New Apple Stores and Closings

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider lists Oklahoma City, OK, Arlington, VA, Paramus NJ, Northbrook, IL, and Orlando, FL as new locations based on job listings at Apple.

Meanwhile, ThinkSecret reports that two independent Apple resellers are shutting down and blaming Apple for their inability to continue.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if they were good stores they would stay in business, i know an particularly evil apple store near me that closed down soon after the london apple store opened, they sold old software at above RRP and they sold old macs that had problems with them at extortionate prices they gave apple a bad name

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Apple stores are a great way for "others" to check out Apple products. I have to think the mall stores bring in a lot of new customers. Losing resellers is never a good thing.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Wow, an Apple store in Paramus NJ. That will make 4 stores within a 45 mile radius! Also there is a Compusa store in Paramus with a Kick-@ss Apple section and staffed with a really great Apple Rep ( Peter). Good News for us!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A loss of a business and jobs is always sad. I think that a problem for resellers is that they can't afford to have the large quantity of inventory that Apple carries. In some cases the expertise isn't as good. They also tend to not have the latest products.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
too bad for the resellers, but who knows....

im a little surprised about the Northbrook, IL one though, that makes what four in the chicagoland area? Michigan Ave, Woodfield, Old Orchard...& now Northbrook, i might be missing one as well.....well the more the merrier i say for Apple Stores, i love going to them

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
PlaceofDis said:
too bad for the resellers, but who knows....

im a little surprised about the Northbrook, IL one though, that makes what four in the chicagoland area? Michigan Ave, Woodfield, Old Orchard...& now Northbrook, i might be missing one as well.....well the more the merrier i say for Apple Stores, i love going to them
Dont forget Oakbrook too.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
jet3004 said:
Wa Wa Waaaaaaaa...

That is a horrible excuse.
It's well known that Apple craps on resellers... from not giving them new products on time or enough, to not giving them price breaks when Apple drops hardware prices.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Hector said:
if they were good stores they would stay in business, i know an particularly evil apple store near me that closed down soon after the london apple store opened, they sold old software at above RRP and they sold old macs that had problems with them at extortionate prices they gave apple a bad name
Who was that then?

They're closed now – slandering them won't hurt...

Go on... dish the dirt. :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Hector said:
Many of you will never understand until your in someone like Tom's shoes or something like that. Now I can understand your complaint, a terrible store in London that sells old stuff and outrageous prices, that is bad. But for a credible store like Tom ran, many of you will never understand although his complaints and letters has everything making sense. I am a personal friend of Tom and I feel for him and his family and I wish him well. I know people will flame me during this whole thread but I could honestly care less cause no one knows the situation better than someone like Tom or in some cases myself.

jon

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Most resellers deserve to be closed

Most of the Apple resellers that I've dealt with have been a pain in the :eek: !

Seriously, every time I hear about Apple resellers closing and pointing the finger at Apple, I just want to ask them, "Well, what did you do exactly to justify your existence? You're sure it wasn't your own @#$%&* fault?"

Where I live, we had an Apple reseller that was just dreadful and they closed down a couple years ago. I wasn't sad to see them leave. The service was a joke. The sales staff was inattentive and barely knowledgeable. They catered to local Mac-using businesses with big purchase orders and treated walk-in customers as a mild irritation. A year before they closed, they brought in PCs and Windows software and pushed the Macs into the back of the store, further alienating the customers they were supposed to be serving.

I wonder how many of these resellers complaining about Apple supposedly killing their business fit this mold.

BTW, we now have a new local business serving Apple customers and they are doing such a fantastic job that they recently opened a second store in a high-traffic area of the city. I don't hear them complaining about Apple but then, even if an Apple store moved into town, I'd probably still do most of my business with the local guys. The service is that good.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Macrumors said:
Appleinsider lists Oklahoma City, OK, Arlington, VA, Paramus NJ, Northbrook, IL, and Orlando, FL as new locations based on job listings at Apple.
Hmmmm... the Washington, DC metro area already has stores in Tyson's Corner (the first Apple Store), Clarendon, Montgomery Mall, and Bethesda (mini store)...

Do we really need this new one in Arlington (Pentagon City)?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for expansion (and Tysons always has a lot of customers when I stop by), but adding a new store in a market with four already when so many places have none at all? Odd.

I know tons of Mac-interested people in the Roanoke, VA area who can't justify going all the way to DC or Richmond to experience/buy Apple products, and nobody else in the area carries them. Those are the kinds of places Apple should go now, since the major markets are largely covered.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
wdlove said:
A loss of a business and jobs is always sad. I think that a problem for resellers is that they can't afford to have the large quantity of inventory that Apple carries. In some cases the expertise isn't as good. They also tend to not have the latest products.
wd, did you read the TS link? Both complained Apple shipped them products well after the Apple Stores had them and sold them. No mention of not being able to afford inventory, quite the contrary, Apple wouldn't supply them with any.

