Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wodster

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
the 24 hour limit for movies is ridiculous. My wife often falls asleep during a movie and sometimes it takes us over 24 hours before she can finish it. You should be able to keep it for 48 - 36 hrs

Yes! I have my AppleTV in the exercise room, and like to watch movies with headphones on the treadmill, and watch about 45 minutes or so at a time.

What really pissed me off the other day was that not only did I give in and pay TWICE to see the end of a movie I hadn't finished-

The movie downloads start from the beginning, and progress from there, so though it said "Ready for viewing" in a few minutes, at the end of my 45 minute exercise, the download NEVER even got to the second half!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Netflix streaming. Anytime whenever I want.

Yes, I know the selection is limited.

And I do think the Apple policy stinks, but I have rented dozens of films and never lost one due to the tiome limit. My FIOS rentals are even more restrictive, so AppleTV is not so bad.

I just wish the movie studios would allow a Netflix like subscrition for all their catalog over AppleTV and iTunes. That would be worth paying for.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Netflix streaming. Anytime whenever I want.

Yes, I know the selection is limited.

And I do think the Apple policy stinks, but I have rented dozens of films and never lost one due to the tiome limit. My FIOS rentals are even more restrictive, so AppleTV is not so bad.

I just wish the movie studios would allow a Netflix like subscrition for all their catalog over AppleTV and iTunes. That would be worth paying for.

Not trying to be an Apple shill here, but would everyone please quit referring to this as an "Apple policy"? This is a policy that the studios insist on. If you would look into it you would find that all commercial movie download sites, such as Amazon, Vudu, etc. are subject to the same restrictions. It's the studios that are doing this. They need to feel the wrath.

As many have already stated here, it makes sense for them to allow unlimited viewing for a longer period of time, because we all have busy lifestyles or other factors that make the 24 hour period impractical. But they don't care. They just want their money. They're just too stupid to realize how much money they leave on the table from people who would rent otherwise but for their greedy policies. Not to mention the piracy they encourage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.