iPad New Apple Smart Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Toucanet, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Toucanet macrumors member

Will you buy the Apple Smart Case for your iPad Air or Mini? I am undecided wheter to buy or not. I have read that is Made with italian leather, I think it is the same leather as the iPhone 5s Case or the old 69$ leather Smart Cover. What is the quality of that leather?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're very nice imo, but if I were buying a new iPad I would go third party because I want orange. I don't get why there is no love for orange with Apple. They had a nice orange nano once. :( I still wish they would make the first iPad case they ever made. That thing was wonderful.

3. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the opinion. I personaly like the brown one.

4. Macalway macrumors 68000

I can't afford a case :eek:

My children are clothed though :)

5. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

They are really expansive, but I hope they are thinner and lighter than the thirdy party case.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'll be getting the yellow one to match the yellow Apple leather case I have on my iPhone 5.

And it's the same exact leather used on the iPhone case: aniline leather. iPhone and iPad are gonna look great together with the cases!

7. DoubleDose macrumors newbie

Not a big fan of the full leather case but I am really going to miss my Leather smart cover so I may want to spring for this eventually.

8. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Ebay has great alternatives in case you would like a case.I personally have never purchased any name brand case for full price actually the only name brand I have had is otter and they were all gave to me.The case market flows right with the releases and if you do the right searches you can get one for -$15

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Not saying you're wrong but aniline leather refers to the dying method used and not the leather itself.
    They could be totally different leathers but using the same dye.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Thanks for the information. I'm not very well versed in the types of leather and dyes.

I'm personally hoping they are the same types of leather. The iPhone 5/5s case feels quite nice, and matching the two would make sense.

11. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I just wish they would do some classic colors like the current leather smart covers. I just want to get away from the pastels a little bit and have a Navy blue case or smart cover. I hope a 3rd party vendor makes one.

12. Seniordan macrumors regular

I want a navy blue leather smart cover!

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would like a red one.

14. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Have they announced the weight of the Smart Case?

15. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

Curious to know the weight too. Had the leather Smart Cover with back protector on my iPad 3 and it was really heavy.

16. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

According to the AnandTech review, the Smart Case for the iPad Air does not seem to have the same durability issues as its little iPhone 5S brother.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review

This could be the reason for me to buy one... Otherwise I will go for the Smart Cover.

17. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

How much weight will a smartcase add to the air?
    I would like a blue one to match my white 5s with blue leather case. :)

----------

Awnsering my own question... From AnandTech:

How will it be in real life?

18. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys,

Could those of you who have the new Smart Case for the iPad Air let us know how the quality of that product is? Is it more or less the same as the leather case for the iPhone 5S.

I really hope that the red case won't get those nasty dark spots on it as the iPhone case.

19. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

It feels like a really good quality case. It feels very soft in the hand and I really like it. My only concern is the durability. As its a product that has really only been available for 24 hours, we won't really know much about its longevity for a week or two

20. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks for your post, pal!

If anyone haa something interesting to tell concerning the longivity of the case or to share his/her thoughts, do it please. I think I am not the only one willing to know more about the new case.

21. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

hey just got the ipad air and a smart cover. how many positions does the smart cover fold in? Is it just one but you can turn the ipad to have 2 different viewing angles? Thanks

22. freelance2 macrumors newbie

freelance2

I don't like the case, and previously posted these comments (in the wrong forum)

Two issues:

1) Doesn't close flat, air gaps at the hinge and tip of cover. These may work themselves out over time but it feels like a box a bit too large for the thin Air. I hoped it would feel more like a thin glove as does the new leather case for the iPhone 5S.

2) The cover doesn't fold out of the way as easily or inconspicuously as the Smart Cover for prior generations.

23. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Love mine with my space gray ipad #picked up the red leather one.

Sorry for the dark pic

Attached Files:

24. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I have the Apple Smartcase. I like it but I'm not happy about the fact the the cover doesn't seem to be held magnetically on the back of the iPad when I flip it to use it.

I'm going to go back to Apple and see if this is a quality control or design issue.

My old iPad2 cover stuck to the back great. This one does not.

25. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I picked up the yellow case (it's green on the inside, and a more greenish yellow than the PU covers or the iPhone case) - really nice quality and quite light. The only change I would make is to have the cover magnetise to the back, so it doesn't flap about - but it makes the iPad really comfortable to hold and offers great protection (after one day).