New Apple Store Policy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mydream, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mydream macrumors newbie

I don't know if it's true for other stores, but at the one in Glendale,CA:

"If you buy two iPad2's, you must pay with 1 with a credit card"
    "Every iPad2 will be opened in store and activated".

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Must be a Ca thing as a friend of mine just left the store with two iPad2 units, still sealed in the box, un activated

3. anhhungcodoc macrumors newbie

i hope they adopt this throughout the country fast. opened ipad 2 = screw the resale value price for scalper :D

4. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

5. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

That makes no sense. What happens if it is a gift for someone?

6. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Why would they care if it didn't have the plastic shrink wrap?

7. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

What do you mean by activated? Do you mean the 3G models? It makes no sense to sync a new iPad to a machine that will not eventually be its home computer. And if you mean the 3G versions, I only got the 3G so I could pre-pay for service when I occasionally go out of town. I do not intend to have it on all the time.

Either way, I find it impossible to believe that this is more than one store taking things in their own hands.

8. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Then put in back in the box, wrap it up and explain the new policy to the person you're 'gifting' it to. ;)

9. DaBlackMamba macrumors member

What's buying with a credit card going to change anything? Those guys can still buy it and sell it? Unless I am missing something

However, opening in the store, is a good idea. Although for some reason, I don't think they can enforce that. If the customer does not want the employee to open the item, I don't think they can force them to.

It seems like supply has gone up recently, so we should she scalpers leaving soon. I'd say in a week. Need to see what happens with international launch.

10. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Because some people actually enjoy opening up their own gifts. It is like opening up a condom and trying it on and selling it off. D@mnit I want to open up my own condoms.

11. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Makes sense, since many organized resellers are using cash, cc will make it harder to buy large amounts. apple did this on one of the iPhone launches and got some flack, but seems like a good way to thwart these resellers.
    It's harder to hand out 20, 50 or 100 credit cards to their linemen than cold cash and run.

12. mydream thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess they are trying to sell to those who would actually be using it first

13. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

The question is whether Apple cares. As long as there is a demand and their stores sell out in 1-1.5hrs and people are waiting in line 3-4hrs, why would they care? They are selling every single iPad2 they are making while the Zooms of the world are sitting on the shelves.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

5 points for you!

15. sealos macrumors regular

New "policy" hasn't hit Raleigh yet

Bought 2 64GB AT&T and purchased on 2 cards... and they didn't open the boxes.

16. Bheleu macrumors 6502

ATT models came in today finally!!!

Got 2 - 64GB White ATT today, one has gift receipt other does not (finally one for me to keep), went to back of line without my glasses on and got a 16GB white ATT as well, have a buyer lined up @ $150 profit during lunch. Sad thing is, they still have more at the store, got a ton of them in today, floodgates really opened up here. Also sold one of my black 32's today too at $100 profit before going to wait in the line.

Also they wanted to set them up, but I said I would rather do it later. It was that simple.

First two via CC - AMEX to extend warranty, last one paid cash for. I may not be making much on each of them, but it should add up to either keep 2 iPad 2's in the family - think my wife wants one now, or definitely get the DSLR I am saving for.

17. mydream thread starter macrumors newbie

Those who get paid to stand in line probably wouldn't care and would buy 1 anyways but the actual resellers will get hit hard with all these open box items:D

18. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Now it would be humorous if they opened them up as you were paying for it, but it would also be funny to have apple suddenly have a customer walk out without paying for it leaving the store with an opened box item.

19. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Which store were you buying from? My local store didn't get any AT&T model today. So sad

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

i doubt this is legal, pay for it and just walk out. they can't stop you just to open your ipads once you pay for them.

21. outphase macrumors 65816

It may be legal if it's a condition of sale as opposed to a post-transaction surprise. If you do not accept the terms, then you do not purchase. If you do accept, then you are allowed to purchase.

22. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You pay first, then they get the iPad in the back. Open it behind the counter for you. What are you going to do jump over the counter and snatch the iPad? Security! Security!

23. alent1234 macrumors 603

demand an unopened one

i bet most states and local laws say a new product is one that hasn't been opened yet

24. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Could be that they want to make sure the iPad isn't defective. This would cut down on returns.

25. JamesSmart macrumors newbie

JamesSmart