Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I’m not going to keep my OLED in DV/HDR mode, it makes everything too bright. Do we think that YouTube will ever support match dynamic range? I love the new remote and the system seems like it runs slightly quicker but that’s kind of annoying that YouTube still doesn’t auto trigger.
So the new Apple TV 4K and updated YouTube app doesn’t support hdr? Leaving the Apple TV in hdr/dolby vision all the time can cause burn in on oled. It happened to me but LG did a 1 time replacement. I’d rather it be auto like the rest of the apps.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
So the new Apple TV 4K and updated YouTube app doesn’t support hdr? Leaving the Apple TV in hdr/dolby vision all the time can cause burn in on oled. It happened to me but LG did a 1 time replacement. I’d rather it be auto like the rest of the apps.
That’s what I’m reading here, that it doesn’t support the match dynamic range. I would never use HDR/DV full time, it would ruin this tv. I tend to use the tv apps more anyway. I just wish YouTube would get on board

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I got mine setup and coming from the built in Android TV watching the handmaids tale on Hulu seems to look much better. I noticed immediately, and I usually dont notice unless it's a big jump. Could have just been that scene though

slowanimal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2016
Jumping in to add a bit to the convo. I have mine currently set to HDR 60hz since I'm using a LG CX. Some apps such as netflix and funimation change to SDR depending on the content, while apps like youtube and crunchyroll stay at whatever you have it set on.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
That’s what I’m reading here, that it doesn’t support the match dynamic range. I would never use HDR/DV full time, it would ruin this tv. I tend to use the tv apps more anyway. I just wish YouTube would get on board
Yup I agree. The 4K 60 works at least but the headlines say 4K 60 hdr which is not the case. Setting the Apple TV to full time hdr doesn’t count.

b348xyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Unfortunately, google and Apple don’t get along.. so it depends on google updating app to support HDR via content match.

slowanimal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2016
Yeah this is a bummer as I hoped this atv will make everything super convenient on my oled. Sucks not being able to set the menu to HDR and utilize its features the way that it makes it sound it would. Oh well, having it set to 4k SDR isn't bad, just not the ideal way to use youtube for certain content.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I just put my ATV in HDR mode and when I play Costa Rica or HDR jazz and look at the quality it does not say HDR. Im starting to wonder if YouTube for the new 4k ATV even supports HDR at all?

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I just double tap the edges to left and right and noticed that youtube skips the normal 10 seconds at a time. No problems here

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
Soooo the vibe I’m getting is, if I have an LG CX oled, YouTube experience will be WORSE with new ATV vs my built in YouTube app? All this hassle with 4k HDR on YouTube. What about everything else on new ATV? Other apps will support dynamic range automatic switching? Like Netflix. Is it only an issue with YouTube app on ATV?

b348xyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Disney, Prime, Netflix all automatically switch with content and frame match.

just the YouTube app has the issue. But realistically how often do you watch YouTube with HDR content.. even the top YouTube channel don’t upload in HDR.. and half channel still use 24fps !.. would think more channel with upload in 4K 60fps these days..

40d, channel 5, ITV only stream in 1080p and don’t switch when playing but look same as LG apps as them services only stream in 1080p anyway and don’t support HDR on there services. Don’t know about BBC as won’t watch that.

personally after using my LG TV webos for 4 years.. the new Apple TV give everything the same apart from YouTube HDR.

but the speed and ease of use with new Apple TV is amazing ! So for me finally the Apple TV is a worthy upgrade over the LG Webos. Only reason previously I never had Apple TV is 80% content i watch is on YouTube and needed the 4K 60fps support which it now finally has..

lets just hope google at some point upgrades the YouTube app to support content switching !

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Where did you find out this? I've read conflicting things about whether I should have the ATV in SDR or Dolby Vision / HDR by default?
My eyeballs tell me to leave it in DV or HDR as opposed to SDR. Matching is on. The content on Netflix, HBO, YouTube, and the rest seems the same. Where I see an incredible difference is Apple’s own aerial screensavers. If you leave it in SDR, it’s like you’re viewing the screensaver through cheap sunglasses. DV or HDR makes the colors pop in a delightful way.

This runs counter to every article from experts I’ve read but we have the screensavers on a lot with music and I’d just prefer to enjoy what the TV can do.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
Disney, Prime, Netflix all automatically switch with content and frame match.

just the YouTube app has the issue. But realistically how often do you watch YouTube with HDR content.. even the top YouTube channel don’t upload in HDR.. and half channel still use 24fps !.. would think more channel with upload in 4K 60fps these days..

40d, channel 5, ITV only stream in 1080p and don’t switch when playing but look same as LG apps as them services only stream in 1080p anyway and don’t support HDR on there services. Don’t know about BBC as won’t watch that.

personally after using my LG TV webos for 4 years.. the new Apple TV give everything the same apart from YouTube HDR.

but the speed and ease of use with new Apple TV is amazing ! So for me finally the Apple TV is a worthy upgrade over the LG Webos. Only reason previously I never had Apple TV is 80% content i watch is on YouTube and needed the 4K 60fps support which it now finally has..

lets just hope google at some point upgrades the YouTube app to support content switching !
Ohhhh. That’s better then. for some reason I was under the impression that 4K60fps was an issue as well (I watch a lot of 4K60 channels but couldn’t on previous Apple TV because it didn’t support 4K 60 fps YouTube so I went back to LG webos). So ur saying the only issue is YouTube HDR? Youtube 4K 60 FPS (not HDR) actually works fine on new Apple TV? No weird settings I have to switch in my LG?

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
what HUD app are you using to display the streaming data? Thanks
Yes but some people say you manually have to switch your TV mode just to watch YouTube 4k60 hdr. It doesn’t work automatically. sounds like a pain. But then again i dont really watch YouTube HDR often at all, just once in a blue moon when i have friends over and want to show off my LG CX for 5 minutes then its back to other content lmao

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
So 4k60fps works on new ATV? We are only talking about HDR here on YouTube? Just making sure before i buy, i dont care about HDR on YouTube but 4K 60 fps standard def would be important

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Given that Apple finally caved and we can get 4K YouTube in Safari on macOS and iOS, I’d be surprised if the  TV 4K did not follow.

Nettle picker

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2014
Did anyone else notice subtle YouTube lags for non-4K-60FPS videos (on new 2021 Apple TV 4K)? 4k/60FPS is amazing, no lags whatsoever. However when I watch 1080 (and presumably not 60FPS) there are very subtle, fraction-of-a-second lags. My TV is LG 49SM86 and its webOS YouTube app does not have such issue.

I've enabled Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate, maybe it helped a little bit but the lags are still noticable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.