Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
They wanted to make a deal with someone who would let the Apple brand be prominent. At the time greendot/discover was probably the only one who would return their calls. I wonder if greendot is still the bank behind Apple Cash or if they're moving to someone else.
It looks like it's still Green Dot. Technically speaking, that's completely separate from the payment network, and in fact it's an Apple subsidiary, "Apple Payments, Inc." that handles all of the direct payment services. Green Dot is basically just where the money is kept.

So maybe originally Visa turned them down... but now they're going with them a couple years later?
Or Visa simply wanted too large of a cut. I can't see Visa turning Apple down flat, but they're a big enough player that they probably demanded much higher fees than Apple was willing to pay.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . .”If you currently have a Discover Apple Cash account, deactivating Apple Cash in Settings on your device and then reactivating it will generate a new Apple Cash Device Account Number on the Visa network.” . . .

I just did mine and it took about 30 seconds and now I am on the Visa network. No issues at all.

Mine did too. Deactivating it and reactivating it gave me a new one with the Visa logo.

I just deactivated and reactivated, and it switched over to VISA debit with no problems, and the approx $30 balance I had in Apple Cash was preserved and is on the new card. . .

Question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer for: if I deactivate and reactivate to go from Discover to Visa, do I keep the balance I have on the card right now? I would assume yes, but I'd rather not risk it.

Certainly no harm in waiting but I just did it and no problems. . .

I can confirm that this procedure also worked for me and my card is now switched to VISA. The balance on my card was preserved.

Disabling and Re-enabling for me was not successful. When attempting to "set up" Apple Cash again, I get a "Services Unavailable" message. So try at your own risk.

Seems to be the exception, given that most others are making the switch with no problem. If there is no underlying reason for you to switch to VISA immediately, then waiting a day and trying again will likely work.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
- if you are an expat and have set your phone to local region, wou will not see the Apple Cash toggle once you switch off.
In my experience, once you've jumped through the hoops to enable Apple Cash the first time, the switch actually stays there even after you switch it off. Since you also don't need to go through the whole verification process again, I guess it gets tied to your Apple ID — I've even had it show up on a brand new iPhone, logged in with my Apple ID but not restored from backup.

I'm in Canada, with my regional info set to Canada, and I managed to switch it off and back on again in a few seconds. I've done this several times before as well. I only had to set my region to the "United States" the first time I set it up.

- no visa logo on big card in virtual wallet but if you squint you can see it in card in the settings and set up.

No downsides to doing this but it’s probably not necessary as I expect Apple will push through a change eventually. (Appropriate to Just Works Philosophy, most of the world will be blissfully unaware of the transition.)
Yeah, from the images in Apple's support doc, I suspect the Visa Debit logo will eventually appear on the full-size card. It already appears in the card on my Apple Watch, and in the thumbnail versions (as you noted).

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
They wanted to make a deal with someone who would let the Apple brand be prominent. At the time greendot/discover was probably the only one who would return their calls. I wonder if greendot is still the bank behind Apple Cash or if they're moving to someone else.

Nonsense. Everybody returns Apple’s calls. Always.

All anyone ever achieves by trying to block apple is that apple partners with someone else.

European banks colluded to frustrate Apple Pay roll out. Apple found willing partners. As the banks bled customers they finally jumped on board (Swiss banks suck hardest as they generally block debit cards and try to use Apple Pay to force customers into annual fee credit cards.)

I look forward to there being a global apple bank that wipes out many of the crappy customer gouging and unfriendly banks.

Ps but first I’d like to be able to convert CHF denominated apple gift cards for use in my USD apple account.

Last edited:

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
What is Apple Cash?

I'm in the UK and even before the pandemic, contactless plastic debit cards were accepted very widely.

Post pandemic and there's barely anywhere that doesn't take it (maybe not 'old school' places).

I'll pay with my card and my iPhone/Apple Pay about 50% of the time each - whichever is closer to hand.

There's no real advantage in using Apple Pay though (maybe only to get through London Transport with the swift transit functionality).

So maybe that's why we haven't got Apple Cash? (Whatever it may be).

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
In my experience, once you've jumped through the hoops to enable Apple Cash the first time, the switch actually stays there even after you switch it off. Since you also don't need to go through the whole verification process again, I guess it gets tied to your Apple ID — I've even had it show up on a brand new iPhone, logged in with my Apple ID but not restored from backup.

I'm in Canada, with my regional info set to Canada, and I managed to switch it off and back on again in a few seconds. I've done this several times before as well. I only had to set my region to the "United States" the first time I set it up.

Yeah, from the images in Apple's support doc, I suspect the Visa Debit logo will eventually appear on the full-size card. It already appears in the card on my Apple Watch, and in the thumbnail versions (as you noted).

