New apple keyboard and mouse coming very soon? Another sign...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Masters512, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Masters512 macrumors member

Masters512

I just noticed that many stores like BestBuy and Fry's just put the apple wireless keyboard on sale for about 10 - 20 $ off depending on the store. Also, I've noticed that most stores haven't been restocking the keyboards. My local BestBuy has been out of stock of the wireless keyboard for about 3 weeks now. I'm starting to wonder if this is a sign that the new apple keyboard and mouse are coming out soon... hmm...

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I agree with you - I think we will be seeing something the first week of November.

Go black keys!

3. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

If only Apple decided to go with black keys.

I really don't get the ubiquitous white.

4. tuamtuem macrumors member

It will be great if new mighty mouse body is made from aluminium. :eek:

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Imagine a mouse just a little thicker and wider than the shape of the iPhone. You can use it as a multitouch trackpad cause its flat enough, but comfertable enough to use a conventional mouse.

I only came up with this because my iPhone in the case, if I put it screen down on the desk and rest my hand it is quite comfortable actually..

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Another sign is that both wireless and wired (without numpad) shows shipping time of 3-6 days (link, link) in US store (24 hours in Finland's store)

7. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Our store has been out of keyboards and mice for well over a month, probably closer to 2...
    I think this problem has to do with Best Buy's supply...
    This happens from time to time with certain items, and for no apparent reason....
    I am still hoping for a new keyboard and mouse though:rolleyes:

8. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

This is the first time I've heard of a possible keyboard update but then again I haven't been keeping up on rumors. I did hear about a possible mouse update though and that will definitely be a welcomed item if it's any better than the current Mighty Mouse.

9. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

There was also a FCC approval that surfaced a week or so ago. Unfortunately it only showed the back of the keyboard.

10. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I'm curious to see what Apple thinks needs improving on the current keyboards?

11. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Y'all can thank me... I just laid down $85 for a wireless keyboard after throwing a fit with all wires cluttering my desk. Now, a new one is coming... Love it.

12. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

13. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

I'm thinking backlit keyboard. (can't believe I'd over looked it before hand but now I have I want back lit keyboard). D'oh.

Black keys. Although I actually like the white keys.

Softer key landing. As much as I love and will continue to use the wired extended keyboard, the depress distance can be too short and uncomfortable after hours of tapping.

Maybe an integrated led display which might be customisable. Say replicate and iphone screen so the phone could be left in the bag.

14. Buzz Bumble Guest

• Re-including the number pad as standard
    • Back to normal size / layout as standard, because the tiny keyboard is ugly and awful to try and use the cursor keys
    • Blacks keys, because the white gets digustingly dirty too quickly
    • Backlit, because so many people are too lazy to turn the lights on in the room ;)

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I absolutely, 110%, positively, disagree.

Love the small form factor and super minimalistic approach. For those that do not rely a numerical pad for their work, theres nothing really to argue about.

16. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I don't really have many issues as you do apparently but you do realize that Apple does still sell a full size keyboard. I definitely don't miss a full size keyboard with number pad.

The only thing I really miss are the cup inward shape of most keyboards. Apple's current keys are flat which causes me to sometimes hit the key on the edge instead of in the center of the keys. When there is cup indention it's easier to hit the center of the keys based on feel. It's not a major issue because I'm typing fine without it but I didn't notice this issue the first time I typed on these keyboards.

IMO the best keyboard is still my PowerBook G4. It's the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used and I can type really fast with it. I've used many keyboards in the past so I'm not just saying that lightly. Of course, everyone's opinions will vary but that's my favorite keyboard. It does have black keys so that's one plus for you. ;)

17. Buzz Bumble Guest

I know they still sell a proper keyboard (although who knows about the rumoured updated version), but they should be including the proper one in the box rather than the little one ... or at least allowing reselleers to swap them over at customer request as can be done on Apple's website. The tiny one simply looks silly sitting in front of a 24" iMac or 30" Mac Pro screen, and it feels cramped and has the cursor keys in a horrible position. :( As someone else said, when using a desktop computer there's little reason to have a silly little laptop keyboard. My guess is that the wireless version was designed for use with the Mac Mini when sitting in a lounge armchair.

18. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't dislike the chicklet-style keys on the new uMBP's, but I loved typing on my Powerbook G4. I'm sure I'll get used to my MBP eventually, but it just doesn't feel quite as nice.

19. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Totally agree. I hate this flat-no depress new keyboards.

20. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Okay I understand what you are talking about. Apple does have a fetish for small and light products so I can see why they didn't give people an option. ;)

For my desktop I actually went from a full size keyboard to the new mini wired keyboard so not everyone has the same needs. The reason I like it smaller is so that I can bring my mouse closer to the left which feels more comfortable to me. With the full size keyboard I had to always move the keyboard to the left when I used the mouse for long periods of time.

Also I didn't really use the number pad that much and I don't have a problem with the arrow keys because I got used to that placement with my PowerBook laptop so this keyboard wasn't really that different. Another benefit I like is that when I go back and forth between my desktop and laptop I don't have to readjust my brain for the different layouts because now they are pretty much the same. I really didn't get it for the space saving size. Everyone has their own preference so I understand your desire for a full sized keyboard.

21. Buzz Bumble Guest

Yep, they do. The best option is to allow the buyer to choose which they want rather than stick them with one or the other.

I use the numberpad quite a bit - it's much easier when using the Calculator application than the top number keys or clicking on the screen keys (and I detest the cluttered keys that some laptops have trying to show the alternate number pad in the middle of the letter keys).

22. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

hi

For the keyboard, I would like to c white lit up keys just like the macbook pro has. I really like the minimal size of my wireless apple keyboard because it gives me more desk space. For example - I can have my keyboard, Wacom tablet, plate of food and coffee on my desk and still have plenty of room for my mouse. With my old keyboard this setup would be impossible. As for mice, I think they should just give up and partner with logitech.

That's all I have to say about that :p

23. Buzz Bumble Guest

You shouldn't really have food and drink near your computer ... it's just asking for a ruined keyboard, or worse with a laptop.

24. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm really curious what they're going to do with the new keyboard. I read on some site that it is supposed to be SMALLER than the current keyboard. I'm sure they won't cramp the keys so it will be interesting to see how they make it smaller. I'm predicting black keys to unify the look across the line. I'm a sucker so I'm sure I'll ebay my old wireless keyboard for the new one :D

25. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

They better not cram the keys. I've typed on small cramped keyboards before and they are painful to type on. I can't imagine how they can make the current keyboards any smaller without cramming keys or making them smaller. I guess we will see what they do once the new ones come out.

Sometimes Apple changes things just for the sake of change. I really hate it when they change something that works with something that's worst. If they give me the same keyboard as my PowerBook G4 then I will be a happy man. ;)