Apple is not playing fair with their resellers, plain and simple. They should either support them or tell them they won't and let them close up or transition their businesses.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
ZildjianKX said:
It's well known that Apple craps on resellers... from not giving them new products on time or enough, to not giving them price breaks when Apple drops hardware prices.
Really? It's well-known, is it? And where do we get that information? From unbiased sources or from resellers themselves? Hmmm...

Apple isn't in the business of giving resellers price breaks or making life easy for them. Anyone going into that line of work with that belief is in for a big surprise. Resellers must make their business worthwhile to customers by offering excellent service and a shopping experience that makes people ignore any supposed disadvantages. Services ranks very high on the list of customer expectations. What has driven me away from most Apple resellers is not prices or inventory shortcomings, but inattentive service and a sense that the people at a given business just don't give a rip about what I'm there for.

Yes, there are exceptions, but a majority of what I've dealt with tells me that this is typical amongst Apple resellers. If Apple can do a better job and they are putting resellers out of business because of it, then I have no sympathy. If the need wasn't there, Apple wouldn't be rushing in to fill it.

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Apple makes it so that resellers cannot sell at the same price or below what apple does. So Apple makes it silly for anyone to buy from a reseller since they can get it cheaper directly from Apple. Apple also makes sure that the resellers dont get products on time, etc etc.

To be honest, I'm convince Apple doesnt want resellers anymore and would rather just do all the selling themselves to have a stronger monopoly on their market.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
OKC will be a good one. they're putting it in Penn Square Mall, one of the busier malls (for its size, which isn't huge but pretty big) in America.

That's funny, Penn Square has a waiting list of stores that's years long. Looks like they let Apple side-step that one. I hope it's big. the one in Austin is puny as hell, lol.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
joshua_msu said:
Dont forget Oakbrook too.
ahhh i knew i was forgetting one, so that makes five around here then! i never go out to Oakbrook, probably why i forgot it, :eek:

i think i will be visiting the Michigan Ave. store next weekend, what a fun trip!

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
rdowns said:
Apple is not playing fair with their resellers, plain and simple. They should either support them or tell them they won't and let them close up or transition their businesses.
Strange. I hear these complaints about Apple not shipping products to resellers in a timely manner, but our local Apple reseller always has plenty of inventory on the shelves. You're sure there's not more to this? Sounds to me that some of these resellers might not be forthcoming in all the details.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
DeusOmnis said:
Apple makes it so that resellers cannot sell at the same price or below what apple does. So Apple makes it silly for anyone to buy from a reseller since they can get it cheaper directly from Apple. Apple also makes sure that the resellers dont get products on time, etc etc.
What gives you the idea that resellers are in business to sell cheaper products than Apple? When in Apple's history have they offered lower prices to resellers? Why would anyone open an Apple store thinking that? Resellers should focus on service, not prices. Most people will pay a little more for good service. That's what resellers should focus on and most of them do not.

DeusOmnis said:
To be honest, I'm convince Apple doesnt want resellers anymore and would rather just do all the selling themselves to have a stronger monopoly on their market.
If that's true, do you think it's Apple just being greedy or do you think it's Apple finally getting fed up with the way their products have been presented to the public for so long with such lousy service? I suspect it's the latter. Think about the disputes they've had with Best Buy and Circuit City and Sears. It's not greed but a simple desire to present their products properly and with good service. More power to 'em.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Victims of circumstance

Oh, well. That's the way it goes in business. No one has a "right" to a certain business. They want to make money selling Apple products, that's great, but circumstances are making that a diffecult business decision. These guys are all bent out of shape and blaming Apple, but it really isn't Apple's fault. The reason they can't get product is because there isn't ANY!!!!!! Apple can't make their products fast enough. They are literally exploding on the scene and market demand is extremely high. Of course Apple is going to favor their stores, they must, it is only good business sense. They are trying to expose the general public to their products in a very hands on way and these Apple Stores are crucial to their continued success. But how many Apple stores are out of product? And then people leave mad and upset, but it's just plain old supply and demand; huge demand low supply. Apple resellers are victims of Apple's success; they want a piece of the pie but there is only so much pie to go around. I am sure if Apple had the products they would love to get them out to resellers, but they don't. They need to stock their ever increasing store presence first because this is more important for Apple's continued growth and exposure. If selling Apple hardware is your only business, well, right now that's not really a good business to be in. The small guys will die off and the larger resellers will pick up the slack; that's the way it works in the real world.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
While I love the Apple stores its a shame a lot of the old time shops are going under mostly because of Apple and some of its business practices. The mom's and pop's cannot compete with Apple and the internet! :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
inkswamp said:
Strange. I hear these complaints about Apple not shipping products to resellers in a timely manner, but our local Apple reseller always has plenty of inventory on the shelves. You're sure there's not more to this? Sounds to me that some of these resellers might not be forthcoming in all the details.
I'm sure that's the problem on both sides. Retailers and Apple are looking out for their own best interest. That's why the Think Secret article may not have all the facts.