Well I just described the actual process I went thru here in Switzerland. Once I switched it off the toggle disappeared. Closing and reopening app did not restore toggle. Only changing region to USA for set up and then switching region back to CH worked. (It was not difficult or cumbersome but a bit unsettling until I did the region switch. I just wrote about this as prophylactic balm for those others who might be anxious or flummoxed or freak out if their toggle does a runner.)

Reactions: mhnd

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
What is Apple Cash?
Apple Cash is primarly a person-to-person money transfer service, like PayPal. The Apple Cash card merely provides a way to spend that money directly from your Apple Cash account, instead of transferring it to your bank.

I have Apple Cash set up by virtue of having some U.S.-based banking arrangements, but I've never used the payment card for anything beyond a couple of quick tests, as the Discover network charges a 3% fee on foreign currency transactions (and almost nobody in Canada accepts it anyway). My Visa Debit card with my U.S. bank has a 0% foreign transaction fee, so it would be nice if this switch improves that, but we'll have to wait and see until Apple (or Visa) officially announces something.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
Well I just described the actual process I went thru here in Switzerland. Once I switched it off the toggle disappeared. Closing and reopening app did not restore toggle. Only changing region to USA for set up and then switching region back to CH worked. (It was not difficult or cumbersome but a bit unsettling until I did the region switch. I just wrote about this as prophylactic balm for those others who might be anxious or flummoxed or freak out if their toggle does a runner.)
Interesting, thanks. I wonder if it's different because I'm in Canada or if it's something about my particular setup. On or off, the switch has never disappeared for me (and there are long periods of time I've left it switched off, as I don't actually use it that much).

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
What is Apple Cash?

I'm in the UK and even before the pandemic, contactless plastic debit cards were accepted very widely.

Post pandemic and there's barely anywhere that doesn't take it (maybe not 'old school' places).

I'll pay with my card and my iPhone/Apple Pay about 50% of the time each - whichever is closer to hand.

There's no real advantage in using Apple Pay though (maybe only to get through London Transport with the swift transit functionality).

So maybe that's why we haven't got Apple Cash? (Whatever it may be).

Years after advantages of the security benefits of Apple Pay being written about everywhere, there’s still comments to effect of “no advantage”?

Aside from the transaction technical security benefits, There’s the advantage of leaving your cards at home to never be lost.

Nothing (except Apple Watch) is quicker to hand than a phone in one’s pocket. Pulling a card from a wallet and returning it to pockets is a multi step two handed time consuming process.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Apple Cash is primarly a person-to-person money transfer service, like PayPal. The Apple Cash card merely provides a way to spend that money directly from your Apple Cash account, instead of transferring it to your bank.

I have Apple Cash set up by virtue of having some U.S.-based banking arrangements, but I've never used the payment card for anything beyond a couple of quick tests, as the Discover network charges a 3% fee on foreign currency transactions (and almost nobody in Canada accepts it anyway). My Visa Debit card with my U.S. bank has a 0% foreign transaction fee, so it would be nice if this switch improves that, but we'll have to wait and see until Apple (or Visa) officially announces something.

Similar experience. Only used for tests and a bit of USD birthday cash swapping with my sister and mom. I had forgotten about foreign currency fees. Will be interested to see if this has improved. (But will still use my AMEX because SkyMiles rewards and supplemental coverages.)

Reactions: jhollington

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
Nothing (except Apple Watch) is quicker to hand than a phone in one’s pocket. Pulling a card from a wallet and returning it to pockets is a multi step two handed time consuming process.
I couldn't agree more completely, but I've also heard the opposite argument from many folks who carry one or two cards in a wallet case with their iPhone.

When Apple Pay first arrived in Canada, one snarky friend of mine kept reminding everybody of how he's long had his debit card inside his case (between the case and the iPhone) just to make a point about how "stupid" Apple Pay was.

To be honest, it's a fair argument in terms of convenience, as many folks in Canada (myself included) were doing this sort of thing long before Apple Pay came along. We've had contactless payment cards since 2008, and they've been commonplace since 2011.

The security argument is much more compelling, but I've still had a hard time convincing the many folks who actually believe it's less secure "because Apple has all my payment info," or "if someone steals my iPhone they can hack into all my bank accounts." ?

• Haha
Reactions: mhnd

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Check your internet connection.

Try again.

I can confirm that this procedure also worked for me and my card is now switched to VISA. The balance on my card was preserved.

Seems to be the exception, given that most others are making the switch with no problem. If there is no underlying reason for you to switch to VISA immediately, then waiting a day and trying again will likely work.

Thanks! Did all the crazy troubleshooting, even reset/restore on my iPad but across all devices Apple Cash is failing to reactivate with that message. Probably an issue localized to my account. I gave Apple Support a call and it has been escalated to engineering.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
Similar experience. Only used for tests and a bit of USD birthday cash swapping with my sister and mom. I had forgotten about foreign currency fees. Will be interested to see if this has improved. (But will still use my AMEX because SkyMiles rewards and supplemental coverages.)
I might actually just go and buy something with it just to see what it works out to. Now that it's Visa Debit, it should follow the standard Visa Exchange Rate, so it won't be hard to figure out if there's a foreign transaction fee being added.

