Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
OK, so I've been struggling to get my G5 working since its delivery in September. This has involved lots of shipping equipment back and forth.

On Friday, FedEx attempted delivery of a replacement Cinema Display HD, the latest thing to get swapped out. They left a door tag, so I went to go pick it up at the FedEx office.

When I got there, I discovered that Apple has, as of about a week ago, put in place new delivery requirements on everything they ship out that require (first) that only the named recipient can sign for a package, not an apartment manager or any other third party, and (second) that they are specifically forbidden from releasing the package over the counter at a FedEx location even to the named recipient.

Of course, since I have to go to work during the week, this makes it impossible to have anything delivered at home (since I won't be there) or at work (because receiving would have to sign for the package, not me, and the requirements apparently do not permit this.)

So, faced with this, I had to refuse delivery, and I'm waiting until Monday to see what happens next. The tier-2 tech support rep who's been handling my problems at Apple got an earful on his voice mail, so I guess I'll hear what he has to say on Monday.

-- Mark

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I'm wondering if a FedEx doc was filled out incorrectly. I also went to pick up an Apple delivery at FedEx on Friday because I was not at home when they attempted to deliver - they gave the package as usual.

Now that I think about it, I didn't even know it was possible to prevent an undelivered package from being picked up by the addressee.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
gbojim said:
I'm wondering if a FedEx doc was filled out incorrectly. I also went to pick up an Apple delivery at FedEx on Friday because I was not at home when they attempted to deliver - they gave the package as usual.

Now that I think about it, I didn't even know it was possible to prevent an undelivered package from being picked up by the addressee.
thats what i was thinking. but what i would do is have your stuff delivered to work. i have everything delivered to my parents business and it makes things much easier, someone always there to sign.

iJon

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...yeah, that just sounds completely off, I mean, you can't even pick it up yourself with ID proving you really are "you"? Sounds like someone at FedEx (or Apple's shipping dept.) got something a little screwed up....oh yeah!

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
I can't have it delivered to work. For one thing, it must be signed for by the named recipient, nobody else (and at work the receiving dept. signs for everything.)

For another, bulky 50 lb. computers and 20 lb. monitors are a bit much to expect our very busy receiving department to handle.

-- Mark

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Anyway the FedEx folks were extremely clear that these restrictions were Apple's requirement, not theirs.

-- Mark

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
Counterfit said:
If Duff-man says so, it must be true! :D

go Duff-man.
But this is really odd, something must be up.
I've never been a fan of getting delicate computer equiptment being sent through the general mail. You should organise to go into apple and pick the screen up directly.

Sorry to hear about your problems, good to see you giving them **** though.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I talked to the FedEx guy the day before, and told him that I could not sign for the package that will be delivered the next day, he said that I could just fill out a form--so I said okay. Then he asked me who was the package coming from, and I said Apple. He said well nevermind we can only release Apple packages to the person that the package is shipped to.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
joshuawaire said:
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I talked to the FedEx guy the day before, and told him that I could not sign for the package that will be delivered the next day, he said that I could just fill out a form--so I said okay. Then he asked me who was the package coming from, and I said Apple. He said well nevermind we can only release Apple packages to the person that the package is shipped to.

When I got my iBook, I had this same issue with AirEx, so I'm not so sure it's FedEx's fault. The funny thing is that my shipment came in four pieces (iBook, printer, AEBS, BT mouse) and I had this issue only with the AEBS. Some pieces came from AirEx and some from FedEx, everything else got left at the manager's office. In fact, IIRC, when I called AirEx the first time, they were willing to let me come get it (it was just before Christmas and I was leaving town!), and then when I called again to make sure someone was there before I left the house, they said they couldn't do it, for the same reason, also very specific about this being Apple's issue.

Also, IIRC, what I did was leave a note on my door with my signature asking them very nicely to go to the manager's office, and they did just that the next day.

I don't think the shipping companies reinforce these kind of rules very consistently...sometimes you get a bad apple (or a good apple?) who won't work with you, but often they will be cooperative.

DHL allows you to pick up packages with photo ID. This seems very reasonable to me.

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
Can anyone verify/deny this for certain? I'm waiting for a PowerBook to come back but I work all week and the only person at home is my dad...

:confused:

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
If you have a tracking number, you can call the carrier and ask what restrictions there might be on delivery of the package.

Anyway, if I hear more information when I talk to the support rep on Monday, I'll post here.

-- Mark

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
FedEx??

mark_wilkins said:
OK, so I've been struggling to get my G5 working since its delivery in September. This has involved lots of shipping equipment back and forth.

On Friday, FedEx attempted delivery of a replacement Cinema Display HD, the latest thing to get swapped out. They left a door tag, so I went to go pick it up at the FedEx office.

Why is FedEx delivering your system? I thought Apple's service deliveries were handled by Airborne Express.

machem

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Stockton/Sacramento CA
I needed an iTrip and some in-ear phones, and even though I'm only a few miles from an Apple Store, I just couldn't get myself down there to get them, so I figured I'd get them on-line, since there is a big Apple shipping center here. Sure enough, the day after I ordered them, they shipped. Here my stuggles began.

