New Apple TV at Coming?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by justinthesommer, Apr 27, 2014.

1. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

When do you think the new Apple TV set will come out?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

If looking at any of the other numerous threads about this are any indication I would say sometime in the future.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What features are you looking for that the current model doesn't have? The current model does everything I want right now, but, in the future, I will be looking for 4K (or, 3840x2160) at 60 fps.

4. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Stop posting the same GD thread every week people! Either use an existing one for speculation or wait until it's announced.

5. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Well, what might they add?

1. 4K = new hardware

If so, it'll need a fast chip. They could use the A7 and release it at any time, but they'll probably want to use the new A8, but I doubt they'll ship the ATV with an A8 before they have a new iPhone/iPad using the chip. In that case, after the new iPhone/iPads are released/announced, so September/October.

2. New remote/networking/possible gaming solution = new hardware

802.11ac Wi-Fi is a given, perhaps 1Gbit ethernet as well. They've been adding Bluetooth 4.0 into every new device, so it's safe to say that they'll add it to the ATV as well, and probably use it for a new type of remote (with a mic for Siri?) and get rid of that awful IR thing.

3. App Store/games = software

They probably have a lot to say about something like this to developers, so they'll want to announce it at WWDC in June and ship the new ATV it right away or soon after.

4. Content deals (US-only*) = software

They might want to wait with an update when they actually have some new content deals, but no way of knowing how far along those negotiations are.

* and "coming soon" in other countries, meaning: "ha, fooled you! maybe in 5 years if you're lucky"

5. New UI/UX = software

The huge amount of apps and no proper way to navigate/manage it is getting kind of silly, and it's expected that a new UI and experience will be part of the update. This will ship along with the rest, so it'll depend on the other factors.

6. Magic revolutionary fantastic things

:confused:

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

I would add:

7. New remote control: Bluetooth instead of infrared, headphones jack (like Roku), microphone for Siri

8. Larger flash storage: 8GB probably won't be enough to accommodate App Store

9. Direct 3D support, with ability to downconvert 3D into 2D

10. Internet-less operation: Ad-Hoc WiFi AirPlay mirroring with iOS devices

7. betman macrumors regular

The current model is having trouble running 1080 at 60Hz after recent firmware "updates" which seem to have backfired...

----------

The current remote is terrible to use. I don't mind it being infrared, but they need to change the buttons/layout to make it usable.

As for 3D, that is definitely missing, especially right now with the likes of Gravity out on Blu-Ray 3D.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The current remote is not great, but, I like the crisp way the buttons work, compared to the usual squishy remote buttons. You can easily run off five clicks quickly, something that is impossible with most remote buttons.

9. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/02/recode-wwdc

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

As a user of an IR universal remote control...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

11. betman macrumors regular

My only qualms are with the directional buttons. It's too easy to press the select button instead, so you end up having to press the left/right/up/down buttons on their outer edges just to be safe. A bit annoying, but nothing that I'm losing sleep over... :)

12. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

UI Needs an update, TV Shows with Multiple Seasons need to be nested. I wish It had the ability to DL Info from TVDB

13. OsloBergen macrumors member

As stupid as it might seem I would really like .ite file support in the next iteration.

14. justinthesommer thread starter macrumors regular

justinthesommer

Good ideas!

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well here's my bitcoin. (If that confused you watch this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CO10hBx1si0)
    I think it would be a super awesome to have apple announce it at WWDC and release it in September. That way developers can make apps for it. I just hope like hell this Apple TV has apps.
    Or I think apple will realse it in October with or with out app capabilities. Again I just want this Apple TV to have an App Store.

16. Yvan256 macrumors 601

You do know that Direct 3D is a Microsoft-only technology, right? :confused:

17. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

I would add that I really hope the new ATV supports H.265/HEVC and that apple re-encodes the existing iTunes store in the new format. I don't want them to reduce the bit-rates in any way but increase the video quality. I love iTunes but the quality is really starting to look poor (esp the 1080p versions) in the face of tough competition from netflix and UV.

18. Yvan256 macrumors 601

I would also like to see a new Apple TV with H.265 support, but for the opposite reason: I'd like to keep the same quality (SD) at a lower bitrate.

Monthly caps from most Canadian ISPs really are that low. Mine's 35GB upload+download. :mad:

Netflix even had to offer a 3rd, lower-quality setting for us, and I'm glad they did. On a 23" display I can only see artifacts in very fast moving scenes or when there's nature scenes (water, trees, snow, etc), so with H.265 I'm guessing I could get a bit better quality at a lower bitrate.

19. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Yeah that is another option - I suspect that Apple will go for a balanced option. Reduce the bit rate slightly and increase the quality slightly. Glad I live in the UK where unlimited downloads are common and not significantly more expensive.

20. DuffMac macrumors newbie

App store is a must along with a hardrive.

It will open a whole new world for Apple TV.

21. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Tuesday

22. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

This is a must and irritates me greatly it has not been done yet.

23. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

At 5PM eastern.Line up now!

24. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Maybe they're waiting to release everything that uses the new A8 at once because it will be the first Apple chip to add H.265 hardware decode support?

25. mic j macrumors 68030

And maybe it won't happen at all. We went through this whole new aTV anticipation thing last year...and the year before. And nothing ever materialized. It will happen if/when it will happen. In the mean time, just enjoy the current product.