New Apple TV in spring? H.265?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kristoffer4, Jul 10, 2014.

1. kristoffer4, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Since "Apple Sold 2 Million Apple TVs Last Year in US, Trailing Behind Chromecast and Roku" do you think we will finally see a new model this fall? :rolleyes:

Here is my wish list:

App store! ( no brainer! )
    HDMI CEC ( Turn on the TV with Apple TV. Chromecast does it. )
    H.265 decoder for future Netflix
    Better audio
    A7

What do you want?

2. Yvan256 macrumors 601

App Store would be nice, but for the current state of affairs with the media industry, I don't see the need.

HDMI CEC, I had no idea it existed until now, would be a nice addition but not a deal-breaker.

H.265 decoder would be enough for me to upgrade, if Netflix and/or CrunchyRoll starts using it for all their titles.

3. betman macrumors regular

Updates that are actually checked thoroughly to make sure they don't cause more problems than they solve.

As for hardware, some sort of system or interface for storage would be good.

Not sure what else needs changing. A faster processor and handling of new encoding formats, perhaps?

4. HobeSoundDarryl, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    HDMI CEC means only a small handful of set owners would get the benefit you seek. Better option: universal, learning remote. Then all sets and all other AV hardware that use remotes could turn on together. It's an old technology that I've used since well before the first generation :apple:TV. One button turns it all on. Another (one) button can switch the source from watching cable/satt to disc or :apple:TV and adapt all settings of everything accordingly. A single dedicated remote works with everything and passes the non-techie test.

"Better audio" might be more fully defined as adding in the formats typical of Blu Ray, rather than sticking with 1991's Dolby Digital. I'd want :apple:TV4 to at least be fully toe-to-toe with BD in all video and audio quality matters. For video, quality-influencing specs like bitrate should at least match up with what BD can do. If BD is still a "bag of hurt", give us something at least as good if not better.

A7 would matter if it's going to become more than a video player- for example, games. Else, the latest A processors won't play HD any better than older A processors.

What else do I want:
    I'm with betman on wanting the option to attach local storage. Don't build big storage in like first generation (no size chosen by Apple would ever be right)- just make it so that someone can attach whatever amount of storage they want if they want storage.

Make network storage another option. Store our iTunes libraries on a network storage device and have computers, iDevices and :apple:TVs draw from that central storage. This is not the same as "iTunes Servers" though they are a pretty good try in that direction.

Normalize the USB port. Along with the storage options, that would open up third party hardware options. For example, Elgato or similar could bring DVR functionality and local OAR tuners to those that want them. Some want their :apple:TV to also be able to play discs. While Apple may not want to build in a super drive, a normalized USB port could allow a third party to build that on + an app to play them. And so on.

Support popular frame rates other than 30fps. Movies are often 24fps. Some new ones are shot at 48fps. I've owned consumer HD camcorders for many years that can shoot at 60fps. Play all that back at native rather than converting it all to 30fps.

People with "zone 2" receivers (able to play music on a separate set of speakers) typically need an analog stereo signal out of the source. Gen 1 :apple:TV had that but it was killed in support of "thinner" and "smallest". Put an analog out option back in for the zone 2 people. Else, we have to buy an extra part to convert optical audio to analog. I believe the chip- based on an iPad board- already has this ability so this is really about adding a cheap headphone port.

Resurrect terrific software features from the first generation. IMO, it's dumb that our own movie media is not under "Movies", our own TV Show media is not under "TV Shows", etc. "Just works" is at least in part about being intuitive. It is NOT intuitive to have our own movies under "Computers".

Gen 1 allowed the iTunes "Show" tag to group serialized content into a kind of folder. Tag all 2X James Bond movies as "James Bond" and that would show as one line item in the movies list. Click it to display the Bond movies. For bigger movie collections, this was a terrific way to manage what can become a long scroll list. Other iTunes tags would sort the movies on something other than movie name. This could get serialized movie presented in their order without having to resort to naming them so a name sort accomplishes the same.

Gen 1s presentation of TV Shows and their Seasons was far superior to the current version. I can't believe Apple hasn't fixed this already. What a mess!

