Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning new retail stores in the Los Angeles, Toronto, and Atlanta metropolitan areas, according to building permits viewed by MacRumors.

Apple-Store-Waterside-Shops.jpeg
Apple Waterside Shops in Naples, Florida

Apple is preparing to open a new store at the Del Amo Fashion Center shopping mall in Torrance, California, per building permits filed with the city in October. Torrance is located in the South Bay region of Los Angeles County.

The permits reveal that Apple will be located on the main level of the mall, between Lululemon and Madewell. The store will be taking over the combined space of two side-by-side units previously occupied by J.Crew and Chico's.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was first to report on Apple's plans for the store in June, after obtaining the company's internal roadmap for retail expansion. Apple estimated that the store would open in March 2024, per the roadmap, but this timeframe is subject to change based on completion of construction, hiring, and other factors.

Apple is also moving forward with plans to relocate its store at the Square One shopping mall in Mississauga, Ontario, west of Toronto in Canada. Apple will be taking over a space previously occupied by Massimo Dutti on the second floor of the mall, above the food court, according to a building permit filed with the city in June.

Last, a building permit filed with Gwinnett County in May confirms that Apple plans to relocate its store at the Mall of Georgia in Buford, northeast of Atlanta. The new store will remain in the mall, but the permit did not reveal a specific location.

Apple estimated that the new Square One and Mall of Georgia stores would open in late 2023, based on the roadmap, but the projects are taking longer.

Earlier this month, Apple confirmed that it will be permanently closing its Infinite Loop store in Cupertino, California on January 20. Apple will also be shuttering its Royal Hawaiian store in Honolulu on the same day. Apple said all affected employees at both locations will be given the opportunity to continue working for the company.

Article Link: New Apple Stores Planned Near Los Angeles, Toronto, and Atlanta

Reactions: jooish

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Mall of Georgia store is pretty old/run down looking as well as narrow and cramped, so this will give them a chance to freshen that up considerably and get more space in the process. Coming from Athens that is my closest store, but we've been going to Avalon on the rare occasion we need to be in a store just because it's an overall better experience.

Reactions: splifingate

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I’ve been an Apple user since 2001 and yet I’ve never been to an Apple store. I used to live in Mississauga until 2009, but at that time there was no Apple store there yet. There is an Apple store in Ottawa, about an hour or so drive from where I now live, but I’ve never been there either.

Reactions: AppleTO and .wojtek

jooish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Palos Verdes, CA
Finally! The Del Amo is a great location for a new Apple Store. It's also way better of a mall than Manhattan Village. This will ease some of the pressure off the yearly iPhone lines. South Bay will be happy to see this addition.

Del Amo also has a decent amount of EV charging, too, for those of us that like to get their steps in while charging.

Edit: I take it back. While I'd like an Apple Store closer to my house, that area is proving to be dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: easy4lif

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I’ve been an Apple user since 2001 and yet I’ve never been to an Apple store. I used to live in Mississauga until 2009, but at that time there was no Apple store there yet. There is an Apple store in Ottawa, about an hour or so drive from where I now live, but I’ve never been there either.
Does this mean you plan to stay away no matter where they are ?

OS-SEX

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
There are no Apple stores in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador. I know this isn't a huge population area but I would think a location in the Avalon Mall in St. John's would be very much welcomed.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Does this mean you plan to stay away no matter where they are ?
YES!! 😆

While I am curious I’ve just never had occasion to go out of my way to go to an Apple store. I used to live near Square One in Mississauga, and if an Apple store had been there back then I would have visited when going to Square One for whatever reason. I might do the same thing if I were to go to Ottawa for some reason, but I have no pressing need to go to Ottawa for any reason.

Most of the major Apple products make it to where I work anyway so there is really no need for me to go to an Apple store to see them. At work we have an Apple table where all the iPads, MacBooks, iMac, Studio Display are displayed. We have another display for the iPhones, Apple Watches and AirPods. So no need to go out of my way.

Interestingly we actually pull a decent amount of business from the Ottawa store. Not only are we closer for a lot of people, but a common complaint seems to be the staff there often speak in too technical terms for many to easily understand—they feel like they’re being talked down do. The people posting on sites like MacRumors are a tiny minority of Apple’s consumer base, most of which are not tech oriented. They want to talk to someone they can understand.

I often approach customers with the mindset I’m mostly selling benefit rather than tech and hardware and relate things to them in terms they can easily understand.

Last edited:

unWoke_inLA

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2023
Finally! The Del Amo is a great location for a new Apple Store. It's also way better of a mall than Manhattan Village. This will ease some of the pressure off the yearly iPhone lines. South Bay will be happy to see this addition.

