Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Words like “generated” and “summarized” aren’t what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a vastly improved Siri that can integrate with non-Apple apps and do it reliably. If someone takes the time to write an email to me I want to read what they wrote. If they’re sending me a generated email I don’t want to read it at all.
That is exactly the rumors about AI in Siri being able to control apps more flexibly and accurately. None of the rumor stories we are seeing here are comprehensive. Each one takes one look a the elephant and declares that it is a rope or a tree.

This should make more sense on Monday when we get a peek at what is planned. Even then, I expect this first round of features to be rolled out over several months. The Siri updates to control other apps are rumored to be coming out early in 2025. It is likely to take a couple of years of Apple developing these features and developing the AI models before it all starts to feel fully “done”. AI is so new that everyone is trying out different things to see what works and what people like. Expect a lot of experimentation in the industry for a couple of years as this stuff evolves.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
No it doesn’t. “Machine learning” is another hype term for better programming. Machines don’t “learn”, they’re programmed what to do. And that includes processing data without human intervention.
Machine learning and AI in general are not explicitly coded to act in specific ways. The basics are setup, goals are established, and then they are trained on data and situations. They scan the data and modify how they operate (the learning part) until they can get to the goal. It’s very different from coding a series of if-then statements.

garranhado

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
This will be a BIG disappointment…

Today I can use all third-party AI features with my iPhone XS and iPad Pro 2018. Apple like Apple will release a limited set of features, for 3 or 4 languages only and requiring lasted hardware.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Machine learning and AI in general are not explicitly coded to act in specific ways. The basics are setup, goals are established, and then they are trained on data and situations. They scan the data and modify how they operate (the learning part) until they can get to the goal. It’s very different from coding a series of if-then statements.

What you are saying is certainly true of machine learning, but I would caution against conflating machine learning with ai

Ai is a marketing term and/or folk vernacular that can run the gamut from things we can’t even comprehend yet all the way to glorified predictive text

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
What you are saying is certainly true of machine learning, but I would caution against conflating machine learning with ai

Ai is a marketing term and/or folk vernacular that can run the gamut from things we can’t even comprehend yet all the way to glorified predictive text
Machine learning is one type of AI. So are LLMs. Some people expect that the only kind of AI is one that can answer trivia questions or generate meme images. Others see it as a broad range of techniques which can be used to implement and enhance all kinds of features.

Reactions: SBlue1 and trusso

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Machine learning is one type of AI. So are LLMs. Some people expect that the only kind of AI is one that can answer trivia questions or generate meme images. Others see it as a broad range of techniques which can be used to implement and enhance all kinds of features.
your sort of making my point. the broader a definition you give to a term the more meaningless it becomes

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
your sort of making my point. the broader a definition you give to a term the more meaningless it becomes
I’m not sure that we are really disagreeing. I’m just saying that AI is a broad term that covers a lot of techniques. So far, all of the features called “AI” that have been suggested as being in iOS 18 appear to be well within the definition of AI.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Everyone here announcing what AI features they won’t be using as if that is a badge of honor.

virtue signaling at its finest

zkap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2019
This is one of those situations where we're going to get something that we didn't know we wanted and then we'll love it. I expect that most people will find certain aspects of this that they will use and it will become ubiquitous. So I am not in eager anticipation, but definitely interested and it will be fun to see what this stuff will be able to do and how much time will be needed until the features are fully fleshed out.

Great time to be alive and see this stuff unfold (AI in general, not just the iPhone implementation).

Reactions: Tagbert

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
As a programmer, I’m well aware of what’s going on. And I’m telling you, I can write a simple page of code that does exactly what you’re describing. It’s not learning, it’s not intelligence. It’s human-initiated behavior performing as instructed - no more, no less. Just because humans can’t predict the results doesn’t mean a machine is “intelligent” or actually “learning” because it doesn’t have a brain independent of human intervention that has evolved in the natural world on its own.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
My guesses:

1) Siri will now pass off some general queries to OpenAI, stuff that aren't about your phone or you specifically. (Just don't ask "controversial questions" like who won the election.)

2) They will have small on device models that can do things like live transcription (maybe older iPhones will use cloud compute or be left out).

3) They will demo (maybe only conceptual mockups) a new framework to allow Siri to control app operations. Every app that wants to be used via Siri will advertise its functions and how to perform them. Then when you say something like upscale this photo 2x with gigapixel and email it to Peter Johns with subject ___ and message ____. Use my Gmail account. It'll understand what you mean thanks to open AI and knows how to carry out the steps thanks to the framework

Eventually it may be smart enough to watch you do things and learn how apps work so it doesn't even need cooperation from the app.

Reactions: Tagbert

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
As a programmer, I’m well aware of what’s going on. And I’m telling you, I can write a simple page of code that does exactly what you’re describing. It’s not learning, it’s not intelligence. It’s human-initiated behavior performing as instructed - no more, no less. Just because humans can’t predict the results doesn’t mean a machine is “intelligent” or actually “learning” because it doesn’t have a brain independent of human intervention that has evolved in the natural world on its own.

I don’t disagree with your general sentiment: AI is simply computer code executing commands it is given, even if it does so in a manner that mimics learning. It is not a panacea and (fortunately!) is not sentient.

I do, however, think you are grossly oversimplifying what this software will be doing and I don’t think you or anyone else is going to replicate that with a page of code, simple or complex. Were that possible, it would have been done long ago. And I can tell you from having been around code since the BASIC and FORTRAN days, that the level of computing being done by these AI routines is an order of magnitude (or more) greater than those languages ever are or could be.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I don’t disagree with your general sentiment: AI is simply computer code executing commands it is given, even if it does so in a manner that mimics learning. It is not a panacea and (fortunately!) is not sentient.

I do, however, think you are grossly oversimplifying what this software will be doing and I don’t think you or anyone else is going to replicate that with a page of code, simple or complex. Were that possible, it would have been done long ago. And I can tell you from having been around code since the BASIC and FORTRAN days, that the level of computing being done by these AI routines is an order of magnitude (or more) greater than those languages ever are or could be.
You’re confusing complexity with magic.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I do, however, think you are grossly oversimplifying what this software will be doing and I don’t think you or anyone else is going to replicate that with a page of code, simple or complex.

It is code.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
Hmmm...I don't see any official announcements from Apple.

It may be that it disappoints many, but don't condemn an unannounced product until its actually announced.
I’m not condemning anything, I’m asking an honest question. I have not been keeping track of what Android and Windows can actually do with AI, and haven’t tried it. I’m trying to learn what to expect from the actual announcements. IF these were the announcements, would they be on par with competition? Do you know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.