Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
When I ORDERED my Mac last August, the estimated ship date was October 11. I found this unfair that I did not receive the upgrade as well, though I didn't exactly qualify. However, I went to the site to see if I qualified for an upgrade, and it said I did! I placed my order and I guess I'll see if it all works out in 9 days, 19 hours, and 20 minutes!

D ROCK

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
which site and how did you check this?
I am only days before the specified date!?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I just ordered an up-to-date kit for a Mac a purchased in late August. It worked fine.

Is this a full version or some type of upgrade disc? If full, I wonder if it will ship in retail packaging. I doubt it.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Umm ... I just ordered an up-to-date kit for a Mac a purchased in late August. It worked fine.

Is this a full version or some type of upgrade disc? If full, I wonder if it will ship in retail packaging. I doubt it.

The point of this thread is to say that I tried it and it might work for you too (You made it seem as if it DIDN'T work for me.)
And being that every Mac ships with OS X. There is just 3 different disks: Single User, Family Pack, and OS X Server. So technically every OSX disc is an "upgrade." I expect full retail packaging.

seanneko

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
Umm, you know that the terms & conditions say that you need to fax the receipt to them, don't you?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The point of this thread is to say that I tried it and it might work for you too (You made it seem as if it DIDN'T work for me.)

No, that's not what I meant by "Ummm." I was surprised that it work for me also (since my purchase was in late August).

And being that every Mac ships with OS X. There is just 3 different disks: Single User, Family Pack, and OS X Server. So technically every OSX disc is an "upgrade." I expect full retail packaging.

With Panther's Up-to-Date program, Apple shipped discs that looked similar to the retail copy but were marked "Upgrade." These discs required an operating system to already be installed, and could not perform a full erase and install.

I do not have personal experience with Tiger's Up-to-Date program, but I would imagine our Leopard upgrade discs won't perform clean installs.

If you check out the iLife 08 Up-to-Date thread, you will also see that they received discs marked upgrade that required iLife 06 installed.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Umm, you know that the terms & conditions say that you need to fax the receipt to them, don't you?

That's if you mail in the order form. Online submissions are verified through Apple's servers and processed directly through the Apple Store online.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006

Well, worst that can happen is that I have to pay full retail price... UGHH! But I still don't understand why it said I qualify. :confused:

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A

I disagree..

Here is what their site says:

Apple Terms said:
To receive your Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard upgrade, you must complete the order form and provide a photocopy of a dated, itemized sales receipt or packing slip indicating the marketing part number(s) of the qualifying system(s) purchased.

The program ends on December 29, 2007. Completed order form, payment, and dated, itemized sales receipt must be postmarked or faxed by January 4, 2008, to the address or fax number listed on this form. Please note that only credit card orders can be faxed.

I think this only applies if you are using the mail/fax in order.

(Found here: http://images.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/pdf/Mac_OS_UTD.pdf )

If you ordered online and did the whole serial checker thing... You should be okay.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
When I ORDERED my Mac last August, the estimated ship date was October 11. I found this unfair that I did not receive the upgrade as well, though I didn't exactly qualify. However, I went to the site to see if I qualified for an upgrade, and it said I did! I placed my order and I guess I'll see if it all works out in 9 days, 19 hours, and 20 minutes!

I don't think it will work, if you read the terms carefully... you will see that it says you need to provide them with a copy of the sales receipt showing the Oct 1, 2007 to present date bought.

Terms and Conditions
This program entitles the purchaser of a qualifying Macintosh computer purchased between October 1, 2007, and December 29, 2007, to upgrade to Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard. • Mac OS X updates,
which may currently be downloaded from http://www.apple.com or software update, are not included in this program. • To receive your Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard upgrade, you must complete the
order form and provide a photocopy of a dated, itemized sales receipt or packing slip indicating the marketing part number(s) of the qualifying system(s) purchased. • The program ends on
December 29, 2007. Completed order form, payment, and dated, itemized sales receipt must be postmarked or faxed by January 4, 2008, to the address or fax number listed on this form. Please
note that only credit card orders can be faxed. • This offer is good only in the United States (50 states and the District of Columbia) and Canada, and valid only in accordance with the terms set
forth on this certificate. • Void where prohibited by law or where otherwise restricted. • Upon receipt of your order, products from inventory in stock will be shipped within 24 hours via U.S. mail
(U.S. postal delivery typically takes 3 to 7 working days). Canadian orders may require additional delivery time due to customs processing. • Apple reserves the right to change the terms of
this offer at any time without notice. • Lost, late, mutilated, or misdirected mail or fax errors are not the responsibility of Apple or Corporate Services and will not be considered. • Apple is not
responsible for printing errors. • No refunds or returns will be allowed.•