I still think the final version of the Gen1 UI was the best UI so far.

Lastly, what I'd like most- even more than an app store- would be for Apple to empower a dedicated team to focus on the "hobby" and nothing but the hobby. One of the great advantages of a relatively tiny competitor (Roku) is that they have talent focused on just that. There's all this spin about how hard it is to get media deals done but tiny Roku has far more "channels" than Apple. If Apple would give their box the focus that Roku employs, the sky's the limit. Instead, it feels like Apple is perpetually distracted away from this "hobby" leaving it to somewhat languish while others advance.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Need all the horsepower it can get to decode H.265 the OP wants, which there is no hardware decoder for. It would likely peg out the A7 SOC running in software. Not a huge problem since it's plugged into AC.

Maybe A8 will get a H.265 hardware decoder, but I suspect still too early for that.

----------

I'd like to see a range of products.
    $99 8GB, with a single core A8 w/ hardware H.265 support. App Store.
    Similar to what we have now, geared for streaming content, just refreshed.

$199 32GB+ and scaling up in storage. Dual/Quad A8 geared for gaming and other advanced uses. Obviously also with App Store. Local flash storage for app store games/apps/content.
    USB mass storage support for expanded DVR functionality.

One or both, featuring digital HD over the air tuner.

6. djdirect macrumors newbie

djdirect

Would love a faster processor and the ability to view my movies in something other than 'list mode', without having to add XBMC or Plex. Love the different ways XBMC gives you to view your movies!! A wall mode like Kaleidscape, that adapts to the movie you select would be awesome. Probably would have to license that one.

7. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Cheaper. ATV is falling behind due to cost. An app store would be good to see some fresh content and ideas but that isn't going to arrest the relative sales slide. Unless you have an iPhone/iPad the rationale for an ATV vs the completion is quite limited.

8. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I have a learning universal remote which I use, but it would sure be nice to be able to turn on the tv via Airplay from ipad / iphone.

I would also love lossless audio and better correct frame rates as 24fps. :)
    If we get an app store then local storage would just be available via the Plex app. This way I could stream everything from my NAS to the Apple TV.

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Universal remote functionality would be great. Add three buttons and I'd be happy: "AV/TV power" and volume up/down. I'd love it if I could turn my TV on and my AV unit on with a single button, and control the AV unit's volume (or TV's volume if you don't have an AV unit,) from the Apple remote.

10. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

ATV has always been a non-starter for me in UK, without BBC iPlayer, ITVplayer, 4OD and Demand5 services.

11. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I do this already via the Harmony One.

12. McScooby macrumors 6502

You guys know you can train the ATV to learn a remote?? Goto settings & it's in there, I binned the ATV remote long ago & just use a bog standard tv remote now to control it!

13. dynaflash macrumors 68020

h.265 is a long way off to being anything really useful, it will get there but a long way off.

14. strwrsfrk macrumors regular

Honestly, I'm okay without the added storage via USB on the ATV if Apple simultaneously updates (via firmware or otherwise) the AirPort Extreme to allow media streaming from attached storage devices.

15. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Yes, either way. I think it would be easier for Apple to normalize that USB port than to build in some kind of network storage option. But either (or ideally BOTH) way(s) would be welcomed. Those of us who had the first generation tend to miss the local storage.

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, but that's big and ugly. I like the small simplicity of the Apple Remote. I have a universal I use for everything else - but when I use AppleTV, I use Apple's remote instead of the universal.

17. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I just discovered this a couple of days ago!

18. ZeroBeat macrumors newbie

They've got to update the look! I'm mostly focused on the Computers side of it.

When I've got 100 odd TV shows (others with way more) trying to get to a show having to go through every show, with every season... I didn't spend hours making my library to look good to have it all just listed... Please!

19. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Geez, being a little harsh there. The Dolby Digital from the 90's that was used on Laserdisc was limited to 384kb/s. DVD upgraded that to 448kb/s. Bluray upgraded that to 640kb/s. Guess which bitrate AppleTV supports. 640kb/s. Very Bluray like. Ya it's not lossless yet, but its still pretty good considering most people put 320kb/s MP3 on par with CD-Audio.

