New Apple Keyboard (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iNeko, Aug 10, 2007.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

The photo on the Apple site is a bit different to how it actually is - I have a very quick photo of it (mine just arrived) so you can see the layout. So far, amazing to type on and it's very, very light and very small - very impressed! It's sitting in front of an Acer 19" - so you get the idea of the size. It's a touch longer than the old Apple Keyboard.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Is it the return/enter button change the only difference.... I quite like our UK style enter buttons, its looks odd but its looks like its easier to use then the US spec enter button. Im going to go to bluewater to buy my imac next week... Congratulations on your purchase.

My only concern is that i hit the keys of the keyboard very very hard... Does the key mechanism feel sturdy?

3. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

I think it can take some abuse -I type quite hard also and it's holding up fine. It certainly feels like a quality keyboard.

I think the differences are the enter key, on the picture it doesn't show the capslock button as having a light - plus instead of having "command" or "control" we have "cmd" and "ctrl" little things - but I thought people might want to see a UK version :)

So far I love this keyboard - goes nice with the Mac Mini and gives me a lot more desk space

4. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Just incase you want an ego boost, this is one of the best post on here in a long time. Often the UK gets pushed aside!

I am getting one from AT Computers Cardiff as soon as they get them in. It will go with my Macbook Pro becuase i am fed up of not having a number pad and resting my hands on the computer.

I will then want an iCurve and an external monitor.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah it is good to see the UK part come out these last couple of days.

6. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

I should've taken a better photograph of it - haha. I know when I was looking at the old Apple keyboard I wanted to see a photo of the UK one, but found it difficult to come across - so I though the UKers might want to see what our version looks like :)

I absolutely adore the media controls - I've been wanting those for a while, and the moved eject key is nicer (but I'm used to my Macbook Pro, so it would be nicer for me)

Here's a more artistic photo of it, because that snapshot is horrible!

Attached Files:

7. donnie3000 macrumors member

F3 and F4 not working!

well...i picked up the new keyboard at the manchester apple store today and got it home, installed the update, but my F3 and F4 keys (expose and dashboard) won't work.

all the other function keys do what they are supposed to. i've had a play about in system preferences, but no luck - has anyone else had a problem like this?

funny thing....the keyboard software update 1.1 is now 'page not found' on apple.com

broken software?

the keyboard is actually very nice to use - very quiet and quite relaxing compared to the good old pro!

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I was just about to ask the same question. The booklet with the keyboard says toupdate from Apple's site… but I also get the "Page not found" and the FN key doesn't function. Weird. :mad: SO I have no way of adjusting the volume from the keyboad… Hope it is just a glitch before they restore the software.

Edit: The keyboard feels great though… if only I can get full functionality.

9. giganten macrumors 6502a

Should I go and pick up one of this keyboards for my MBP, worth the money?
    Love the design of it and I need a keyboard when I am working at my desk here.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, it is a very nice keyboard… but until Apple solves the software functionality it is crippled and dead in the water…

11. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

I installed the software, but my dashboard/exposé function keys aren't working either (I didn't use them until it was mentioned here...) Sounds like a bug, maybe? I really love the media keys and the design though!

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

The software update has re-appeared on Apple's site. Downloaded and installed. But the Expose and Dashboard keys still do not functio until you go into System Preferences and map the keys… ridiculous!
    Surely a keyboard is a relatively simple piece of programming?
    Anyway… at least now I can change volume and use the eject key. :rolleyes:

13. giganten macrumors 6502a

Okay. will wait then, dont need it right now anyway.

14. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

Well, because the mac mini's airport finally gave up the ghost, I archived and installed.

When doing the vast cycle of updates, I came across a 16.6mb "Apple Keyboard Software 1.1" which when installed wanted a restart, now my Exposé and Dashboard buttons work! So I'm happy, keyboard is fixed and the airport is finally... I won't say it unless it goes again...

15. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

arkitect, what was the update number you installed? link? i'm on 1.0 and no joy with expose yet

16. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I've got a nice new 20" 2.4Ghz iMac and haven't installed this keyboard update yet - althought it shows up in Software Update. My keys worked fine out of the box, think I'll pass on the update for the moment.

17. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

18. luke_s macrumors member

luke_s

i received my new keyboard (DE) today. it works great except for the usb ports. when i try to connect my usb stick or ipod, i always get the error message that there's not enough power to run the device.
    has anyone experienced the same?

19. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I can't believe how small it is, and how small that Enter key is.

When you compare both UK keyboard keys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odd, it works for me.

No, as I was running my camera and usb flash drive off it last night.

20. canadaspy macrumors newbie

Dashboard and Expose keys not working

In a bizarre way, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. Misery loves company, right?

I am using a 15" MacBook Pro + 23" Cinema Display + new keyboard. My Dashboard and Expose keys are not working, but everything else is fine and dandy.

I was on the phone with Apple tech support this morning and they had not heard of the problem and after making me jump through some useless hoops (reinstalling update, running it though a test account, etc.) they said I'd have to do a full Archive & Restore of the entire OS. I basically told them "You can kiss my A$$!"

So it looks like this is a widespread problem with the new keyboard and MacBook Pro's specifically. I hope they fix this problem soon! The keyboard is really nice, but having 2 "broken" keys is not exactly the Apple experience I'm used to.

21. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Guys,

Is this available in the U.S.?

If so what is the name of the keyboard and where
    can it be purchased?

Thanks in advance!

22. Zneo11 macrumors newbie

Yeah I had the same experience. In my case after i got off the phone with Apple i plugged the thing into my g5 ( it wasn't working on my mac pro ) and i worked then. So i called them again and they told me to do a archive reinstall. Don't get me wrong I love Apple to death but i'm really pissed, this archive thing better work.

23. kolax, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012

kolax macrumors G3

Disappointed they have still given us UK users a tiny key - I've gotten used to the enter key on my MBP being tiny (same size as the new keyboard) but occasionally I mis-hit it.

24. Zneo11 macrumors newbie

Ok so the Archive install worked and didnt seem to affect my mac in any negative way. All in all it worked but it was still too much to make a stupid button work.

25. Zneo11 macrumors newbie

Actually after i posted this i found that none of my pro apps aka. Finalcut studio and adobes stuff dosent want to work. ahhh!!!