To make a long story short, they were shipped FedEx Home Delivery. These guys are pretty much local-types carrying the FedEx name, and are totally separate from FedEx Ground. I have a signature waiver on file for FedEx, but FEHD wouldn't honor it, because they aren't the same operation. They did tell me that the "no signature waiver" rule was due to Apple. They tried to deliver it, and after a lot of hassle, I arranged to pick it up at the FEHD office. They did try to deliver it twice more, even though I arranged to have it held after the first attempt.

So when I picked up the package, they offered me a signature waiver form! I asked if it would work, even for Apple deliveries, and they said "sure".

Go figure.

FedEx is still the best of a bad lot.

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Apple uses several carriers for their shipping. I've received their stuff by FedEx and Airborne but I think they use UPS also sometimes.

-- Mark

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Unbelievable!

OK, so I just talked to someone in Apple's "dispatch" department, responsible for shipping out warranty replacement products.

She told me that since the restrictions are part of Apple's contract with FedEx, they could not be waived. She also told me that a signature release waiver SHOULD be sufficient to get the package left for me.

FedEx, on the other hand, has told me that because of Apple's new contract they cannot accept a signature release waiver.

On hearing this, the Apple employee's response was to suggest that drivers may not always enforce the rules as strictly as a FedEx telephone rep might state. I pointed out that this fact does not make the policy any less stupid.

So now I'm waiting to hear back on the matter from the tier-2 tech support rep who's been working on the case.

I have to say, I certainly would not be rushing out to order any high-value Apple products from the online store until they have this mess worked out!!

-- Mark

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
mark_wilkins said:
OK, so I just talked to someone in Apple's "dispatch" department, responsible for shipping out warranty replacement products.

She told me that since the restrictions are part of Apple's contract with FedEx, they could not be waived. She also told me that a signature release waiver SHOULD be sufficient to get the package left for me.

FedEx, on the other hand, has told me that because of Apple's new contract they cannot accept a signature release waiver.

On hearing this, the Apple employee's response was to suggest that drivers may not always enforce the rules as strictly as a FedEx telephone rep might state. I pointed out that this fact does not make the policy any less stupid.

So now I'm waiting to hear back on the matter from the tier-2 tech support rep who's been working on the case.

I have to say, I certainly would not be rushing out to order any high-value Apple products from the online store until they have this mess worked out!!

-- Mark

FedEx Home Delivery and FedEx Ground are brought by the same truck in my town. However, the nearest FedEx shipping center is 45 miles away. It is my understanding that HD is a new division of FedEx, and that Apple has just recently started shipping "big ticket items" with HD. HD is susposed to offer some interesting new options such as scheduled delivery times, etc. However, I think that the shipper is responsible for enabling those options. Also, in my case Apple always uses Airborne (which is now DHL) for shipment of warranty items. A representative at Apple Support told me that they use Airborne for priority items (such as warranty items) because their overnight shipping charges are more reasonable.

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
My shipment was FedEx Express, not Home Delivery. I suspect they're set up to get quotes for shipping on a case-by-case basis and ship using whichever carrier is least expensive for the particular destination.

-- Mark

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
mark_wilkins said:
My shipment was FedEx Express, not Home Delivery. I suspect they're set up to get quotes for shipping on a case-by-case basis and ship using whichever carrier is least expensive for the particular destination.

-- Mark
Your probally right. Be sure to post and let us know how it turns out. Even more reason to purchase from Apple providers like Macmall, Macwarehouse, etc.

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
I had the same issue with an iTrip- except it was shipped via UPS. I get home from school right after the delivery trucks come through- and i had left notes, a sig waiver form, and it wasn't enough. The only thing you can do sometimes is chase down the truck ;-)

-ajmbc

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
joshuawaire said:
Your probally right. Be sure to post and let us know how it turns out. Even more reason to purchase from Apple providers like Macmall, Macwarehouse, etc.

Or your local Apple reseller! They're a dying breed and need support! :)

Oh, and you can usually get better customer service from a local reseller, too.

MacMall especially is notorious for poor customer service. :p

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
macguymike said:
Or your local Apple reseller! They're a dying breed and need support! :)

Oh, and you can usually get better customer service from a local reseller, too.

MacMall especially is notorious for poor customer service. :p
That is true, unless you don't have a local Apple reseller :`( I've had good luck with Macmall now that I have an "account representative"... but to each their own :)

KCK

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Oakland, CA
joshuawaire said:
That is true, unless you don't have a local Apple reseller :`( I've had good luck with Macmall now that I have an "account representative"... but to each their own :)

The last item I bought from the Apple online store was an Airport extreme base station. It was shipped via Airborn. The delivery person tossed the box from our lower walkway onto our porch landing ( a good 10 foot + toss). The dirver was short on the first toss and the box fell down and broke a large branch off of one of our plants. The driver hit the landing on the second toss. Of course there was a big sticker on the outside of the box that said signature required but that didn't stop the driver from going off and leaving the box on my porch landing without getting a signature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.