Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music has partnered with Warner Music and Accenture Interactive's Rothco to launch "Saylists" – playlists of songs selected to help young people with a speech-sound disorder, or SSD.

saylist-apple-music.jpg

According to the BBC, the project uses algorithms to find song lyrics in Apple Music's vast library of tracks that repeat challenging sounds, allowing listeners to sing along as a form of speech therapy.

Getting children with SSD to repeat challenging syllables, words, and phrases is considered to be one of the most successful therapeutic strategies, reports Musicweek. The repetition involved can be tedious and draining for children, which is why the "Saylists" are designed to add a fun and engaging element to that experience.

So far, the algorithm has selected 173 tracks that meet its criteria, including Dua Lipa's "Don't Start Now," Lizzo's "Good As Hell," and Fatboy Slim's "Right Here, Right Now."
Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists chief executive Kamini Gadhok told BBC News: "We're always pleased to hear about innovative approaches that support speech-and-language therapists in their work. As with all new techniques and tools, we recommend effective evaluation and monitoring of outcomes."
The "Saylists" are English-language only and can only be accessed by Apple Music subscribers in the United Kingdom, where one in 12 children experience some form of SSD. Whether the program will be extended to other regions and territories remains unknown.

Update: Apple Music "Saylists" will in fact be available globally, MacRumors can confirm.

Article Link: New Apple Music 'Saylists' Geared Towards Speech Therapy for Children [Updated]

Last edited:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Sounds amazing, but “Feeling Good as Hell” is a bit blue for kids.

Lizzo said:
Woo child, tired of the ********
Go on dust your shoulders off, keep it moving
Yes Lord, tryna get some new ****
In there, swimwear, going to the pool ****
Come now, come dry your eyes
You know you a star, you can touch the sky
I know that it's hard but you have to try
If you need advice, let me simplify

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Seems like an approach that is very cheap, and could work very well. So if I get this right, they pick music with lyrics that is hard to speak so kids or adults can use this to practice. So simple.

Should be possible with other languages as well, as long as there are enough songs in that language on iTunes.

Luveno

macrumors member
May 12, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
As a Canadian having multiple children having gone through and going through speech therapy, this is a nice idea.

Anyone in the UK want to share a tracklist so I can copy some of the songs?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Cool idea. I have to wonder if Apple also makes sure that the songs are appropriate. I don't want kindergartners to hear WAP, if that's one of the songs.
The "Saylists"… can only be accessed by Apple Music subscribers
This is kind of stupid. I seriously doubt many schools will spring for the cost of Apple Music just for this. Not sure how many speech pathologists will pay for it either. I get it, Apples a company and their chief priority is profit, but I'm sure that there many other options that are far cheaper.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
Something like this would be perfect with a HomePod. It’s a shame Apple didn’t open it up for developers to create apps such as language learning apps, etc as the HomePod would be a perfect match. Even a HomePod store with apps and skills (Amazon has a better method as Shortcuts are cumbersome and general users don’t have the time to create them) would be excellent.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Hmmmm....

Most of the commenters are treating this is an unquestioned "good thing."

Can anyone think of anything perhaps wrong with corporations (sorry, their "algorithms") choosing the music to pump into your kid's head?

Reactions: !!!

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
As a Canadian having multiple children having gone through and going through speech therapy, this is a nice idea.

Anyone in the UK want to share a tracklist so I can copy some of the songs?
Sorry, not a response to your request, but I wonder if a playlist (rather than the specific songs on it) is considered IP or if these lists could be openly shared? If they're IP (which I suspect they would be), then I'd guess the order of a playlist is one of its defining features, so if I just rearranged a playlist would that then by 'mine'?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is an awesome and innovative idea. I hope it's a test in the UK and will be expanded later.
Agreed!

Her I thought Apple couldn't progress - I should've known better lol. This is a good innovation and should rapidly expand globally.

It's kinda unnerving WHY Apple released software features that are still only regionally available, I doubt there is a legal restriction in most western countries so why? Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Cookie18

icerabbit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2006
I sincerely hope the songs are curated to be child appropriate and will have proper pronounciation and grammar. The number of popular songs on the radio, even from top dollar US born English speaking artists with improper grammar and word use, continues to make my hair stand up.

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
Agreed!

Her I thought Apple couldn't progress - I should've known better lol. This is a good innovation and should rapidly expand globally.

It's kinda unnerving WHY Apple released software features that are still only regionally available, I doubt there is a legal restriction in most western countries so why? Doesn't make sense.
I don’t think they are going to do a legal restriction. More like an illegal restriction.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

BayRunner

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Sounds amazing, but “Feeling Good as Hell” is a bit blue for kids.
I'm increasingly uneasy about letting the kids access Music. Even with filtering, I'm finding a lot gets through and isn't marked as explicit. That on top of 80% of top songs contain explicit content. I wish Apple would just create a kids Music app.

Reactions: Rocko99991
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.