New App "Hottest Girls" Offline (Hacked?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by david803sc, Jun 25, 2009.

1. david803sc macrumors member

david803sc

The new adult app "Hottest Girls" highlighted on the macrumors news page has gone offline, those who have purchased the app are now receiving the following message instead of being able to view any pictures.

""Our servers are being hacked and overloaded. We will be back when the hackers stop or when our new server ships to us.""

I am guessing there is no way to get a refund for this app that no longer works?

David

2. sam011989 macrumors regular

They didn't really get hacked. They're just saying it for a giggle. Truth is (from reading around on MANY websites) they server crashed and can't be recovered due to the overload. so they had to get a new one. dont worry about a refund, should be up and running soon

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Imagine the large amount of users downloading the app and then using it to connect to the server.

The server got DDoS'd instantly.

4. david803sc thread starter macrumors member

david803sc

This morning there is a new message, that says "This version no longer will work, please delete from your iphone." I am sorry I do not see the humor in this, they want everyone to delete it, so they can put a new version up with the new server and charge everyone again for the same app?

I think Apple should look into this, that is fraud and not a joke.

This also leads to another thought, as apps become more server dependent, what happens when this small developers cannot afford to keep their server running, or like in this case the server is overloaded, independent developers do not have the means like Apple does to run a large data center, problems like this could render 100's or even 1000's of apps useless at anytime.

David

5. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the sad thing is, they probably made more money in the 24 hours it was up than many people make in a year!!