Del Amo also has a decent amount of EV charging, too, for those of us that like to get their steps in while charging.

LOL! Del Amo is a terrible choice as it is full of thug kids every afternoon. Expect daily robberies. Manhattan village is a great location I don't know what you are talking about bro.

unWoke_inLA

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2023
It's no longer a great store and everything went downhill when they got rid of the counter and genuis bar.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
From the perspective of creating a kickass retail environment, Apple Cherry Creek (Denver) is one of the best I've experienced.

While they had been in that mall since Nov. '02, in Feb. '21, they moved to the other end of the mall. Amongst many other topics, I'm also a retail design nerd. I've gone to that store several times, just to stand in the space. For those nerdy about such things, and happen to find themself in Denver, it's worth a trip to a super boogie/annoying mall.

newton4000

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I've been to Apple Stores in many world capitals and major cities [more than a hundred], and for its size and importance, the situation in Toronto is truly the saddest - with only very crowded mall-based stores and no character whatsoever. Mississauga is labelled here as part of Toronto, but it's a small city (700k) that is nearby and is not Toronto, but the Greater Toronto Area. And also another mall-based store - yawn.
Hopefully, the store at The One will go through.

• Haha
Reactions: jacobgkau

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
You aren't missing anything, I hated the experience the one time I was in one. Too chaotic.
I have some [isolated] memories of being in excessively busy Apple Stores over the years, but I would never describe the experience as chaotic. I would describe it more like boarding an airplane for full flight at a major airport during a holiday. The procedures and processes have evolved over the years, but are very rigid.

Last edited:

jooish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Palos Verdes, CA
LOL! Del Amo is a terrible choice as it is full of thug kids every afternoon. Expect daily robberies. Manhattan village is a great location I don't know what you are talking about bro.
I agree with you that there's a lot of ...uhh... riff raff ...in that area, but it's also close to Rolling Hills and Palos Verdes... which are nice communities and they (speaking for myself here) would appreciate a lesser commute to an Apple Store.

Reactions: Violent_Noir

hughmass

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Eugene Oregon

Apple is planning new retail stores in the Los Angeles, Toronto, and Atlanta metropolitan areas, according to building permits viewed by MacRumors.

Apple-Store-Waterside-Shops.jpeg

Apple Waterside Shops in Naples, Florida

Apple is preparing to open a new store at the Del Amo Fashion Center shopping mall in Torrance, California, per building permits filed with the city in October. Torrance is located in the South Bay region of Los Angeles County.

The permits reveal that Apple will be located on the main level of the mall, between Lululemon and Madewell. The store will be taking over the combined space of two side-by-side units previously occupied by J.Crew and Chico's.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was first to report on Apple's plans for the store in June, after obtaining the company's internal roadmap for retail expansion. Apple estimated that the store would open in March 2024, per the roadmap, but this timeframe is subject to change based on completion of construction, hiring, and other factors.

Apple is also moving forward with plans to relocate its store at the Square One shopping mall in Mississauga, Ontario, west of Toronto in Canada. Apple will be taking over a space previously occupied by Massimo Dutti on the second floor of the mall, above the food court, according to a building permit filed with the city in June.

Last, a building permit filed with Gwinnett County in May confirms that Apple plans to relocate its store at the Mall of Georgia in Buford, northeast of Atlanta. The new store will remain in the mall, but the permit did not reveal a specific location.

Apple estimated that the new Square One and Mall of Georgia stores would open in late 2023, based on the roadmap, but the projects are taking longer.

Earlier this month, Apple confirmed that it will be permanently closing its Infinite Loop store in Cupertino, California on January 20. Apple will also be shuttering its Royal Hawaiian store in Honolulu on the same day. Apple said all affected employees at both locations will be given the opportunity to continue working for the company.

Article Link: New Apple Stores Planned Near Los Angeles, Toronto, and Atlanta
Still, Apple has no store in Eugene Oregon, home to the University of Oregon, and the third largest city in Oregon, when combined with Springfield, just across the river. Wish that would change.

• Haha
Reactions: westcoastcyc

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Still, Apple has no store in Eugene Oregon, home to the University of Oregon, and the third largest city in Oregon, when combined with Springfield, just across the river. Wish that would change.
Even so there is no Apple Store, close by Springfield does have a Best Buy store that is an Apple Authorized service provider/retailer. University of Oregon (Duckstore) does sell Apple Computers to faculty/students/parents/homeschool educators, like all other Educational stores. see https://www.apple.com/us_edu_381254/store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.