard of my Santa Rosa when I got it. You had to shine light on the right way to actually see it though. The battery didn't seem to set right. I could have sworn there was a dead pixel. There was a tiny scratch on the top case when I pulled it out of the protective bag the first time. I kept finding more and more things wrong with it and trying to come up with more and more reasons why I should take it back or why it wasn't working.

In my opinion, just use the laptop. And stop freaking out over minute imperfections, that will inevitably happen. *Except for the dead pixels* That one is annoying.

21. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Mind explaining what the practical difference between unremovable dust covering pixels and dead pixels is? Why is one acceptable but the other not acceptable? Both interfere with the screen.

The dust gets into the screen as it is assembled. There is no way to separate the glass from the screen so it cannot be removed. It's just as bad as a dead pixel.

I tried to live with it, but it was just too irritating to see this random dot no matter what page I was on. So I sent it back. If you're happy with your expensive electronics having glaring flaws, more power to you, enjoy wasting your money.

22. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I wouldn't say "wasting" -- this isn't exactly a problem that prohibits usage.

23. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Well, plus it's like great you get one PERFECT out of the box. In two weeks it won't be perfect anymore who ***** cares dude. Get a life, I mean go outside and play with your friends or something jeez haha. I mean anyone here with sense get what I'm saying? At the end of the day it's just a computer man, it's not the end of the world. And if it is, then you have more serious ISSUES to worry about rather than a scratch on your computer.

Dead pixels? I had a couple on my TiBook that I bought used. It was a little annoying but I figured hey I bought it second or third hand and I paid 600 bucks, I used it for about a year, and sold it for 450. I just don't really think it mattered. If it was Brand New, yea I'd take it back until I got one with no dead pixels. That's really the only thing that would probably bother me though. To each his own I guess...

24. illu macrumors member

I think you're contradicting yourself a bit...

25. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

You are just making excuses for Apple. If you can't make a dust free glass screen with zero dead pixels then don't make the computer. I realize this is am Apple board but I still expect more out of Apple.