Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
MI
Can't figure out what the issue might be. My new AppleTV2 will not send the video signal unless I re-boot it while keeping the TV & the HDMI switch on.

Once I do something to break the signal, that is, switch to another source (DVR, Blu-Ray), then back to the AppleTV, or turn the TV & HDMI switch off, then on, video is lost and will not return unless I re-boot the appleTV again (by pressing menu & down for more than 6 sec).

I am using an HDMI switch from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2

The switch works great with my DireTV HD DVR and my Blue Ray player. It also does not have any issues with the Amazon-on-demand included as part of the blu-ray player.
Anyone facing similar issues? Could the AppleTV be defective?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I've seen the same behavior on my gen 1 :apple:tv. After the last update, it seems to find the connection by itself, if I just wait for a short time (maybe ten sec.). I haven't needed to reboot to correct the problem since the last update.

If you can reroute its HDMI directly to the tv (and maybe move something else to your switch), it might solve the problem. On my setup, my Pan Blu-ray player wouldn't work properly through my switch and had to go direct to the tv - putting the :apple:tv on the switch (sorta the opposite situation you have).

I'd say you don't have a defective :apple:tv; just a finicky setup. From what research I've done, it's not all that uncommon.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Is it an automatic switch? Most switches say somewhere that they typically do no work with devices that have an "always on output" type thing. I can't think of the correct way to word it, but seeing as how you can't turn ATV off, I'm guessing that is the problem

My switch states this.

-Dale

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
I'm having the same problem except that I have my Apple TV directly connected to my Samsung TV. The Apple TV works fine once I reboot, but as soon as I put it to sleep and walk away, I'm not able to get a signal unless I unplug the power and reboot.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
Same issue but i am directly hdmi to tv. It flickers like the cable is being tampered with. It will be in the midst of a menu screen and lose signal momentarily then come back but sometimes it takes a bit. Any ideas on a fix for this?

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
I have this issue with my Denon receiver where the :apple:TV doesn't send signal even when the front light is on. I have never had to restart it and after no more than a min it seems to finally get going. Though sometimes it wakes from sleep and is fine right out of the gate. I am going to say this is an apple issue because Denon is very well known for not having HDMI issues.

It seems to be that the :apple:TV is having some HDMI handshake issues (This is not uncommon really). It should probably be resolved in a future software update hopefully.

V17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
MI
Is it an automatic switch? Most switches say somewhere that they typically do no work with devices that have an "always on output" type thing. I can't think of the correct way to word it, but seeing as how you can't turn ATV off, I'm guessing that is the problem

My switch states this.

-Dale

No. It is not an automatic switch. I have it programed to change to the proper input as I change sources with my Harmony remote.

V17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
MI
Seems like this issue is happening on just about every scenario. Hopefully Apple will fix with a SW update soon. :rolleyes:

THanks for everyone's input...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
To the people complaining about flickering... did you invest in a decent HDMI or buy it from $2.99 of Amazon. When it comes to HDMI, you DO get what you pay for.

Just my $.02

Dale

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
To the people complaining about flickering... did you invest in a decent HDMI or buy it from $2.99 of Amazon. When it comes to HDMI, you DO get what you pay for.

Just my $.02

Dale

Well.... it's a digital signal. so it will either work or it wont.

http://lifehacker.com/5506219/why-you-should-never-pay-more-than-10-for-hdmi-cables

I have used the same cable for my original apple tv and for a couple other devices with no problem. I plugged it in to this new device and have instantly had problems.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Seems like this issue is happening on just about every scenario. Hopefully Apple will fix with a SW update soon. :rolleyes:

it's unlikely. as pointed out elsewhere it's afflicted the first generation atv since its inception. atv2 would have been an immediate purchase had they fixed this problem.

Just my $.02

no you don't. cables in general and HDMI specifically are one of the biggest scams in modern home theater.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i think its the ATV itself.. i already experienced this twice. the HDMI is direct connected to my samsung.

lets hope for the next firmware upgrade

mrdave79

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
My ATV works fine with my LG tv but I can't get a picture with my Samsung. Maybe there's an issue with Samsung?

dopipod

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008

Just my $.02

Dale

I have always assumed the opposite seeing as it is a digital signal. Do you have any sources or otherwise that back-up your comments that I may not have seen?

dopipod

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Add me to the list, too. My av receiver will not recognize the atv if it has gone to sleep. Pressing "menu" on the remote should ideally send a signal to my receiver to signal its presence but it does not. I must admit to being disappointed with the amount I have to fuss around physically with this thing ( don't get me started on homeshare). It is cheap and promises a lot but so far I am still waiting.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Just my $.02

Dale

It's not the cheap cable, t's the cheap video device (ATV)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
no you don't. cables in general and HDMI specifically are one of the biggest scams in modern home theater.

+1 A cables a cables a cable for most things and most uses. (Yes I know there are exceptions, no need to split hairs since I know someone is dying to comment about speaker wire).

I remember the big Monster cable scam (Monster is a HUGE scam company). When I worked at Circuit City many ages ago they set up demos in our store showing the "monster" difference. Anyway the monster cable tv was wired with component cable, the other tv was wired with composite ( ! ) cable. We were told by Circuit City management not to touch the displays or tell customers the real difference.

Needless to say if you actually put a different brand of component cable on the other display the non-monster brand looked identical and cost $100 less.

y3k

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
I've got bloody expensive (SCAM whatever fetish) cable with gold and diamonds and it still flickers. Any other ideas except cable?

ag227

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
The cables can affect the quality even in a digital signal like for hdmi.. but they wont for general uses.

Keeping it simple, digital signals have a number of finite voltage levels and frequencies. If the noise is enough, which can be created by poor cables then it can go into the next level and be seen as a different signal.

This will not happen for the lengths of cables used for AV equipment generally but it can do with longer cables.

Digital signals can also be remade to the original signal even if it has errors with complex 'check bits' put into the signal.

It is unlikely the quality of cable will affect the picture or sound, but it is possible it could do. If spending 1000s on a TV etc then I advise spending a little more than the £2.99 amazon cables (which i use) but nothing like the monster cables.

My source.. Electrical Engineering degree.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
i have a similar issue - but i find instead of needing to reboot, i just need to fire up the Remote app on the iphone and tap the control screen and then it kicks into action

gwadmin

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Any progress?

Any revelations since the last post?

I have an automatic 'smart' HDMI switch (http://www.amazon.com/Switch-switch-sources-Adapter-included/dp/tech-data/B001VNHPPS/ref=de_a_smtd) that chooses the source with the highest priority; when powered on the switch flips correctly to the ATV, but when the ATV is powered off the switch doesn't recognize it and the only way to flip back to another input is to unplug the ATV HDMI.

I have a PS3 into the same switch, and the switch behaves just fine when the PS3 sleeping, so the switch does correctly recognize when a source isn't active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.