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
The question here is whether or not the online orders will be further verified or inspected. I sincerely hope so because it's not right that you receive the discounted price if you ordered months ago. For people who ordered a mere week before the cut off, I'm a little more understanding, but it really pisses me off when others try to exploit Apple on this.

We all complain when the prices go up, or when the education discount gets cut back, and then a bunch of you turn around and do this. The only reason the discount is offered is as an apology to those who JUST ordered - a means of saying, if you'd have known about the Leopard release date you'd probably have waited a week or two. For those of us who ordered in June, July, Augusts, we made the choice so now we live with it.

I had tremendous problems with my MBP that I ordered back in June and I finally got a replacement shipped from Apple on September 29th. I know without a doubt that if I asked my Apple Customer Care Exec for it, he would comp me Leopard. I'm not going to ask because I don't deserve it. Apple was already amazingly good to me by just offering me a complete swap. Why should I be entitled to receive their new operating system without paying?

Stop abusing Apple's good will or they'll become more and more like those other companies that we love to hate who treat their customers like sources a revenue and not family.

/rant

designweld

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
If the ship date of the computer was Oct 11, then it's safe. Apple doesn't charge your card until it ships, so technically you didn't buy it until that ship date. Totally clear, I don't think you're exploiting the system on this one. Congrats!

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
If the ship date of the computer was Oct 11, then it's safe. Apple doesn't charge your card until it ships, so technically you didn't buy it until that ship date. Totally clear, I don't think you're exploiting the system on this one. Congrats!

What, no. The first estimated date was October 11th he said. Clearly it shipped long before that. He ordered it back in August...

designweld

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Well, the original poster has never told us when his card was actually charged or his item actually shipped, so there's no real point in arguing unless we know the entire story...

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I don't think it will work, if you read the terms carefully... you will see that it says you need to provide them with a copy of the sales receipt showing the Oct 1, 2007 to present date bought.

Your taking info out of context. Those terms are talking about the Fax/Mail in form. They need to have some kind of verification of your serial number.

The online submission instantly verifies your serial. You are either denied or accepted.

If you were accepted via the online method you are GOLDEN :D

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
The question here is whether or not the online orders will be further verified or inspected.

I imagine that they will be. Apple has a record of when each computer was sold by serial number, but they may not tie those records to the online application system. That probably happens later on in the process. If there's preliminary verification it's probably to see if it's a model that possible could have been sold after Oct. 1 (i.e., not a G4 imac)

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I imagine that they will be. Apple has a record of when each computer was sold by serial number, but they may not tie those records to the online application system. That probably happens later on in the process. If there's preliminary verification it's probably to see if it's a model that possible could have been sold after Oct. 1 (i.e., not a G4 imac)

My friend got his AL iMac the week after they came out. (Aug).

I told him about the Leopard upgrade thing, He went on, filled it out, and was accepted.

He ordered yesterday, Today his card was charged...

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
i got mine on august 12 and it wont work. if i put a diff date it says it can't find the serial number.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Bought my MBP in mid September. Put my serial number in the form on Apple's website and said that I bought my system in early October... it took me to the store and let me order the discounted version of Leopard, cool!

Funny for all those people that waited to make their computer purchase because of Leopard... I guess a gamble pays off sometimes.

Thanks Apple!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I ordered mine 2.5 years ago and it worked.
You all know someone was going to try.

jhkingsr

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
NC
I bought my iMac from Amazon on Sept 19........ and it was delivered on Oct 2.....:rolleyes:

Entered my serial number on the Apple UTD site and I qualified. Got my order acknowledgment a few minutes ago.

$ 9.95 Mac OSX 10.5 Fulfillment-Int
$ 0.67 sales tax
$10.62 total

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.