New Anti-Glare Screen Protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Macsterling, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Is anyone else tired of always whipeing smudges off their phones all day?? Well Power Support which sells at the Apple Store added the Anti-Glare line to their protectors. It has a smooth surface and it doesn't leave fingerprints. I haven't wiped my phone all day! It also takes away the glare from the glass. I was worried that the color would be affected but it hasn't. I did have to brighten the screen a mm over half and worked perfect.
    So if you're looking for protection without having to whipe ur screen again, I highly recomend it. U can get them at any apple store

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Do they come two to a pack? If so, I'll trade you my second regular PowerSupport protector for your extra non-glare one? Deal or no Deal? :D

3. malenfant macrumors member

I bought a pack of these myself, so that I could compare the two types of Power Support film. It's true: It's almost impossible to leave a fingerprint on this film. But it does grain up the picture quality a bit... the picture is clearly not quite as clear when using the anti-glare film. It's like comparing MacBook Pro screens: Anti-glare = stock matte LCD, crystal film = glossy LCD.

I am a frequent screen polisher, so the anti-glare film definitely appeals to me. I'll just have to see if I can get used to the difference in screen clarity.

4. Jim82 macrumors member

Hey,
    Do you have any before and after pics by chance? Or does anyone else for that matter?

5. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

Yes you do lose a little bit of the clarity but when I adjusted the brightness it helped some. Ive watched a few movies already and it doesn't bother me hardly at all. I can handle the grainy part since I primarliy make calls or email/text and use the internet. What really appealed to me was not having to wipe smudges off all day. I felt there were times I spent more time wipeing them off then actaully using the phone itself. I guess its just a personal preference though.

6. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

Deal!

7. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

Since we are on the subject on these protectors. Does anyone know how to clean them??? It says on the packaging that you can but it doesnt give any instructions on how to do it. Just curious.

8. malenfant macrumors member

I breathe on mine (fog it up) and then wipe it with a soft microfiber cloth. Occasionally I will spray just a bit of Windex or glass cleaner on the cloth and then wipe the screen with it. (Don't spray stuff directly on the phone!)

9. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

I'm not talking about the phone itself. I use iKlear for that which is awesome. I'm talking about the Power Support Crystal/anti Glare film set.

10. malenfant macrumors member

Yes, I know. That's what I am talking about.

11. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

pm sent

12. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

If you are talking about the sticky side, I've heard to use tape to get the dust off. The two I have are useless because of the dust that is stuck to them, and I haven't gotten around to trying tape.

13. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I always recommend Exim brand screen protectors. I have used them on my 5G iPod, mobile phone, PSP, and now the iPhone.

I guess you build up confidence in a brand, and these seem nice and thick, go on really smoothly, and when I change them they leave no sticky.

Normally I buy through ebay.

14. asc88 macrumors newbie

Power Support Crystal Film VS Power Support Anti-glare Film

So which one is better????????

15. malenfant macrumors member

It's a tough call.

The anti-glare film's #1 advantage is that it hides fingerprints, smears from your face (when you talk on the phone), etc. really well. And it makes your screen look more like a laptop LCD. But it does grain up and darken the screen image slightly.

The crystal film's #1 advantage is that it really lets your screen shine through with brilliant clarity. But it shows smudges and fingerprints really, really well, too, and it's virtually impossible to keep clean. (It's not impossible to clean; just impossible to keep it that way.)

I am using the anti-glare film right now, and I like how low maintenance it is... but I do kind of miss the screen clarity of the crystal film. Not sure which I will end up sticking with in the long run.

16. green86 macrumors 6502

I picked up these when I got my 2nd iPhone. It went on in the parking lot and hasn't been off since (over a month now). The smudges used to drive me insane... but no more. I don't think the picture quality is degraded that much however... it just looks like the surface is anti-glare. and it is...

17. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I still don't see why anyone would want to put a film between their finger and the incredible glass surface. I still have no scratches with no protection and I have had the iPhone in my pocket all day everyday since June 29th. I've put keys (accidentally) and coins in with it. I rarely have to wipe my screen as riding in my pocket seems to keep it nice and shiny. Naked!!

18. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

first of all this protector is not because I dont want to scratch my phone. Its almost impossible to do so anyways. I like this because it doesn't leave fingerprints and smudges on the phone and I dont have to wipe it all day. Now people like u that dont use the phone dont have to worry about it. Your comment makes no sense because if u touch any glass surface it leaves fingerprints. That's a fact. So like I said if u dont use ur phone then ur right it won't leave smudges. Everyone that owns this phone knows the glass leaves smudges but funny how urs does not. If I were u, I would have just bought a razr if u werent going to use this phone.

19. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Had a Razr, they're junk. I use my iPhone about 1,200 minutes a month, all around the world. I keep a sunglass cloth and I wipe the phone about as much as I would my glasses. I guess I just have less oily hands. Naked is the best, that's the way it was designed.

20. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

But a screen protector or film hardly makes any difference, other than protection.

21. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Not sure what protection a thin film of plastic offers to the scratch resistant glass. It will not protect it from shattering if you bump it or drop it. And the glass is virtually impossible to scratch.

22. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

again this is anti-glare. I did not get it to protect the glass because I know it doesn't scratch. I got it because I dont have to wipe smudges off it all day and its smooth which makes for easier scrolling etc

23. mackk macrumors member

I basically got this anti-glare film to keep it cleaner. I wear makeup, and despite cleaning it off several times a day, the stuff moves around and makes it into the creases of phones and gets gunky over time. The same amount gets on now, but the film isn't as slick and kind of 'catches' the smudges and keeps them from working into the few seams of the phone. I find I can scroll better too.

24. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Actually the glass can be scratched. I had my first iPhone bought on day 1 and found a nice 1/16 inch scratch on it after a few weeks of babying it. Not sure how it got there but when Apple replaced my phone (bad speaker) I put a protector on it. I also put a protector on my wife's phone as she always has it in her purse rolling around with random objects. My dad's iPhone also has a nice scratch on it that he got from dropping it on his kitchen floor.

I used to go naked but I love a mar-free screen too much to not keep it protected. Honestly I've had the protector on so long that touching a naked iPhone screen feels odd to me.

25. iVoid macrumors 65816

Prude! :)

I prefer the feel of glass on skin, so sensual, so alluring, so.... ;)