(The daily VISA exchange rate can be calculated here — I use this so much that I've created an iOS Shortcut to do the calculations more quickly ? — it's a daily rate, and it's always been bang-on whenever I make a CAD transaction or ATM withdrawal with my U.S. Visa Debit card).

rroach3753

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
I've had Apple Cash since launch. Mine is now showing it's on the VISA Network. and the VISA logo appears in the wallet app on the card image when looking at the Apple Cash details.

ckorhonen

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
NYC
My account seems to have been switched automatically - US-based account, I've been using it from day 1, just went into settings to enable/disable, and it's labelled as a Visa Debit.

I wonder if this was perhaps done as part of the iOS 15.5 beta release and will happen automatically for everyone else at some point.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
My account seems to have been switched automatically - US-based account, I've been using it from day 1, just went into settings to enable/disable, and it's labelled as a Visa Debit.

I wonder if this was perhaps done as part of the iOS 15.5 beta release and will happen automatically for everyone else at some point.

Enabling and disabling is what triggered the switch to Visa. Had you just left it alone it would have stayed on Discover.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
Apple Cash checking account coming soon? I believe there was a rumor Apple was interested in overhauling Apple Cash so you can direct deposit into your account and use it to withdraw money at ATMs a la Venmo Debit, PayPal Cash Card, etc.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
If you are in the US, with the new IRS regulation, from now on if you put $600 or more into your Apple Cash account in a year, do you think you will get a 1099-K form that you will have to reconcile for tax filing? (Such as taxable payments from other people, non-taxable payments from other people, like when you split a dinner bill, non-taxable gifts from other people, and non-taxable transfer that is your own money.) That'd be a pain. And you will get a 1099-K from every payment handler that has processed $600 income for you. I have stopped accepting payments on PayPal and all other apps because of this until I understand the situation more, or until forever. I assume Apple Cash would be among payment handlers for which the new rule applies.
This is not one of the fields that I am considered an expert, so this is just a random opinion. The money that goes into your Apple Cash account is not a payment. It is not an investment. It is most often a rebate for money you have already payed. It's like getting cash back when using a coupon at the grocery store. When you transfer money from your checking account to your Apple Cash, you are just moving money from one account to another. It's not an investment. You can't get more out of it than you put in. It's like transferring money from a checking account to a savings account or a CD. It's not like bitcoin that can be used to launder drug money or such.

I don't think this will be a big deal.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Yeah, we do a lot of things differently here in the US with regards to payments.

I believe we are the only country in the world that still requires signature for credit card transactions as if that is somehow supposed to authenticate the person using the card

It’s only debit cards that require the pin every time. Credit cards don’t have pins so therefore don’t require them unless the merchant wants a signature but gas stations and convenience stores oftentimes require a signature if paying with credit card

Very pointless for gas stations to require this for every transaction, even under $10 when using Apple Pay so it’s nice to be able to use the Apple Cash loophole to get around that until they eventually change their policy…

? Visa, MC, Discover and AmEx stopped requiring signatures in the US in 2012 for anything under $50. For a purchase of any amount, in 2018. If some places are still printing paper with the line on them, scribble away - they aren’t looked at when they go to collect their money.

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Years after advantages of the security benefits of Apple Pay being written about everywhere, there’s still comments to effect of “no advantage”?

Aside from the transaction technical security benefits, There’s the advantage of leaving your cards at home to never be lost.

True - someone could easily steal your card and use it up to the £100 transaction limit, I concede. That's harder to do with the iPhone (though you could steal it and use it on London Transport if Transit is enabled until you reach the daily cap).

And personally, I often go out with just my iPhone and not my card (for the simple reason that I am a lot less likely to forget my phone than my cards!

So I'm not saying that the iPhone is useless here in the UK. It's just not that essential.

I haven't been to the USA for a few years, but - respectfully - I think that our contactless systems are more advanced in the UK (and Europe) than you are there.

We are much more of a cashless society.

I think I last got some cash out in January, for example.

Reactions: jhollington

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
This is not one of the fields that I am considered an expert, so this is just a random opinion. The money that goes into your Apple Cash account is not a payment. It is not an investment. It is most often a rebate for money you have already payed. It's like getting cash back when using a coupon at the grocery store. When you transfer money from your checking account to your Apple Cash, you are just moving money from one account to another. It's not an investment. You can't get more out of it than you put in. It's like transferring money from a checking account to a savings account or a CD. It's not like bitcoin that can be used to launder drug money or such.
Transferring money shouldn't be a problem. Apple Cash (and PayPal) differentiate between this and receiving money from others.

It's the receiving of payments that needs to be reported, and it's not just about laundering money, but rather about unreported income. It's traditionally been too easy for freelancers and gig workers to "hide" money in other services like PayPal by receiving those payments and then never subsequently transferring them into a standard bank account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.