Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
It how do you explain my previous ATV which is 2021 4K using the same model remote on the same Samsung TV for a year and it never lost connection to the remote. I was thinking maybe a different Bluetooth version in the newer model could be the cause.
It’s definitely some sort of weird bug caused by other remotes (TV, iPhone, console…) I can’t reproduce. But it also didn’t happen to me again since the last update of TV OS. 🤷🏼

leitzcam

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2022
I had hoped the last update fixed the issue, but it did NOT. I have two 2022 Apple TV 4K 128GB, and it is happening to both of them. At first I thought it was a complete remote disconnect, but as others have discovered, it works if you get the remote really close to the Apple TV, and then ONLY a reboot resolves the issue.

Last night I was watching a movie on a streaming service, and in the middle of it, I got the "Remote Disconnected" message, and after that it would not work unless it was less than a foot away from the Apple TV. This was the first time that I actually witnessed it happening while using it. All the other times were when I went to use the Apple TV, and it wouldn't respond (no signal on TV), until I figured out that you had to get the remote really close to it.

Not sure if I should return and swap them out as some people are reporting no problems after the last firmware update. I've had every generation of Apple TV, and never had an issue like this. I think it might be a design/hardware issue since these new designs no longer have the fan, and are a smaller form factor. Maybe an overheating issue?

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
This is happening to me now for the first time ever with tvOS 16.2... on an original Apple TV 4K (2017), and an original Siri Remote. The Remote will simply stop working (no disconnection message), and only repairing it with the Apple TV will bring it back to life... for a few days. Then it will happen again.

So maybe the firmware is also at fault.

hj8ag

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I had hoped the last update fixed the issue, but it did NOT. I have two 2022 Apple TV 4K 128GB, and it is happening to both of them. At first I thought it was a complete remote disconnect, but as others have discovered, it works if you get the remote really close to the Apple TV, and then ONLY a reboot resolves the issue.

Last night I was watching a movie on a streaming service, and in the middle of it, I got the "Remote Disconnected" message, and after that it would not work unless it was less than a foot away from the Apple TV. This was the first time that I actually witnessed it happening while using it. All the other times were when I went to use the Apple TV, and it wouldn't respond (no signal on TV), until I figured out that you had to get the remote really close to it.

Not sure if I should return and swap them out as some people are reporting no problems after the last firmware update. I've had every generation of Apple TV, and never had an issue like this. I think it might be a design/hardware issue since these new designs no longer have the fan, and are a smaller form factor. Maybe an overheating issue?
It’s def not the ATV itself, it’s something to do with the remote. The ATV unit still responds to the old remote and your iPhone if you use that as a remote…

AndreGB

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Well, I was just explaining why Samsung's remote and Siri Remote worked differently on your ATV box. The reason why your 2021 ATV doesn't lose connection is maybe because it uses a different kext on the OS because it comes with a different processor. Maybe.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
This is happening to me now for the first time ever with tvOS 16.2... on an original Apple TV 4K (2017), and an original Siri Remote. The Remote will simply stop working (no disconnection message), and only repairing it with the Apple TV will bring it back to life... for a few days. Then it will happen again.

So maybe the firmware is also at fault.
Make sure to report this to Apple

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Happening to me as well for the first time ever. I’m also on the latest Apple TV 4K with Siri remote, and yes the remote is charged. Just re-sync’s it for the third time in three days, and it was at 70% charge.

Came here to see if others had the issue and wow, I guess I’m not alone! Reporting to apple at the apple.com/feedback page now…

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
I've noticed when it occurs, if I walk really close to the Apple TV and point the remote right at it, it usually works.

But anyway, when this issue occurs use your iPhone remote function to restart the Apple TV. You shouldn't need to unpair/repair the remote at all - a reboot should fix it and is usually faster.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
My 2022 ATV is the most defective Apple device I have owned. I have the remote issue as well. On top of that I have the blackouts that many report wit some Apps such a youtube TV and Amazon Prime. Additionally the ethernet port is capping at 100 MBS vs the 1 GB that the 2021 model clearly works at with the same exact cable and location. I just removed it and went back to my 2021 ATV with no issues, I am picking a replacement 2022 from the Genius Bar this weekend, but have no hopes that the device will work flawlessly. Cost cutting is reflected in this crappy iteration. If you have a 2021 no reason to update to a 2022

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
I’m on 3 rd Apple TV since November. The remote lost connection again last night . Had to unplug the atv and it’s working for now . Not sure it’s even worth exchanging again. Not sure if it’s hardware or software.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Those that have contacted Apple Support, what are they saying? Known issue?
I had 3 calls and they act surprised. Like they never heard of the issue. I spoke with 3 techs - they want to erase, resend, etc. They know they either have a software or hardware defect. Took a lot of effort and wasted time to get them to replace my unit. Have not even connected the replacement - the 2021 model and a ROKU on another TV work just fine

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I didn’t experience the issue since the last TV OS update. No idea if it’s this or if I’m just lucky 🤷🏼

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
Just adding my voice to this but I'm having the same issue. I just sent mine back to Amazon. Nothing I did fixed the damn thing. The hilarious thing is the remote refused to work less than 1-2 meters away from the Apple TV but I could stand outside the room and it worked fine for adjusting my TV volume. Tried every possible troubleshooting step I could but the device refused to hold a connection to the remote or my xbox controller. Worked fine to control from my phone though. If the entire series of new Apple TVs is like this well... fml. Guess I'll be waiting some time to buy one.

There's constant threads about this with the new ATV on reddit too. Hopefully Apple addresses it. Worried at this point it's a hardware issue and not a software one, in which case we all know Apple will takes weeks or years to even acknowledge it

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I had 3 calls and they act surprised. Like they never heard of the issue. I spoke with 3 techs - they want to erase, resend, etc. They know they either have a software or hardware defect. Took a lot of effort and wasted time to get them to replace my unit. Have not even connected the replacement - the 2021 model and a ROKU on another TV work just fine
Did they replace the Apple TV itself AND remote? I'm really curious if the issue is with the remote, unit, or both...

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I have the 2021 ATV4K and in the last couple of weeks the remote has suddenly stopped adjusting the volume on my TV. When I push the volume buttons I see the ATV box light blink with each button click but the volume does not change. All the other functions on the remote work. Rebooting the remote fixes the volume issue.

Reactions: iwan073

FatherOfDragon

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
For what it's worth, I moved my Apple TV so its got line of sight to the remote and I haven't had a disconnect in more than a couple of weeks.

Joys.trial

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
I also noticed that when the disconnect happens, moving the remote to within a couple of feet causes it to reconnect. Move back and the remote disconnects again. It is as if the remote range has been reduced to a very short distance. Restarting the Apple TV from the settings menu always resolves it though.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
It’s happened to me a couple of times and the usual tricks did the job to fix it. However, yesterday nothing worked. I had to remove the remote from the settings using my iPhone as a remote and then restarted the remote (haven’t had to do that before and didn’t even know how to without using the Support app) and then it’s back to normal now. I’m absolutely not going thru the hassle of replacing it because I hate dealing with the Apple Store lately.

Reactions: iwan073
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.