Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Apple Pencil holds way more potential than Apple has exploited.

Personally, I’d like it to be shorter and fatter. More like a sketch pencil than a drafting pen:

View attachment 2355809

Hexagonal body, grippy surface (not gloss.)

It should also have an “eraser” on one end for instant flipping and erasing.

Other additions could include swappable tips (already rumored) that give a more natural feel to things like markers and brushes.

Either a clicky switch or a Taptic Engine for tactile feedback.

Find My functionality with a little speaker so that it can make a sound when lost.

Some after market companies make screen protectors that make the pencil actually feel like a pencil when you use it. I doubt Apple would release a textured screen, but they may be able to make the pencil tip react more naturally or even use a Taptic Engine to make it rumble a little to replicate paper feel. (Yes, I know this would use too much battery to be practical. I’m just spitballing.)

Different color choices.

The pencil can and should be a lot more than it is right now.

So you expect it to be half the size with twice the features and don't see how that could be a problem?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
So you expect it to be half the size with twice the features and don't see how that could be a problem?

What?

If you look at one of those sketch pencils in person they’re not smaller than the Apple Pencil in volume. They’re BIGGER.

As to features? Nothing I mentioned wouldn’t fit into a pencil the size of the one I showed and regardless, I was speculating about what Apple COULD do with the pencil, not what I EXPECT them to do. In fact, I CLEARLY pointed out that I DON’T expect them to do what I suggested.

This place. I swear.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Looking forward to the day when these forums have an AI powered filter to weed out all the sarcastic comments for those of us that wish to have a genuine discussion about the topic at hand

raycornwall

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
Snark-free discussion here:

For those who want an Apple Pencil now, I've seen the Amazon prices fall as lower as $80, with refurbed and open boxes a little cheaper.

If anything I would like the following on a new Pencil:
1. A better finish- mine has a crack on both sides. At first, I thought it was a possible battery issue, but it's been there for a while, and no explodeys, so I think it's just a crack. I've seen more than a trivial amount of users with this problem.
2. Inclusion in the Find My program. I had to replace my original Pencil when I dropped it in a rainstorm at night and couldn't find it. I can find just about everything else with Find My- why not this?

In a perfect world, I'd love integration with my iPhone and MacBook Pro, but I know those aren't possible this generation.

I do think Apple made a great product with the Apple Pencil in conjunction with the iPad Pro. The magnet charging is perfect. I didn't have any desire to buy the USB-C model because I just leave the Pencil attached to the iPad Pro. The case I have cradles it next to the iPad, so it's perfect. (The lost Pencil was a different case.)

I don't use it much for professional work, but that's because in my current role, I can't bring my own devices into play. When I could, it was great in presentations.

Of my Apple products- iPhone 14 Pro Max, Macbook Pro M2 14", iPad Pro 2022 12.9", Airpod Pros 2nd gen, an older Apple Watch, and the pencil- it's not the product I most want a refresh of. But if they announce some new features that sound enticing at a similar price point to the current model, I'd be interested. I'm probably more interested in the upcoming iPad Pro refresh, and I'd love to see a better Airpod Max (or whatever they call the headphones).

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I want a ruggedized/rubberized surface. Or something, anything better than my Dec, 2018 AP2 (which has started to fail after taking a direct perpendicular hit when dropped in dialysis). As long as it will attach and charge magnetically to my 12.9 iPad Air I could do without magnetically replaceable tips or color sampling. Though of course those would be nice and appreciated.

Would even accept rubber sleeves/jackets for the AP, even if I would end up calling them pencil condoms - or 8,192 levels of pressure sensitivity. Or being able to switch settings by giving bluetooth transferred voice commands from my watch or iPad's.

Tom says 'Pencil, yellow highlighter, width 4' or 'Pencil, blue ballpoint, width 1' or 'Pencil, eraser', etc. Why not instead of having to change focus from where I am working at the bottom of a document up to the menu bar in Notability or Goodnotes and then back to the bottom. Would love to have this when grocery shopping when I am ticking stuff off or adding to my lists.

Or being able to learn commands from apps and then controlling these commands to the pencil through voice.

Yeah I know....for the Apple Pencil 10.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.