On the video front, the current AppleTV will handle at least 20mb/s H264. I think most people would have an impossible time telling the difference @ 1080P compared to a Blueray.

20. betman macrumors regular

The current Apple TV has problems handing tv shows sold via iTunes, with some getting a jiddery, stuttering picture when played at 1080p and 60Hz.

Apple hasn't been able to solve the issue for months now.

21. HobeSoundDarryl, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

This is a wish list thread. I simply laid out wishes. When one makes wishes, they are usually not wishing for "pretty good" or "good enough", they usually wish for cutting-edge. In the next Mac I buy, a core 2 duo CPU could be pretty good as it was way back when Apple was still using those. In the next iDevice I buy, an A2 chip might be good enough as it was way back when Apple was still using them in iDevices. But I don't wish for old, "pretty good" technology.

Apple is on record for calling Blu Ray a "bag of hurt". That's fine... but give us an alternative that is fully toe-to-toe with it where it matters most- picture & sound quality. In audio, the standards available for years now have thoroughly surpassed what Dolby Digital can deliver in it's max incarnation. Does that mean Dolby Digital is bad? No. Just old. Trying to imply "very blu ray like" is just positive spin. There are much improved audio standards out there, available in cheap <$99 boxes so it's not a cost-of-licensing issue. Apple should license those standards too, rather than clinging to one of the oldest surround sound standards in existance.

The A2 processor and Pentium 4 CPU are old too. Nobody tries to spin an A2 or P4 like it's good enough in wish lists for new phones or macs. For some reason, when it's this "hobby", there's always a few guys who work hard (apparently for free) to support why exactly what Apple chose as THE standard for the current model as "good enough". Before there was an :apple:TV3, there were lots of guys who would passionately argue that 720p is good enough, that 1080p is a gimmick, "the chart", "most people could not see a difference", "99.9% of people…" and so on. Then Apple shifted to 1080p and all that passionate argument against 1080p evaporated.

Why do some of us do this? I don't see similar spin for wanting to cling to "long in tooth" hardware in coming Macs or iDevices. "Most people" couldn't tell if there was an A2 in the next iDevice. "Most people" couldn't tell if there was a core duo in the next new Mac. Modern graphics cards are way overkill for how "most people" use their computers too. And yet, only with this ONE device from Apple is there always this group who spin "as is" as "good enough".

I like Dolby Digital just fine- happy to have it rather than something older and inferior. But audio standards have evolved over time- like Intel CPUs, Graphics Cards, A processors, etc- and the "bag of hurt" has those standards in players <$99 for years now. Since this is a wish list thread, I wish for a new :apple:TV to step it up in this area. DD is just fine but I wish for better in future technology.

22. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

Perhaps you haven't figured out yourself, but what you actualy want is a Mac Mini..........it has all the features you are looking for.

23. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Had the same problem myself... One word... "Playlists". They do wonders for orginazation.

HTH

24. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Since this is a wish list forum for ATV here is mine

Consider 4 models of Mac Mini -

Low end Media player akin to ATV that includes some additional features as others have mentioned such as direct attached external storage, more flexibility on types of files that can be played and of course offer more types of streaming capabilities.

High end Media player that is akin to a lower end Mac Mini and more flexible in higher end build, graphics and "add ons" so people can custom it towards their needs. - Might as well add the ability to play other types of files of video or music.

And of course present Mac Mini plus a half height or so Mac Pro that is a more reduced model that is a more powerful unit that the Mac Mini of today.

That's my take on it. I honestly find the present ATV to be sorely lacking in flexibility but a PERFECT vehicle for getting people to rent/buy from iTunes. This is exactly the way Kodak sold film to the masses, they came out with a cheap camera (instamatics for those that remember with flash cubes). It was a very successful run.

25. APlotdevice, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

A port for an optional camera, which, when attached, would reveal an otherwise hidden FaceTime app.

I believe this would encourage many more consumers to use both Apple's video and voice services.